• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to buy for Korean Girlfriend's parents

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VolsVolsVols
I'd buy them a plane ticket and a green card so that they could move to a real country.
Like where?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Right, or Somalia. "Real Countries"

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jesus, dating a Korean girl must suck. You are gonna be broke before long if you are going to be buying expensive gifts every time you see her parents. One thing I can say about some of the (traditional) Korean dudes living in the US - they love to spend their money on women and "treat them right", at least financially. Pretty sure most of it comes from their parents too. Very materialistic culture.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Jesus, dating a Korean girl must suck. You are gonna be broke before long if you are going to be buying expensive gifts every time you see her parents. One thing I can say about some of the (traditional) Korean dudes living in the US - they love to spend their money on women and "treat them right", at least financially. Pretty sure most of it comes from their parents too. Very materialistic culture.

I thought it's his first time visiting. Yes, I have met some very materialistc korean girl/guy as well, but I wouldn't knock the whole boat. They do love brand names, especially the young crowd. By the way how come no one has mentioned Californian wine, that's one thing American does superbly. You can probably get some nice Robert Mondavi for 100 dollars, or if you want to impress I suppose OplusOne is the way to go.

P.S. not sure about in Korea, but in Taiwan, French wine has higher regards even if they're not necessary better than California ones (in my opinion)

Edit: Opus One, not Oplus One

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
I thought it's his first time visiting. Yes, I have met some very materialistc korean girl/guy as well, but I wouldn't knock the whole boat. They do love brand names, especially the young crowd. By the way how come no one has mentioned Californian wine, that's one thing American does superbly. You can probably get some nice Robert Mondavi for 100 dollars, or if you want to impress I suppose OplusOne is the way to go.

P.S. not sure about in Korea, but in Taiwan, French wine has higher regards even if they're not necessary better than California ones (in my opinion)

True not all Koreans. Some of the Korean girls I've met (in the US) have been very down to earth and did not expect to be treated like a princess. However many of the guys were the "big spender" types. Can't generalize it to all of them, but perhaps it is an indication of the culture. Then again, maybe not.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose there is off beat to everything, for example, contray to what other says all the eastern european girls I met didn't care about money.

OP: Sorry for the hijacking, I am serious about wine though, whisky is probably a good idea as well, but I don't know if there are any "American" whisky that is known for, not a hard liquor drinker here besides vodka shots

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Going to China? Let me know if you're in Beijing.
smile.gif

You haven't met the parents before, but I'd bet my right nut that the dad plays golf of some kind. Find out his size and get him a pair of golf shoes, or other golf related clothes that will fit him. For the mom, you can't go wrong with designer handbags!

What will really impress them is rather than buy them expensive designer crap, if you get a chance to go to a store before you go there, pick up one of the gift-boxes of fruit. Don't skimp, get like the nicest gift boxes you can find (either fruit or tea). They'll really appreciate that, and they'll know exactly how much you spent on it as well (thus, don't skimp!). Regardless though, expect to be at an arms length of them for a while and for them to dislike you (it might be obvious, it might not be) but as long as you're a nice guy and you treat them with respect and try to get to know them, they'll accept you as family eventually.

Hey Eason thanks for all the great advice, its probably the only legit advice on here. Sure I might hit you up when Im in Beijing, the program Im in is pretty long throughout the day but there might be nights...

Thanks for all the advice guys (good and bad). I think Im just going to go with a nice kind of pastry/cake from Taiwan ( those things are so damn good...)

And Vols, you still ******* cock.
drool.gif
Thanks!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Im visiting my Korean girlfriend in Korea soon (I'm Asian too, not Korean though) and I was wondering what I should buy her parents. This is my first time meeting them, she has visited my house three times and bought small gifts each time. I'm not too creative about the whole gift thing....

I will be visiting Asia (China, Taiwan) before going to Korea so many options are open!
Guys...Eason, help??

For some reason, korean people LOVE peanuts and such OR ginseng. They think that Ginseng is like the ultimate gift. If you are at the Incheon Airport, they sell it in all different packaging. Just a really common gift I suppose.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Hey Eason thanks for all the great advice, its probably the only legit advice on here. Sure I might hit you up when Im in Beijing, the program Im in is pretty long throughout the day but there might be nights...

Thanks for all the advice guys (good and bad). I think Im just going to go with a nice kind of pastry/cake from Taiwan ( those things are so damn good...)

And Vols, you still ******* cock.
drool.gif
Thanks!

Be careful with golf accessories. Only the rich play golf in Korea, so you dont want to insult him if he doesnt play. Ask your girlfriend first before getting him anything golf related. Also korean people who golf love the ultra high end brands like Honma and such. Ping and Taylor Made are childs play there.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
I suppose there is off beat to everything, for example, contray to what other says all the eastern european girls I met didn't care about money.

OP: Sorry for the hijacking, I am serious about wine though, whisky is probably a good idea as well, but I don't know if there are any "American" whisky that is known for, not a hard liquor drinker here besides vodka shots

If you are going to go with Alcohol, koreans love Chivas and Johnnie Walker.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've never understood expensive fruit baskets.

I don't want food as a gift.

Actually, in the korean culture, when you go over to someones house it is custom to bring a box of fruits. Dont know why, they just end up going to waste....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads