• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pink shirt, brown pants...what color tie?

identity-x

Reaction score
*edit*

I've settled on a blue shirt, chocolate pants and a khaki or (to the chagrin of some in this thread) tan jacket. both are being brought in as we speak, so we'll have to see.

thanks all

*end edit*

Hello all. New member here. An introduction: I am fairly poor, terribly style-ignorant and (most challenging) am color-blind. I've never owned a suit and only recently have begun purchasing a few blazers and suit jackets at some local consignment shops. Plus I live in small city in the Midwest USA. There...that about covers it.
smile.gif

Anyhow, I'm attending a wedding in a few weeks and as usual am at a loss about what to wear.

I was thinking about wearing a tan jacket, a pair of dark chocolate pants and a VERY light/faint/pastel pink (being color-blind it look almost off-white to me).

jacket is about this color...
tan-suit.jpg

pants are, uh...dark chocolate.

shirt is this color (i think)...
L10878629.jpg

what to do? Any tie color or color combination that would work with this? Should I nix the pink?

sl33p3rs

Reaction score
If you could change the pants to match your blazer that would work better.

I suggest get a gray colored tie to match your pastel pink shirt.
db60b95decdeed944b4cd8685417cfdc.jpg
smile.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown pants and a tan jacket is not going to match you want to stay away from the same hues. also brwon and pink do not go so well together. Try finding pants to match the jacket or close to it. the shirt should match the tan. as far as a tie goes you gould do a darker pink with some blue, green or some other lighter color pattern in it.

identity-x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Brown pants and a tan jacket is not going to match you want to stay away from the same hues. also brwon and pink do not go so well together. Try finding pants to match the jacket or close to it. the shirt should match the tan. as far as a tie goes you gould do a darker pink with some blue, green or some other lighter color pattern in it.

what if I go with a lighter khaki jacket? could I then wear it with the chocolate pants? pink shirt is still out? if so THEN what color tie?

i have a light blue shirt I could fall back on...i just really wanted to make the pink work.
smile.gif

ps...my wife informs me that the shirt I posted does not look pink at all. i posted it based on a google search for "light pink shirt". THIS is the **** I have to deal with bein color-blind!

thanks all...

Sylvr

Reaction score
i like browns with light pastel greens, pinks, and yellows. keep the tie darker than the shirt.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What colour is your skin? Brown is a difficult colour to make work for many people. If you are colour-blind and want to be safe, I suggest purchasing a navy suit with the assistance of someone who can assure you it is in fact navy, along with a few white shirts, and a couple basic ties in blue or red. This way you won't need to struggle with this.

I have to say that while brown and pink may work, the idea of chocolate pants, a tan jacket and a pink shirt makes me want to vomit. You could, however, wear a darker pink tie with the ensemble.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
What colour is your skin? Brown is a difficult colour to make work for many people.

Sorry to hijack thread but what skin colors does brown work well with?

identity-x

Reaction score
Thanks to all. I think I've decided against the pink shirt and in favor of a lighter blue shirt. I appreciate your comments.

Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
Sorry to hijack thread but what skin colors does brown work well with?

I'd like to know as well.

My skin is a light brown. Not too light and not too dark. I tan well, be rarely have the luxury of having a tan. One of my grandparents was full-blooded Mexican.

I'm not sure how much pink (if any) is in my skin since I don't see pink.
smile.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Color blind, eh? Are you sure it's a pink shirt?
lol8[1].gif

I agree:
Originally Posted by Sylvr
i like browns with light pastel greens, pinks, and yellows. keep the tie darker than the shirt.

Even a darker brown, or maybe charcoal/black. I've done grey pants, pink shirt, brown shoes and belt, so in theory you could do pink shirt, brown pants and jacket, and something in the grey family, maybe like
MITie-IT-60I-11.JPG

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by identity-x
Thanks to all. I think I've decided against the pink shirt and in favor of a lighter blue shirt. I appreciate your comments. I'd like to know as well. My skin is a light brown. Not too light and not too dark. I tan well, be rarely have the luxury of having a tan. One of my grandparents was full-blooded Mexican. I'm not sure how much pink (if any) is in my skin since I don't see pink.
smile.gif

I suspect warmer colours and earth tones will work best for you across the board. Blues might be alright but I would not default to them. I would recommend a tan suit if you want summer colours. You will look like a clown in a tan jacket and brown pants.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ditch the pink shirt and use a light blue one which I am sure you have.

The tan/Brown and Blue work very well together.

Use a light Blue pocket square (if you wear squares).

Viola! (i used a jacket that I had which was closest to the tan I could do. Ignore the orange and yellow check it works fine without it.) Also I can suggest 30 ties off hand that would work with this combo. Its versatile.

AWG1a.jpg
AWG1b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads