• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Contest

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mauro, i'll take the filippa k melton coat. hahahahahahahaha

Linwe

Reaction score
I don't think Mauro's target market for women are university students and pimping out the clothes to hipsters and trendwhores will do much and could detriment the classy and sophisticated feel he has to the website and probably the store. The clothes for women (with the exception of the denim and some casualwear) are beautiful floaty dresses and tailored pieces which professional women would buy over students. Don't go and cheapen that. I love the fact that Mauro's focused on the shape, cut and fabric of the pieces opposed to trends...that oversized, baggy trend in women's clothing is fugly and he's refreshingly without it!
biggrin.gif
(for those who may have missed, I'm a girl)

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
mauro, i'll take the filippa k melton coat. hahahahahahahaha

someone brought a professional gambler to a friday night poker party.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about becoming a men's only store?
laugh.gif

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I've gotten more then enough from Mauro in the past so I'm not trying to win anything, just having a bit of fun putting off studying for finals. So yall can slow your motherfuckin roll.

I thought it was a cute idea, but maybe the phrase "another dc boutique" could be substituted for the specific retailers.

But yeah Kunk brings grown up talk to the table.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamha21
How about becoming a men's only store?
laugh.gif

if it only it was that easy, i think i remember mauro telling me 60% of his business is/was women's, so i don't know if becoming an all men's store would really be a smart idea. kunk wins in my opinion and mauro you know where to get some t-shirts made if you holler... or when in doubt involve strippers, strippers just make everything better!

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
georgetown uni is a private uni, ALL THE KIDS ARE GONNA HAVE MONEY AND WANNA SPEND IT.

Mauro, i think your best bet would be an attempt to target large universities around the US. UCLA would be a great place to start (i actually know a designer as well that is lookin for a retailer( and is a student in the fashion club) and if you negotiated with her it would get a lot of buzz about farinellis going around here)

you could even start a contest with youre liasons at each university. Say, $100 spending credit for every 5 referrals. with liasons, all the beauracracy surrounding advertising a clubs, etc could be dealt with by the liason and not you! saving you time.

since there are a lot of universities, target ones located in large cities like UCLA, UC Berkeley, NYU, etc.

stocking some "trendier" items may help too. that way you can cater to the sophisticated crowd, or the trendy crowd.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I thought it was a cute idea, but maybe the phrase "another dc boutique" could be substituted for the specific retailers.

No, I think that he should call them out. "Barneys, **** you. Bloomingdales, **** you too. You think you have a better place, well then **** you too! **** all haters. Take all comers." Actually, maybe put that in print.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
unless he is realistically going to open all across the us, regional is the way to go. la has 8 million ******* stores for corny southern cal girls to shop. highly illogical.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you overestimate the amount of college kids that have a lot of money. I mean sure there are some, but I'm not sure if there are enough to solve Mauro's problem.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wasn;t a bad idea at all, but a big retail store can always beat you on price-the big boys in retail are bleeding and dropping the limbo stick every season.

Originally Posted by Magician
FWIW I've gotten more then enough from Mauro in the past so I'm not trying to win anything, just having a bit of fun putting off studying for finals. So yall can slow your motherfuckin roll.

But yeah Kunk brings grown up talk to the table.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
unless he is realistically going to open all across the us, regional is the way to go. la has 8 million ******* stores for corny southern cal girls to shop. highly illogical.

More man talk.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, more sophisticated take on my first idea Your New Favorite Store just Opened Farinelli's in Clarendon VA. To prove it, bring in a bag or receipt from your old favorite store and we'll give you 30% off

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wether or not college kids have money, they spend! ( sadly I know several people with way to much credit card debit)

the other thing about college kids is that so many of them dont have cars/can't really go very far from campus. because of this, online shopping is king.

i speak from personal experience, half (if not more) of my wardrobe was bought online since I have come to college...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
borrowed interest is a good idea. people have mentioned concerts or shows. pick a band/bands that appeal to your intended demo. i don't know DC well geographically, but find a nice outdoor space that allows permits and sponsor a show or co-sponsor one with a local tavern or eatery so they provide the sustenance and you provide very little but your name. a nice mix of jazz, alt, etc. could bring different demos together.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads