• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking

Haemus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
do you mean derbies(open lacing) to be gibsons?

there is a story for sure, but i am not aware of it. maybe marcell hun of koronya can chime in. he did a lot of historical research within the austro-hungarian shoemaking trade. if one has an expertise on that, than he.

yes, open lacing is what strikes me as predominant in Austro-Hungarian school of shoemaking.
sure, read about Keiser's soldiers stuffing their Budapester toe boxes with straw during winter campaigns, while it made sense for Budapester toe box peculiar form and volume, did not explain open lacing.
will be glad to hear from Marcell Hun, hoping to visit him at his shop some day. how nice that young gentleman like him is keeping the flame of fine craftsmanship alive.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
wow someone is a lucky soso - cant wait to see what available in in my size 41 just for reference

F keep me posted iDude
cheers.gif

mate,

i'll have an eye on them. as a privileged member of the "operation paprika" club you deserve platin status service
smile.gif

just wondering, when the usual shoes suspects i.e. grims, william, rjman, big bris, pledge etc. will apply for their membership. don't be shy guys. it doesn't hurt.
fistbump.gif

handmade shoes for the world!!!
cheers.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
fistbump.gif
awesome cant wait - just hope i am lucky!
mate,

i'll have an eye on them. as a privileged member of the "operation paprika" club you deserve platin status service
smile.gif

just wondering, when the usual shoes suspects i.e. grims, william, rjman, big bris, pledge etc. will apply for their membership. don't be shy guys. it doesn't hurt.
fistbump.gif

cheers.gif

MLIW

Reaction score
Its interesting that people dont learn how to do stuff like shoemaking et al.
all these arts seem to be slowly dying out.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and these babies are on their long way to sydney soon.

gk11.jpg

congrats to the new owners and thanks for your confidence in a handmade and unique product.

in the spirit of "operation paprika", i received this:

This is going to be by far the most exciting shoo purchase i've ever made. Why?

1). The STOREY behind the shoos. Nothing beats that.
2). Extremely rare shoos that hardly anyone in the world would have. + it's good getting stuff from non-English speaking countries because it means most people don't have access to them: they are almost impossible to get and that makes them extra special
3). The handwork done with a real passion.
4). He is a real old timer and about to retire.
5). He has no phone or internet and is hard to find.

l love craftsmen who shun the internet and are hard to find. l'm so proud to bring some of Mr Kiss' legacy to Australia; these will be the shoos that l feel most proud of. The storey, the storey, the storey behind the shoos!

this is what the fuss is all about, at least for me
rimshot.gif
bigstar[1].gif
rimshot.gif

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MLIW
Its interesting that people dont learn how to do stuff like shoemaking et al.
all these arts seem to be slowly dying out.

Well, I am still young and a shoemaker. I keep courses to preserve the craft all around the world (focusing on the USA, as I am here now).

I just finished a course with 9 people and started a new one with some new guys. You can read more here:

http://handmadeshoes.wordpress.com/2...-first-course/

So I do something for not let it die out..
smile.gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These are great:
gk2.jpg

As are these (but would be nicer in a slightly lighter color):
gk6.jpg

And these are another great example:
gk5.jpg

It is nice to see how traditional lasts and a traditional styles can work so well together. They are good examples of harmonious design.

And I like these, too:
gk10.jpg

In fact, I am wearing Alden's modified last version right now, though mine has six eyelets, a single (or at least less rustic) sole and modestly different detailing where the front point of the quarter is attached to the vamp. But an almost identical color.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in the spirit of "operation paprika", i received this:

This is going to be by far the most exciting shoo purchase i've ever made. Why?

1). The STOREY behind the shoos. Nothing beats that.
2). Extremely rare shoos that hardly anyone in the world would have. + it's good getting stuff from non-English speaking countries because it means most people don't have access to them: they are almost impossible to get and that makes them extra special
3). The handwork done with a real passion.
4). He is a real old timer and about to retire.
5). He has no phone or internet and is hard to find.

l love craftsmen who shun the internet and are hard to find. l'm so proud to bring some of Mr Kiss' legacy to Australia; these will be the shoos that l feel most proud of. The storey, the storey, the storey behind the shoos!

this is what the fuss is all about, at least for me
rimshot.gif
bigstar[1].gif
rimshot.gif

mmmmmmmm...... seems as if ronny's taste, like his mental state has not changed.

aren't you a bit worried what will happen to those fritz? knowing his propensity for enemas and pee swilling..

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
aren't you a bit worried what will happen to those fritz? knowing his propensity for enemas and pee swilling..

yes, it is ron. but i haven't been around at that time, so who cares... really

but to be honest, i'm more scared about most of your posts, anyway.

so i would appreciate, if you want to partake here, then on topic and nothing else...

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, it is ron. but i haven't been around at that time, so who cares... really

but to be honest, i'm more scared about most of your posts, anyway.

so i would appreciate, if you want to partake here, then on topic and nothing else...

=D

fritz srsly.. i thought after all the work and lovely descriptions you did, that you would have a bit of interest in where your babies end up...

.. oh and it is on topic.. you brought the yellow stain in

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fritz srsly.. i thought after all the work and lovely descriptions you did, that you would have a bit of interest in where your babies end up... .. oh and it is on topic.. you brought the yellow stain in
have you done anything else than spilling poison around??? if you think this makes the world a better place, than it is up to you. i can thankfully abstain from people like you and your underwriting banks, period.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
=(

˙sƃuılǝǝɟ ɹnoʎ ǝƃɐnssɐ puɐ ʞɔɐq ǝɯoɔ uɐɔ oɥɔǝloʞ ǝqʎɐɯ

snoıɔǝɹd ɐ ǝʞıl pǝssǝɹɐɔ ǝq oʇ ʇı ʇɔǝdxǝ
ɟs oʇuı ʞɔɐq ǝʞoɾ plo uɐ ƃuıɹq noʎ ɟı ʇnq
˙˙˙˙ʎɐʍ ʇɐɥʇ lǝǝɟ noʎ ǝpɐɯ ʇsod ʎɯ ʇɐɥʇ ʎɹɹos ɯ;ı

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
=(

˙sƃuılǝǝɟ ɹnoʎ ǝƃɐnssɐ puɐ ʞɔɐq ǝɯoɔ uɐɔ oɥɔǝloʞ ǝqʎɐɯ

snoıɔǝɹd ɐ ǝʞıl pǝssǝɹɐɔ ǝq oʇ ʇı ʇɔǝdxǝ
ɟs oʇuı ʞɔɐq ǝʞoɾ plo uɐ ƃuıɹq noʎ ɟı ʇnq
˙˙˙˙ʎɐʍ ʇɐɥʇ lǝǝɟ noʎ ǝpɐɯ ʇsod ʎɯ ʇɐɥʇ ʎɹɹos ɯ;ı

am glad you feel better now...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mate,

smile.gif

fistbump.gif

cheers.gif

I've been traveling, and in fact still am, and haven't been on SF much. But your efforts here are very much appreciated, fritzl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads