• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Functional non-sleeve buttons

dsmolken

Reaction score
If you're not to button the bottom button of a jacket, why do we still bother to make that buttonhole functional? I mean, a fake buttonhole or one with some thread just closing the middle would keep many millions of men from making the mistake of buttoning it. And it might cost a fraction of a cent less so low-end RTW brands really should be doing it. I mean, that button works even on suits with fake lapel buttonholes. That makes no sense.

Is the real function of that button to make it easier to distinguish between the classy folk and "the masses"?

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Because they would loose sales from idiots who think you button it. They would move on to the next suit w/ a working buttonhole.

+1 And if you're forgetting, there's a market for four-button suits and people who wear those button up all of those. There's a lot of confusion in the air and a lot of money to be captured. That's why they don't put in a button that DOESN'T WORK.

Toorman

Reaction score
got to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I find one-button suits too austere.

Also, putting in working buttonholes, even when it's not necessary, is often used as a sign of craftsmanship (like working cuffs, which should never be left unbuttoned).

Finally, the lower button can come in handy. Walking outside on a windy day, it's preferable to button both buttons than to have your jacket flapping around in the wind, IMO.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketTriangle
Also, putting in working buttonholes, even when it's not necessary, is often used as a sign of craftsmanship (like working cuffs, which should never be left unbuttoned).

Like having a working lapel button. Often there is no associated button underneath the other lapel but it is still nice to have a real buttonhole there...handy if you want to shove a flower in there.

I saw philadelphia story last week and there was a scene where cary grant had his lapels up and buttoned on his jacket and it looked great (also...saw Notorious last night and while it was neither Grant nor Hitchcock's best work, there were some nice looking suits).

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I saw philadelphia story last week and there was a scene where cary grant had his lapels up and buttoned on his jacket and it looked great (also...saw Notorious last night and while it was neither Grant nor Hitchcock's best work, there were some nice looking suits).

Interesting as we are strongly considering having a button hole lapel with a button on the underside of the opposite lapel on a new model of the Benjamin suit, as I myself have flipped my lapels up on chilly days when I'm caught without a coat. hmmmm...

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eHaberdasher
Interesting as we are strongly considering having a button hole lapel with a button on the underside of the opposite lapel on a new model of the Benjamin suit, as I myself have flipped my lapels up on chilly days when I'm caught without a coat. hmmmm...

we always placed that button on top coats and over coats. called it the storm button.
it comes handy in a storm.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Storm buttons are completely rational, as are bottom buttons which can be used when the wind keeps blowing up your skirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads