• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accountants: Do you like your job?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce9241
I think acccountants are all gay.

This is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.

warmpi

Reaction score
his objective was to make accountants look like bumbling idiots.
he succeeded.

JAY13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by warmpi
his objective was to make accountants look like bumbling idiots.
he succeeded.

Hardly.....
spam[1].gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello accountants. Had to resurrect this thread.

So as many of you know, starting August New York State will require 150 credits (5 years) to earn your accounting degree. Unfortunately for me, I have 100 credits and fall into a ****** position because if this rule wasn't implemented I would have been graduating in December if the 120 credit rule was not changed to 150.

So to the experienced accountants here: What effect do you think this will have on current accounting students and hiring? What about internships? Now that I have fallen into this category when is the ideal time to intern?

Thanks in advance

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Hello accountants. Had to resurrect this thread.

So as many of you know, starting August New York State will require 150 credits (5 years) to earn your accounting degree. Unfortunately for me, I have 100 credits and fall into a ****** position because if this rule wasn't implemented I would have been graduating in December if the 120 credit rule was not changed to 150.

So to the experienced accountants here: What effect do you think this will have on current accounting students and hiring? What about internships? Now that I have fallen into this category when is the ideal time to intern?

Thanks in advance

Johnny, are you sure it's 150 to graduate, or 150 to be eligible for the CPA? Here in CA, you need 120 to get the BA, but 150 if you want to pursue the CPA.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. In NY it's 150 as of August 1st.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No big effect. NY was one of the last major states to hold out. Just about every other state was already on the 150 rule and it's been this way for awhile.

I always thought the best time to intern was after you've completed at least 3 years and are at least 21 years old. Internships have a lot of parties/happy hours and you don't want to be the odd man out not with the rest of your coworkers because you're too young.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Yep. In NY it's 150 as of August 1st.

Man, that's tough. Ours is still 120, so I'll get my BA and then work probably, while taking the extra 30 units of CPA courses (they're offered only at night) if I decide to go for the CPA.
decisions.gif

nicad2000

Reaction score
Regarding the 150 hour rule, you will find it difficult to get hired by a public firm if you don't have a plan in place to get enough hours to become CPA-eligible. In NC, where we've had this requirement for a while, most internships take place after graduation from a four year degree and before entry into the fifth-year masters program. As I'm sure you're aware, most offers from (larger) public firms take place after the internship is concluded.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
There are salary reports issued by the CICA up to 2007. It shows a heavy skew in the median/mean salary of the CAs is mostly due to owner's earnings (partners) and work experience (most CAs in BC - 79% - earned their CAs before 2002 - the majority of CA's in BC are mid-30's or beyond). when you only look at non-owner salaries, the picture is much less rosy.
Agreed. Those stats are the ultimate BS to feed new gradutes. According to the 2007 Alberta survey the average salary for a CA with a CBV is $290,286. I wanted to enroll in the CBV program right after reading that. But when I actually talked to some CBV's at big4 firms, they just laughed when I told them that.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
No big effect. NY was one of the last major states to hold out. Just about every other state was already on the 150 rule and it's been this way for awhile.

I always thought the best time to intern was after you've completed at least 3 years and are at least 21 years old. Internships have a lot of parties/happy hours and you don't want to be the odd man out not with the rest of your coworkers because you're too young.

LOL. Well it's the opposite now because I am 23 years old...

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Agreed. Those stats are the ultimate BS to feed new gradutes.

According to the 2007 Alberta survey the average salary for a CA with a CBV is $290,286. I wanted to enroll in the CBV program right after reading that. But when I actually talked to some CBV's at big4 firms, they just laughed when I told them that.

LOL
drool.gif
I hope to be choosing between a $45K private or govt. job and a $50K public job when I get out, I feel sorry for the people thinking they'll be making that much $

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
LOL
drool.gif
I hope to be choosing between a $45K private or govt. job and a $50K public job when I get out, I feel sorry for the people thinking they'll be making that much $

You don't get the CBV straight out of school so your comparison is invalid. From my understanding, CBV tend to make more $ because they value assets and because they tend to be more experienced (= more $).

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
You don't get the CBV straight out of school so your comparison is invalid. From my understanding, CBV tend to make more $ because they value assets and because they tend to be more experienced (= more $).
True, but $290K is nowhere near what your average CBV in public practice is making, unless they're a partner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads