• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Tell us about YSL, *****!

hahahah. No one here cares about YSL. But I will.

YSL:
Pros: Too fabulous for you.
Cons: Too fabulous for you.

But seriously, YSL mens and womens bags are exceptionally well made. Only problems of note are Fall 2008's bubble lambskin leather, which would come undone near the seams. As far as styles go, there are a number of them that would be suitable for both men women, from incredibly 'daring' to chic and sedate. There's an undeniable elegance that transcends trend.

stoneb

Reaction score
Do any of you bagwhores have experience with the Filson Rucksack? I'm looking for a stylish backpack (rugged is a bonus) and I think I want it. I apologize for it not really counting as a manbag
281spba.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stoneb
Do any of you bagwhores have experience with the Filson Rucksack? I'm looking for a stylish backpack (rugged is a bonus) and I think I want it. I apologize for it not really counting as a manbag
I had one for awhile that I used for carrying stuff around rivers while fishing. Great pack, but I don't think I'd want to use for it everyday use.

stoneb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I had one for awhile that I used for carrying stuff around rivers while fishing. Great pack, but I don't think I'd want to use for it everyday use.
Are the straps as uncomfortable as they look, then? Or was it something else?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stoneb
Are the straps as uncomfortable as they look, then? Or was it something else?
They probably would be if you had lots of stuff in it. I didn't find them to be any trouble though, but I was only carrying < 5-7 lbs of gear and food.

stoneb

Reaction score
They probably would be if you had lots of stuff in it. I didn't find them to be any trouble though, but I was only carrying < 5-7 lbs of gear and food.

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for the advice.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Real talk? Don't **** up this thread with douchetardism or catty bitchfights, pleez. There are already enough queens around here.

Sounds like you're the one reacting all catty like I asked a simple question relax.

Anyway, IMHO, it has nothing to do with being gay, except possibly that gay men tend not to care what is expected "socially" in terms of accoutrement and so carry the items they feel are more stylish/aesthetically pleasing and that hold all that they need to carry.

Dorky briefcases or messenger bags often tend to be less than aesthetically amazing. As well, briefcases are actually quite small and dont hold much, but the larger they get, it's like carrying a suitcase around (no thanks). Messengers have straps that (especially if you walk) pull, wrinkle, and cause sweat stains on a shirt. As for backpacks... well... they're just ugly as hell.

In short, it's just about aesthetics, personal taste, and the amount of stuff you carry. Given the above, often totes and handbag styles are the way to go.
See that's the thing, it is the gay guys here and I think totes/handbags look marsupialed which is why I asked. I wanted to know why they gravitate towards that particular aesthetic in particular which you answered but it's just odd how all the ones here have the exact same mentality (thinking it's stylish and so on). I don't give a **** anymore was trying to get some answers for my buddy who asked me this after lurking the waywt thread and I couldn't find an answer for him.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's alright, you can go ahead and say it. You're referring to gosurface's ugly monster purse.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It's alright, you can go ahead and say it. You're referring to gosurface's ugly monster purse.

That's pretty obvious but John posted up some tribal lookin **** awhile back and I fail to see how either of them are stylish. I'll just leave it at different strokes.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Sounds like you're the one reacting all catty like I asked a simple question relax. See that's the thing, it is the gay guys here and I think totes/handbags look marsupialed which is why I asked. I wanted to know why they gravitate towards that particular aesthetic in particular which you answered but it's just odd how all the ones here have the exact same mentality (thinking it's stylish and so on). I don't give a **** anymore was trying to get some answers for my buddy who asked me this after lurking the waywt thread and I couldn't find an answer for him.
Originally Posted by jet
That's pretty obvious but John posted up some tribal lookin **** awhile back and I fail to see how either of them are stylish. I'll just leave it at different strokes.
All fine and dandy... but it's all just your opinion and your personal preference, unless while I was asleep the Gods of Fashion came down upon a Flaming Pie and anointed you, Herr von Jetskool, Grand High Arbiter of Fashions on teh Interwebz.
wink.gif
Anyway, obviously we all just like different stuff. Your "marsupialed" is another's "must have" bag. The answer to your question, whether you agree with it or find it "stylish" or not... is sound: personal stylistics, lack of concern for public/social opinion, and need to carry stuff. It would be excellent if you could add some info on bags you've owned or liked w/ reviews of the pros and cons. I know you've got some obscure gems hidden somewhere you want to tell us about.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Btw... today I'm breaking with tradition and carrying a messenger bag (haha), just for jet. He's got me questioning my totebagualism.
wink.gif

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gays compliment my filson and engineered garments totes a lot, or maybe they're just hitting on me. I don't really know.

The gays know everything. If they are complementing you on your totes, it means they are awesome.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It would be excellent if you could add some info on bags you've owned or liked w/ reviews of the pros and cons. I know you've got some obscure gems hidden somewhere you want to tell us about.

I wish man, only bags I've owned was a jas messenger which I'm putting up in the b&s and my olive Ys nylon duffle. Not a fan of the arte povera bags either, but love weekenders and duffels for short trips and what not. Almost copped grey margiela bag two years ago but 1300 was too rich for me. Thinking about copping the white canvas/tan leather ciggy bag but waiting for a good deal. Not many bags interest me because like you said not many are steezy enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads