• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Hockey

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I don't know much about hockey, but how ridiculous is Ovechkin's current scoring streak these playoffs? Is it considered epic yet?

no.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
no.

Well if he keeps this up he will be close to the single-postseason record for goals scored, assuming the Capitals can somehow advance.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
The impressive thing about it is that the capitals have 14 goals in the series and 7 are Ovechkin's. Without him they'd lose every game.

That's why he should win the MVP this season.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
That's why he should win the MVP this season.
It depends on your perspective. I believe he is the most valuable player to his team bar none, and I think that's what should win you the award, so yeah I think he should. Others think it should go to the best player all-around in the league, and despite all the hype around the pens and caps, the best player in the NHL this year was Pavel Datsyuk, simply because he plays better defence than Malkin and Ovechkin combined and still scored 99 points.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on your perspective. I believe he is the most valuable player to his team bar none, and I think that's what should win you the award, so yeah I think he should. Others think it should go to the best player all-around in the league, and despite all the hype around the pens and caps, the best player in the NHL this year was Pavel Datsyuk, simply because he plays better defence than Malkin and Ovechkin combined and still scored 99 points.

I would agree with that perspective, but any of the three would be good choices.

Casual

Reaction score
despite all the hype around the pens and caps, the best player in the NHL this year was Pavel Datsyuk, simply because he plays better defence than Malkin and Ovechkin combined and still scored 99 points.

True, good point.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The impressive thing about it is that the capitals have 14 goals in the series and 7 are Ovechkin's. Without him they'd lose every game.
Thats not how it works. Hockey does not act in a vacuum. He is not playing well enough to be carrying his team. In the series against the blue shirts he was average at best (for someone of his skill level), and while he has played very well against the pens if the caps are to advance they will ned Varly to be the team MVP, as AO cannot do it all alone.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Thats not how it works. Hockey does not act in a vacuum.
I'm not sure what this actually means, but if you look at this series, they would most likely have lost both games they won without his presence, regardless of who filled his spot. Moreover your goalie doesn't HAVE to be your MVP to win in the playoffs... see Chris Osgood... but it does help.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never said that your MVP has to be the goaltender, but with the caps, that is the case. They are not even close in terms of depth compared to the wings.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not believe Datsyuk should be. Here is why. He only averaged around 17-18min per game. His team's PP is sick and is a powerhouse. He has help in the form of Zetterberg and Lidstrom . Mallkin has the help of Crosby. Ovechkin had about 22-23 min of ice time per game and shot ~100 more shots than the next player (Eric Staal). Semin was hurt for some of the year and so was Green.... Just saying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads