• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where else to source a Baracuta jacket?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent some time searching, but didn't come across an answer.

Besides the website, is there any brick and mortar store in SoCal or New York that one can try on and purchase a Baracuta G9 slim fit. I live in SoCal but will be visiting NYC in about a month, so either locale works for me.

If not, any U.S. based online sellers with decent exchange/return policies so I can try on the jacket first?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Jcrew, but the markup is pretty lame.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
Jcrew, but the markup is pretty lame.

I guess I should specify the "Baracuta" brand - but now I'm suspecting it's available only on their UK-based webstore.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
yes, Jcrew sells Baracuta brand harringtons.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Blue in Green Soho when yer in NYC has the Baracuta slimfit G9s in store
Legion in LA (on Larchmont) carries a few Baracuta items, tho not sure if I've seen a harrington in there

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, I got mine from J.Crew online.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys.

Robbie - you're right, on both counts (Jcrew and the markup).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know you said you wanted to try on first or online in the US, but OiPolloi.com in the UK has them for a not insane price.

When I ordered mine it was GBP120 - VAT + 12.50 shipping for a total of GBP111.49.
Looks like they've gone up since then but it still works out to under $200.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
alright, so o/t on some levels.

I own a baracuta, and don't really like it TBH. I found it at a thrift store, and I think its the fit. But the fit combined with the price of Baracuta has me asking why they are so prevalent... is it just that much of a staple? It seems like a Ben Sherman,JtG,et cetera would be as good. Is it a matter of construction/quality... or just tradition/brand heritage?

And I know Baracuta has the best clans tartan lining it, but aside from that really is there enough difference to warrant the price difference between baracuta and its competitors?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
alright, so o/t on some levels. I own a baracuta, and don't really like it TBH. I found it at a thrift store, and I think its the fit. But the fit combined with the price of Baracuta has me asking why they are so prevalent... is it just that much of a staple? It seems like a Ben Sherman,JtG,et cetera would be as good. Is it a matter of construction/quality... or just tradition/brand heritage? And I know Baracuta has the best clans tartan lining it, but aside from that really is there enough difference to warrant the price difference between baracuta and its competitors?
There is really not that much difference between the Baracuta brand and one of the decent knockoff brands. They are somewhat higher quality with better details but IMO not enough better to justify the price disparity. For me I have about 7 or so Harrington type jackets and pick one only based on the color. The quality is decent enough across the board that there's no reason IMO to reach for the actual Baracuta. And actually, the Lands' End one I altered myself fits the best of any, even compared to my slimfit G9. Altering any of these to fit slimmer is ridiculously easy.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I own a baracuta, and don't really like it TBH. I found it at a thrift store, and I think its the fit. But the fit combined with the price of Baracuta has me asking why they are so prevalent... is it just that much of a staple? It seems like a Ben Sherman,JtG,et cetera would be as good. Is it a matter of construction/quality... or just tradition/brand heritage?

And I know Baracuta has the best clans tartan lining it, but aside from that really is there enough difference to warrant the price difference between baracuta and its competitors?

FWIW, the vintage Baracutas found in US thrift stores or on eBay (most) were made by Van Heusen back when Baracuta licensed out the US market (much like YSL, Lanvin etc.). They were made in Korea/Taiwan and quality doesn't compare to current Baracuta goods, made in England or Romania.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

Robbie, tbh you'll get a better fitting harrington from brands other than baracuta. At worst it will be the same, but like 50-75% cheaper. It's a cotton lightweight jacket, there's only so much "quality" that can be put into the thing. IMO if you want a harrington the Jump the Gun or Warrior ones offer the best value of fit & price. Baracuta the brand has some pedigree because that was what guys wore in the 50s that made it iconic (Rodney Harrington aka Ryan O Neal on Peyton Place, Sinatra, Elvis, McQueen etc) but that's primarily because there were no other options unless you got a different jacket like the McGregor Drizzler. I don't think it was til the mid 60s when the knockoff harrington became more commonplace for the terrace lads.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^GS, where can I find these Jump the Gun or Warrior jackets in a slim fit model? Based on what was discussed above, I really don't want to (or see the need the need to) spend upwards of $200 on a Baracuta jacket.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ http://www.jumpthegun.co.uk/

Baron does own a JTG Harrington and has posted a review somewhere. Lemmesee...

Originally Posted by Baron
The quality of the Harrington is pretty clearly not in the same class as Baracuta. The lining, rather than being a dense cotton flannel, is more of a loosely woven acrylic. The shell is 65% poly/ 35% cotton, rather then Baracuta's 100% cotton (with a teflon coating). All that said, I like the way this fits and the quality is perfectly fine for a casual windbreaker. It cost $75 shipped, and the cheapest you can find a comparable Baracuta is about $150 from Modual on the B&S forum. I know there's a cheap deal on Ben Sherman Harringtons from overstock.com, but they only have navy and red and I really wanted cream/beige. I think I like the idea of cheap Harringtons as they're pretty painless to replace and I might want a different color in a year or two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads