• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake "comfort" range, anyone?

Ziss

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a a pair of brown balmoral brogues in the lower price range with some form of rubber sole. Basically, what I need is a pair of shoes that I can wear on rainy days without worrying about ruining them.

These caught my attention:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

Soles aren't completely rubber, but I'm thinking the insert and rubber heels will be sufficient protection against moist. They're from the "Comfort" range though, which I'm not familiar with. Has anyone tried a pair? How is the leather quality in comparison with the 1880 range? Any other thoughts about them?

Also, secondary, I noticed they're only available in the G (wide) width. Would it be a good idea for me to go down half a size if I usually wear normal width shoes of other brands?

Thanks to anyone who can help,

Gutman

Reaction score
Doesn't look like corrected grain in the photo, but nothing wrong with corrected grain for your work-horse wet weather shoes. They look like a nice shoe. The full grain leather on some of the 1880s coming out now looks very soft and porous, and I wouldn't want to wear those on a rainy day. And i don't think they would hold up to extended use that well.

sl33p3rs

Reaction score
I also was waiting for detailed information on these type of shoes.

If you get them please please let use know your experience.
db60b95decdeed944b4cd8685417cfdc.jpg
smile.gif

Good luck on the purchase.

greyinla

Reaction score
For rainy day shoes, I'd get something with a full rubber or dainite sole, or just topy something. And I'd be wary of trying to size down on a G last if you are a normal with. Seems like a lot to spend for something that might only be half right.

Don't know about the loake comfort range, but it might be worth contacting customer service about the leather and last fitting--they're usually pretty quick to respond.

Ziss

Reaction score
I mailed a bit with Herring shoes and Loake customer service. The leather is not corrected grain, and they're supposedly similar to the 1880 range in quality.

After trying on a few Loake shoes, it seems like their size 7Fs are the right length for me, but a bit too tight. So I think a 7G could fit me nicely.

I've ordered a pair.
smile.gif
I'll update this thread when I get them in case anyone is interested.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ziss
I mailed a bit with Herring shoes and Loake customer service. The leather is not corrected grain, and they're supposedly similar to the 1880 range in quality.

After trying on a few Loake shoes, it seems like their size 7Fs are the right length for me, but a bit too tight. So I think a 7G could fit me nicely.

I've ordered a pair.
smile.gif
I'll update this thread when I get them in case anyone is interested.

awesome, keep us updated.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
awesome, keep us updated.
+1 My dad has bad feet and has pretty much sworn of real shoes for trainers, I wouldn't mind getting him some of these if they are comfy. So do please let us know how they are

Trackmane

Reaction score
I recently bought the Loake Kew (In the comfort collection) from herringshoes and am very pleased. IMO the leather is the same quality as 1880's and an almost identical fit. I would NOT recommend sizing 1/2 down because of the G width. I did, and had to have the shoes stretched.

Luckily, it worked out and the shoes fit almost perfectly. If I could do it again, though, I would order the same size I've ordered my other Loake's in.

I feel a slight difference in the CCS system, but it is slight, and should NOT be interpreted as a "real Comfort shoe." Instead, I'd classify it as a slightly more comfortable shoe than you are used to from Loake.

If you need REAL relief from the traditional trainer, then look elsewhere, but if you want something that is gentler on your feet, then look no further

Trackmane

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trackmane
I recently bought the Loake Kew (In the comfort collection) from herringshoes and am very pleased. IMO the leather is the same quality as 1880's and an almost identical fit. I would NOT recommend sizing 1/2 down because of the G width. I did, and had to have the shoes stretched.

Luckily, it worked out and the shoes fit almost perfectly. If I could do it again, though, I would order the same size I've ordered my other Loake's in.

I feel a slight difference in the CCS system, but it is slight, and should NOT be interpreted as a "real Comfort shoe." Instead, I'd classify it as a slightly more comfortable shoe than you are used to from Loake.

If you need REAL relief from the traditional trainer, then look elsewhere, but if you want something that is gentler on your feet, then look no further

Trackmane

thanks for the feedback

Ziss

Reaction score

(The shoes are a bit darker than they appear to be in these pics)

Ze shoes have arrived! The size turned out to be nearly perfect. Can't really tell until I've walked in them for a while, though. But it almost makes me think maybe that's actually the right size for me. Hrm.

For reference, I wear (UK sizes):
7.5E in Crockett and Jones last 236 (but could probably go down half a size)
7.5F in Church's last 73

Anyway. Leather quality seems to be good, definitely not corrected grain. I don't have any Loake 1880 to compare with, but it's far better than the other Loake (non 1880s) I've tried on in stores, so I assume the leather is the same as the 1880 line. It's a bit softer than the pair of C&Js I compared them to. I'm not sure if they do something to it to soften up the leather. If so, hopefully it doesn't affect the lifespan of the shoes.

The big "comfort" part, I assume, is the thick insole. Which, admittedly, makes them a bit easier on the feet. Better than your average dress shoe, at least initially. The sole also seems a bit more "bendable".

I'll update this thread when I've used them for a few months (if I can remember).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads