• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best longwings?

Elgin

Reaction score
Hi - I've been looking for a pair of black longwings; I really wanted the BB Black Fleece, but didn't manage to get a pair. So now I'm looking for alternates. I don't really care quite so much about them being shell, just that they look nice and will hopefully wear well.

So far I've found:
1. Floresheim Kenmoor
2. AE MacNeil
3. Alden

Alden makes/made the BB Black Fleece, but as far as I can tell you can only get longwings from Alden in cordovan, not in calf. The Floresheim seems like an ugly version of the classic. The MacNeil seems like a happy medium, but I keep seeing conflicting reports that the quality isn't worth the money.

Are there any opinions on these? advice? alternates that I don't know of?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass and Dinkelacker both make longwings

You will not find a picture on the Vass website www.vass-cipo.hu but you will find on

http://www.budapester-schuhe.de/hand...,31,0,0,0.html

Ignore the extra wide wording, the design is available

I'm ready to pull the trigger on an MTO Vass Budapester longwing on the budapester last in dark brown suede and crepe sole.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not look for a pair of vintage Flosheim Imperials? They are found often on ebay and the black ones seem less desirable so the ending price is often lower. Yea, they'd be used, but would still last you a lifetime with basic upkeep.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my tastes vintage Nettleton are the best American Longwings I've seen followed by non LB SHeppard Hanover Shell Cordovan and vintage Johnston and Murphy crown aristocraft shell cordovan longwings (very similar to BB Black FLeece in that they have taper and lack the clunk factor). I'm pleased with my Alden shell longwings in Black. They are very well made but aren't as sharp as the Nettleton or J&M which are not only extremely well made but aesthetic. One manggs opinion.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Alden shell longwings.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for my Alden Cigar Shell Longwing from Adam.
I just won some Vintage Florsheim #8? Shell Longwing for like 70ish. I probably over paid em..but I've been sniping for a long time...my size normally don't come up and my thift stores isn't cool :[

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
I'm waiting for my Alden Cigar Shell Longwing from Adam.
[

Alden's Cigar shell longwing is one of my favorites, in fact, I'll be wearing it tomorrow.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Alden's Cigar shell longwing is one of my favorites, in fact, I'll be wearing it tomorrow.

+1
fistbump.gif

Yup, when I first saw it..I was like I MUST own em lol.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1
fistbump.gif

Yup, when I first saw it..I was like I MUST own em lol.

Adam was my source for them, too. I saw a pic and had to have them. However, my favorite is Whiskey.

BWB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay

My vote is also for Alden longwings.

Who sells Alden longwing cigar shell?

Sean Archer

Reaction score
I just ordered Kenmoors for US$159 from the outlet. Pretty cheap experiment in longwings.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BWB

Reaction score
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/
Just shoot him an email. Apparently he's getting some in 4 months.

Thank you for the link. I have an obvious noob question. What is the difference between Alden of Carmel and the Aldenshop in San Fran? Thanks for the help.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sean Archer
I just ordered Kenmoors for US$159 from the outlet. Pretty cheap experiment in longwings.

My new Kenmoors just arrived.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
(My vote, also a Cross post from the Shoe Appreciation Thread)

IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you gave me only one burgundy longwing to wear for the rest of my life, I would choose Florsheim old stock.

If you are looking for cool, rare colors, you can't compete with Alden. They are the only ones doing that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads