• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best longwings?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BWB
Thank you for the link. I have an obvious noob question. What is the difference between Alden of Carmel and the Aldenshop in San Fran? Thanks for the help.

Oddly enough, Alden of Carmel is located in Washington state not too far from Seattle.
They don't have a physical shop.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
If you gave me only one burgundy longwing to wear for the rest of my life, I would choose Florsheim old stock.

If you are looking for cool, rare colors, you can't compete with Alden. They are the only ones doing that.

Rider does a very large variety of colors in shell, too, even more so than Alden. Longwings would be a custom order; however, he has a quick turnaround.

Eagle

Reaction score
My choice for the best(?) longwings (at least of those presently in my collection) would be Alden's #975, in #8 shell cord! A close second would be AE's MacNeils in grained chili calf.

Elgin

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have replied, but I'm not really interested in buying used shoes. From what I gather here, Alden, A-E, Florsheim, and only one other company are actually making longwings. Is that surprising? (It surprises me.)

If I wanted to buy an new pair of old stock, any ideas where I might do that besides ebay?

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Elgin
Thanks to all who have replied, but I'm not really interested in buying used shoes. From what I gather here, Alden, A-E, Florsheim, and only one other company are actually making longwings. Is that surprising? (It surprises me.)

I am one person who has to adhere to a strict budget.
For my money, I'd rather buy 4 pair of Florsheim Kenmooors than one pair of Alden.

I would buy the Pebbled Cognac, Burgundy & Pebbled Black & Smooth Black.
For my feet, The Florsheim Kenmoors are more than comfortable enough.
Others will say buy one pair of Alden over 3 pair of Florsheim.
Though Aldens are higher quality for sure, in my opinion, the Florshiem Kenmoor is great quality for the price, and the comfort is on par with Allen Edmonds, again, in my opinion.

If I wanted to buy an new pair of old stock, any ideas where I might do that besides ebay?
Other than Ebay?

Google using keywords: Longwing + Vintage, Deadstock, Clerance, Clearout, Seconds, Discontinued

Elgin

Reaction score
"I am one person who has to adhere to a strict budget.
For my money, I'd rather buy 4 pair of Florsheim Kenmooors than one pair of Alden."

I totally agree here. People on here are aficionados, I guess, and constantly bitching that quality ain't great. I'm proud to say (well, not proud exactly, but at least pleased) I bought a pair of Banana Republic chukka boots 6 or 7 years ago, have worn them repeatedly in a row, never put trees in them, and had them resoled a half dozen times. I paid 100 bucks, and they still look amazing. I get zillions of compliments on them.

I'm all for quality, but only up to a point. Style is much more important.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently got these from the B&S Forum which I like a lot...vintage Hanover longwings.

Hanover.jpg

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Elgin
"I am one person who has to adhere to a strict budget.
For my money, I'd rather buy 4 pair of Florsheim Kenmooors than one pair of Alden."

I'm all for quality, but only up to a point. Style is much more important.

Shop around and get the highest quality available for a given budget. That is the essence of the B&S forum...sort of.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want whiskey shell longwings like whoa

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nexus6;2059725 said:
I am one person who has to adhere to a strict budget.
For my money, I'd rather buy 4 pair of Florsheim Kenmooors than one pair of Alden.

I would buy the Pebbled Cognac, Burgundy & Pebbled Black & Smooth Black.
For my feet, The Florsheim Kenmoors are more than comfortable enough.
Others will say buy one pair of Alden over 3 pair of Florsheim.
Though Aldens are higher quality for sure, in my opinion, the Florshiem Kenmoor is great quality for the price, and the comfort is on par with Allen Edmonds, again, in my opinion.

Smart man!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
If you gave me only one burgundy longwing to wear for the rest of my life, I would choose Florsheim old stock.

If you are looking for cool, rare colors, you can't compete with Alden. They are the only ones doing that.

I found these burgundy very old stock Florsheim Imperial Shell Cordovan Longwings today in a Thrift.

They are ancient, but as you can see, with a good cleaning(damp cloth only) and a smidgen(and I mean a tiny bit) of Cordovan Cream they look marvelous. Great patina.

Anyway to date them? They have a very deep forest green label inside.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads