• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray Suit and Brown Shoes?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOLA1
I couldn't disagree more

ditto.

I wear brown with blue, grey, and brown. I have a gray plaid that doesn't look the best with brown shoes (burgundy is my preference), but my grey flannel and all of my blues look great with various shades of brown shoes.

I just can't get my head around your opinion on this.

b

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
That's more matter of texture than color.
True. But they still look different -- much different.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
True. But they still look different -- much different.

So do black calf shoes and crocodile, it's not the color that's different it's the material. you're missing the point.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's 2008. Wear what you like if you like the look and can can carry it off. That said, I'm far more conservative. But great quality, stylish shoes can work. Me? I love black shoes. And especially with navy, where this seems a faux pas around here. Surprising, as mine look fantastic with my navy pinstripe. With my medium gray suit, I also love my black shoes, but also wear oxblood with them. I have a new pair of Testoni chili cap toe oxfords. They're gorgeous and may wear them with the gray suit soon. I think the trifecta of men's colours work well with charcoal gray, but no light tans, please.
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Me? I love black shoes. And especially with navy, where this seems a faux pas around here. Surprising, as mine look fantastic with my navy pinstripe.

smile.gif

I'm a fan of black shoes, too, especially with navy. I have and wear different shades of brown but I'll never forsake my black.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Jesus would wear some nice, brown C&Js with a light-mid grey outfit.

Blue suits and brown shoes. Lovely.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
A good rule to follow for grey-brown is the lighter the grey, the lighter the brown and likewise the darker the darker.

Really sorry to bump an old thread... figured it was better than making a new one.

Is this the same rule that most people follow? Lighter shoes with lighter pants, etc?

nemuritai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
Really sorry to bump an old thread... figured it was better than making a new one.

Is this the same rule that most people follow? Lighter shoes with lighter pants, etc?

bumped again as I'm wrestling with the ideas in this thread too.

Some books that I have read suggest that the belt should always be darker than the suit.
If this is true then it means that the shoes should also be darker than the suit, in which case it is very hard to match darker suits with brown shoes..
Would too many people disagree if I said that brown is less conservative but still looks good. That is, for everyday use it is fine but if you are having an important meeting (not necessarily business, just "important" then not so much. ) 3 of my shoes are brown and 2 are black so I'm starting to feel I should have a greater number of black shoes.

interested in other, not necessarily agreeing, stories..
PS: nice combination of dark navy blue with brown shoes in this thread, belt is hidden under the closed jacekts though.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manofstyle
With charcoal or navy suits, has to be black shoes... brown shoes look douchey.

Douchiness comes from within.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manofstyle
With charcoal or navy suits, has to be black shoes... brown shoes look douchey.
Burgundy also looks good with navy and charcoal, especially if they're shell cordovan.

kannoos

Reaction score
Patriotism must trump any aesthetic sense here. As an Englishman I feel I must frown upon the wearing of brown shoes with navy or charcoal suits. They are fine with lighter shades of grey, as long as you stick to black for work, any serious or formal occasion, and going out in the evening.

overdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kannoos
as long as you stick to black for work, any serious or formal occasion, and going out in the evening.

Well, unfortunately that covers 99% of the times people wear suits here in the U.S. And most SFers have a brown-to-black shoe ratio of 5-to-1. So we have to find time to wear our brown shoes somehow!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads