• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting Off The Married Life

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Starting a family is entirely possible without having a piece of paper that says you're together with some woman, and people don't need to go through a few ceremonies just to make kids. Besides, look at the divorce rates. People don't take marriage very seriously, nor do they take their words to heart as they exchange marriage vows. I want to jerk off to the idea of true love, too, but the patterns have been moving towards the other end as we head into the future. Anyways, respect reality by accepting that marriage is indeed a joke for most people.

The fact that marriage is a joke for some people has no bearing on your original question "why get married." People get married for a very specific, very distinct reason. The fact that you can live happily with a person without being married and the fact that a lot of marriages end in divorce do nothing to change the reason for marriage.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Starting a family is entirely possible without having a piece of paper that says you're together with some woman, and people don't need to go through a few ceremonies just to make kids. Besides, look at the divorce rates. People don't take marriage very seriously, nor do they take their words to heart as they exchange marriage vows. I want to jerk off to the idea of true love, too, but the patterns have been moving towards the other end as we head into the future. Anyways, respect reality by accepting that marriage is indeed a joke for most people.

That's marsupialed. So because it's a joke to some, it should be viewed as such by all
confused.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
I think this is like setting it up to fail. Almost like insurance on a relationship. If I even think I need one I really wouldn't marry her.

Why get a car if you need insurance for it? Terrible analogy but I think it is similar if you think like a Man, not a not a whipped man or a girl.

Now, I am only into pre-nups if both parties (or one) have a-lot of assets going into the relationship. In this day and age many marriages break up, why not go into it having saved both parties a ton of trouble, grief, and lawyer fees from the outset in the event the relationship turns disastrous? In situations like this, and with potentionally very high stakes both parties (or someone) needs to think with their heads not their hearts.

By the way, I don't believe being analytical about a relationship ruins the core philosophy behind marriage. I don't see the problem in using both analysis and emotion to determine whether one should legally vow to be with someone for the rest of their lives. As someone who takes marriage very seriously, I would never consider taking that step solely on emotion. That's a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Why do I get the impression that all the He-Men in this thread are 18, unemployed and don't have girlfriends?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I cosign everything Ed has posted in this thread.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
The fact that marriage is a joke for some people has no bearing on your original question "why get married." People get married for a very specific, very distinct reason. The fact that you can live happily with a person without being married and the fact that a lot of marriages end in divorce do nothing to change the reason for marriage.
What do you think the main reason for getting married is then? It seems we're not on the same wavelength.

Originally Posted by edmorel
That's marsupialed. So because it's a joke to some, it should be viewed as such by all
confused.gif

No, I'm telling everyone to take precautions. If you don't mean this then it's not directed towards you, but that don't get married with a prenup stuff is bullshit. It's a great feeling to trust people, but we must also trust the fact that they're humans first. People are known to change over time. Jokes are great, just don't let the joke be on you.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Why do I get the impression that all the He-Men in this thread are 18, unemployed and don't have girlfriends?
Because this is the Internet. Srs Business.

Originally Posted by iammatt
I cosign everything Ed has posted in this thread.

I cotangent iammatt.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am 17 and a virgin. But I am awesome on the internets!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you think the main reason for getting married is then? It seems we're not on the same wavelength.

No, I'm telling everyone to take precautions. If you don't mean this then it's not directed towards you, but that don't get married with a prenup stuff is bullshit. It's a great feeling to trust people, but we must also trust the fact that they're humans first. People are known to change over time. Jokes are great, just don't let the joke be on you.

rolleyes.gif

Dood, I've been married probably longer than you have been alive. If it all fell apart tomorrow:
1. I would have no regrets nor view the relationship or experience as a joke.
2. I would have absolutely no issues with making sure that she and our children continued living the life that we have worked for and become accustomed to.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Because people love each other and want to make a lifelong committment to each other. That's it. Just because you can get a lifelong commitment elsewhere doesn't change that.
What do you think it is?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I remeber having these debates in the Unit III dorms, 1987, when I had no assets at all. 22 years later, I still don't have enough assets to justify even thinking about a pre-nup.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I remeber having these debates in the Unit III dorms, 1987, when I had no assets at all. 22 years later, I still don't have enough assets to justify even thinking about a pre-nup.

The year I was born. Coincidence? I think not.

GekkoHQ

Reaction score
Hi all, I just thought I'd put this into the conversation. I'm getting married in September, so this topic got me thinking about pre-nups. I wouldn't want one, but even if I did, I couldn't imagine asking her to sign it. It's basically saying "I don't trust you entirely", and yet I do think that in many cases they are necessary. By the way, I'm neither 18, unemployed or single. although the way things are going I wish I was two of the three...
smile.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have noticed that it is a big college age topic of conversation. Not sure why but it seems that at the age we picture ourselves as becoming insanely rich and going through three, four wives in an 8 year span.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I have noticed that it is a big college age topic of conversation. Not sure why but it seems that at the age we picture ourselves as becoming insanely rich and going through three, four wives in an 8 year span.

Exactly, we were all certain that we were going to be billionaires by 30.

In my case, it was going to be from directing movies, but I was going to be dead by 29 in a spectacular crash on the PCH near Big Sur and then win the Oscar posthumously,

rolleyes.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads