• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Pants: I actually mistook someone for a waiter today

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a charity dinner today as a volunteer. I needed cutlery and I asked the first guy I saw wearing the waiter's uniform (white dress shirt, black pants)... after about 2 seconds I realized he wasn't a waiter... he was a guest.
shog[1].gif

atroopan

Reaction score
I see the "black pants/black suit" hate hasn't died down just yet - guess it just doesn't suit some skin tones.
peepwall[1].gif

troop

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was in a higher end store today and saw a reasonably well dressed, but very stylish woman. We looked at each other and simultaneously asked "do you work here?"

It was good stuff.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atroopan
I see the "black pants/black suit" hate hasn't died down just yet
Such silliness.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atroopan
I see the "black pants/black suit" hate hasn't died down just yet - guess it just doesn't suit some skin tones.
peepwall[1].gif

troop

You cannot be a big timer, if you dress like a small timer.
nod[1].gif

mmhollis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I went to a charity dinner today as a volunteer. I needed cutlery and I asked the first guy I saw wearing the waiter's uniform (white dress shirt, black pants)... after about 2 seconds I realized he wasn't a waiter... he was a guest.
shog[1].gif

Well did he carry himself like a waiter? I often wear a white shirt and black plants but don't get mistaken for a waiter...and I'm black!

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shog[1].gif

This happened to one of my friends at a charity ball. Being the bigger man, he acknowledged the request, went to look for a "real" waiter to get the 2 extra glasses of wine requested, handed it over to the guy, bid him good evening and then went about his routine. Saved a whole lot of embarassment for both parties.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some people do think something that I'm a sale assistant in dessigner shopswhen I'm wearing my navy blue suit without a tie...
Not a question of colour but maybe people's perception after all ..
Nothing to be offended by because after all these profesions are wearing elegant combos to work..

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shog[1].gif

Careless - how carefully did you look or was this an innate prejudice against this attire? Frankly it is NOT an easy mistake to make.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is an easy mistake to make...If the person is wearing black trousers and a dress white shirt , there is nothing wrong mistaking him for a maitre d'Hotel or a waiter...
He will be only offended if he shares your vision of this state of affairs...
If you're comfortable with yourself and confident ,you're not going to give a scoubidoo about looking like a waiter..

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm often mistaken for a WalMart greeter...

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole key to this is context. I'm a designer, and therefore almost expected to wear a black suit when meeting with clients. But I sure as heck wouldn't wear black suit / white dress shirt at an event; you are just asking to be confused with waitstaff.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Looks like I overdress as a waiter.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some people are expected to wear black suits as Unrefinery rightly said..
If you're a designer , working in advertising , architecture or a creative field, wearing black is not seen as a fashion faux-pas but more as a statement...
Even world presidents and prime ministers are wearing black nowadays, some people must get a grip woth it...
I prefer myself to wear colours as close to black as possible and i never wear wear black except at funerals...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads