• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw Denim: Pros and Cons of Dry Cleaning vs. Wash

TDV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
My point was that his argument assumed that all people wear their jeans through the same activities and for equal amounts of time so that the only possible factor between blowing out and not blowing out jeans had to do with the number of times washed. It's a tiny bit of truth that has been misunderstood, wrongly interpreted, and then regurgitated as fact.
That's because it IS a fact. Oil/sweat/dirt/acid from the skin keeps cotton from drying out. Cotton in a constant dirty 'moist' state will deteriorate much faster than cotton that is washed frequently of all salts, dirt, oils and allowed to fully dry. But hey, wear your jeans in a filthy state with holes in the crotch, it's not my problem..

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
How can this even be a question? You got nine good months out of them. What's the worse that will happen if you do wash them? Sky will fall? Earth spin of its axis? If your so worried about the perfect new indigo look, just ******* throw them out and buy a new pair.

Amen preach it

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TDV
That's because it IS a fact.
Sweat deteriorates cotton is a fact, however, you're taking this one statement and applying it to your own unsubstantiated logic: "People who wash their jeans all the time have them last forever." "People who don't wash get crotch tears much faster because ballsweat eats up the cotton." STOP MAKING BULLSHIT BLANKET STATEMENTS. THIS IS HOW BULLSHIT GETS SPREAD AROUND FROM NOOB TO NOOB. You're FALSELY assuming the following: -Everyone sweats the same (composition and amount.) -Everyone wears their jeans for the same amount of time per day (thus, they are constantly "moist.") -Everyone lives in the same climate conditions. -Everyone wears their jeans under the same stress conditions. -Everyone wears the same jeans using the same denim and construction. -Regular washing prevents cotton abrasions, stress, and, ultimately, failure. -Not washing guarantees cotton abrasions, stress, and, ultimately, failure. Tears have MUCH more to do with how long and hard a person wears their jeans along with the type and weight of denim than sweat alone. SWEAT IS NOT HYDROCHLORIC ACID. I have jeans that I've waited months to soak, I have jeans that I washed after a few weeks when I deemed them dirty. How many holes do I have in my jeans from sweat? Zero and YMMV.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweat deteriorates cotton is a fact, however, you're taking this one statement and applying it to your own unsubstantiated logic:
"People who wash their jeans all the time have them last forever."
"People who don't wash get crotch tears much faster because ballsweat eats up the cotton."

STOP MAKING BULLSHIT BLANKET STATEMENTS. THIS IS HOW BULLSHIT GETS SPREAD AROUND FROM NOOB TO NOOB.

You're FALSELY assuming the following:
-Everyone sweats the same (composition and amount.)
-Everyone wears their jeans for the same amount of time per day (thus, they are constantly "moist.")
-Everyone lives in the same climate conditions.
-Everyone wears their jeans under the same stress conditions.
-Everyone wears the same jeans using the same denim and construction.
-Regular washing prevents cotton abrasions, stress, and, ultimately, failure.
-Not washing guarantees cotton abrasions, stress, and, ultimately, failure.

Tears have MUCH more to do with how long and hard a person wears their jeans along with the type and weight of denim than sweat alone. SWEAT IS NOT HYDROCHLORIC ACID.

I have jeans that I've waited months to soak, I have jeans that I washed after a few weeks when I deemed them dirty. How many holes do I have in my jeans from sweat? Zero and YMMV.

LOL. someone got mad.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
LOL. someone got mad.
It's the same bullshit, different day. Like trying to put out a fire of stupidity with a Dixie cup. I'm surprised you took a break from your date with WoW and your left hand long enough to type out your response.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the same bullshit, different day. Like trying to put out a fire of stupidity with a Dixie cup.

I'm surprised you took a break from your date with WoW and your left hand long enough to type out your response.

lewl. you sure do have a lot of pent up anger.

Honestly though, you're the one with 10k+ posts.

brohymn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
lewl. you sure do have a lot of pent up anger.

Honestly though, you're the one with 10k+ posts.

You're the worst kind of human being if you can't even admit to being wrong.

dsbkoko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brohymn
You're the worst kind of human being if you can't even admit to being wrong.

Am I missing something? Bubbly didn't even write anything in this thread except his two one sentence responses starting with "LOL". Why all the caveman-like anger?

TDV

Reaction score
Sweat deteriorates cotton is a fact, however, you're taking this one statement and applying it to your own unsubstantiated logic: "People who wash their jeans all the time have them last forever." "People who don't wash get crotch tears much faster because ballsweat eats up the cotton." STOP MAKING BULLSHIT BLANKET STATEMENTS. THIS IS HOW BULLSHIT GETS SPREAD AROUND FROM NOOB TO NOOB. You're FALSELY assuming the following: -Everyone sweats the same (composition and amount.) -Everyone wears their jeans for the same amount of time per day (thus, they are constantly "moist.") -Everyone lives in the same climate conditions. -Everyone wears their jeans under the same stress conditions. -Everyone wears the same jeans using the same denim and construction. -Regular washing prevents cotton abrasions, stress, and, ultimately, failure. -Not washing guarantees cotton abrasions, stress, and, ultimately, failure. Tears have MUCH more to do with how long and hard a person wears their jeans along with the type and weight of denim than sweat alone. SWEAT IS NOT HYDROCHLORIC ACID. I have jeans that I've waited months to soak, I have jeans that I washed after a few weeks when I deemed them dirty. How many holes do I have in my jeans from sweat? Zero and YMMV.
Sweat contains salt, which absorbs moisture keeping the jeans damp even when their owner is not wearing them and builds up with each day of wear.. The skin is acidic enough when mixed with salt and oil to destroy cotton fibers within a relatively short time depending on saturation. Given two of the same jeans worn the same amount of time by the same user in the same climate under the same stress conditions in other controlled environment factors the frequently WASHED pair will far OUTLAST the pair that gets washed once every 3-6 months and also that will allow wait why am I arguing with a pseudo intellectual?? I better not spread anymore FACTS around or you might actually learn something. There are numerous articles written by denim experts (like Yoshiyuki Iwagishi - not that I expect you know who that is) discussing frequent washing extending the life of jeans.

Reaction score
what if you throw them in the dryer with a few fabric softeners? im a denim noob excuse me haha

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by straight up raw
what if you throw them in the dryer with a few fabric softeners? im a denim noob excuse me haha

it won't clean it but it will make it smell good (depending if you like the smell of fabric softener?)

nocoolonesleft

Reaction score
Wash your goddamn jeans if they are dirty/smell.
cry.gif

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TDV
Sweat contains salt, which absorbs moisture keeping the jeans damp even when their owner is not wearing them and builds up with each day of wear.. The skin is acidic enough when mixed with salt and oil to destroy cotton fibers within a relatively short time depending on saturation. Given two of the same jeans worn the same amount of time by the same user in the same climate under the same stress conditions in other controlled environment factors the frequently WASHED pair will far OUTLAST the pair that gets washed once every 3-6 months and also that will allow

wait why am I arguing with a pseudo intellectual??

I better not spread anymore FACTS around or you might actually learn something. There are numerous articles written by denim experts (like Yoshiyuki Iwagishi - not that I expect you know who that is) discussing frequent washing extending the life of jeans.

Jesus. learn to read.

You are both right, you just made a blanket statement that NEEDED clarification. He did that.

But keep spouting off, you are super ******* cool.

TDV

Reaction score
yep I'm one of those guys who loves spreading around ignorant blanket statements all the time with no logic whatsoever I'm so glad there are members like whodini to keep me in check

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads