• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

GeoPa58

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I did 2.5 miles today, first time running in about 20 days (when I did ~4 mi). I've been dealing with some serious back pain, but it's getting better. Running actually helps it as it loosens me up. There's a 5k I want to run in about 4 weeks, so I've got to get geared up for that.

Sit ups usually help my back pain, at least over a period of a couple of days. A little speed work (intervals) might also improve a 5k time. Your mileage may vary! -G

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still getting over foot pain that sidelined me a month ago. Getting used to orthotics and down to about 3 miles every other day
frown.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeoPa58
Sit ups usually help my back pain, at least over a period of a couple of days. A little speed work (intervals) might also improve a 5k time. Your mileage may vary! -G

I do a series of stretches and ab work every day. It does help, but this has been a particularly bad flare up. I've decided I've got some sort of sciatica/pinched nerve back there. Running and exercise actually helps it feel better. I'm going to have to go see a doc about it, though.

Young Pro

Reaction score
I'm new to this whole running thing. I'm 26, and until a month or so ago, had never done any serious dedicated cardio work in my life. I had always stayed in shape by playing sports (basketball, volleyball and tennis), but it's getting harder to work those into my schedule and I had definitely gotten out of shape.

I started running twice a week and biking twice a week about 6 weeks ago. I'm up to about 6 miles per run (in ~46 minutes, so not exactly a blistering pace) and 18 miles in 50 minutes on the bike (at the gym, on a cardio program designed to keep my hear rate around 155). Any future suggestions are definitely welcome.

I must say I'm enjoying it so far. Thanks guys, some of the posts here helped get me started (mostly because I'm competitive, lol...)

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Pro
I'm new to this whole running thing. I'm 26, and until a month or so ago, had never done any serious dedicated cardio work in my life. I had always stayed in shape by playing sports (basketball, volleyball and tennis), but it's getting harder to work those into my schedule and I had definitely gotten out of shape.

I started running twice a week and biking twice a week about 6 weeks ago. I'm up to about 6 miles per run (in ~46 minutes, so not exactly a blistering pace) and 18 miles in 50 minutes on the bike (at the gym, on a cardio program designed to keep my hear rate around 155). Any future suggestions are definitely welcome.

I must say I'm enjoying it so far. Thanks guys, some of the posts here helped get me started (mostly because I'm competitive, lol...)

I'd say a 6 miler in 46 minutes is very good pace.

indy116

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theguy
I just started running a couple weeks ago.
I always start with about 5-7 minutes of fast paced walking on an incline, then jog for the rest of the time with some fast walking in between(when I get winded).

Started by doing 1.25 miles, and now 2 weeks later im up to 2.75 miles in 37 minutes.
Is that decent for a 24 y/o male with slight asthma?
I take a 2-3 day break in between. Is this necessary for my muscles to rest or can I go 5-7 days a week?
I'm also doing some light lifting 3 days a week.

thanks in advance all

I've only been at the running thing for a few months now. Slowly but surely working towards 5 miles. I've been using the music mixes from Podrunner Intervals to give me some motivation and discipline on when I should walk and run during the workout. Having the blocked off times to catch my breath really helped me through the running parts.

I've been running just three days a week and lifting a day or two and/or elliptical stuff a day or two each week (5 days a week working out usually, sometimes 6). You should do what your muscles feel comfortable with. If it starts to hurt, then you're doing too much. Doing the warmups and cool downs are very important, so keep on doing them.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
A side question, does anyone have a recommendation for decent (but not overly expensive) headphones for running? When it gets warm the earbuds get sweaty and slip out of my ear.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 miles in 13:57 barefoot.
smile.gif

jwied82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Pro

6 miles in 46 is quite good considering you just started running, and you probably have alot of room for improvement.
You sound about like me when i started running.. had always stayed in shape through sports but never did any dedicated cardio.. then i started running a little on the treadmill at the gym, found i enjoyed it and was better at it than i thought, and gradually got hooked on running.

Hopefully you keep enjoying it. Just gradually up your mileage and speed and you and you'll be in good shape.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A run before breakfast is twice a run. A breakfast after a good run is twice a breakfast.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 miles today. Began training for the Long Beach Marathon in October. The goal is under 4 hours or it's a complete bust.

Young Pro

Reaction score
6 miles in 45:20 on the treadmill today. Goal for now is a 45-minute 10km.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About to go out for a 4.5 trail run. I need to sweat out some alcohol, thank god its 100 degrees out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads