• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excellent article on quarter-life crisis

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Well, at the firm I am working at now...if you come in from B-School and do well for two-three years, you are making 200k easy. Yes, post-crisis.

That's not really the point. Such jobs are hardly a realistic "fallback" for anyone. They are rare and hard to get and keep.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
That's not really the point. Such jobs are hardly a realistic "fallback" for anyone. They are rare and hard to get and keep.

My safety school is Harvard.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

It's a fallback for me. And basically anyone who goes to a Top 5 B-School.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

rolleyes.gif

Who are you, Vox's long lost love child?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score

patrick bateman wasn't supposed to set an example for you dawg.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
sorry, a job that pays under $190k a year? that's ashtray money, homeboy, spare change I keep around to score speedballs and pay for take out at le circ (I know the head chef.. yea, that's me. dawg).

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this thread into another one about my douchebaggery. I'd rather keep it on topic, which is the linked article. The idea is, at its core, that it can be hard to commit to something when you are bombarded with the message that you can do anything. And as naive as it sounds, for many 20-somethings that got a good education, are intelligent, and live in a metropolitan area, this is somewhat true. It's been an unoriginal theory of mine for some time now that too much choice is what breeds the general discontent in our consumeristic, internet-happy society.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
sorry, a job that pays under $190k a year? that's ashtray money, homeboy, spare change I keep around to score speedballs and pay for take out at le circ (I know the head chef.. yea, that's me. dawg).

Don't dumb this discussion down, son. $190K is damn good money. However, I was saying that I'd rather make <$100K and do something I love rather than make $190 (again, damn good money) for something that I'd rather not be doing.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this thread into another one about my douchebaggery. I'd rather keep it on topic, which is the linked article. The idea is, at its core, that it can be hard to commit to something when you are bombarded with the message that you can do anything. And as naive as it sounds, for many 20-somethings that got a good education, are intelligent, and live in a metropolitan area, this is somewhat true. It's been an unoriginal theory of mine for some time now that too much choice is what breeds the general discontent in our consumeristic, internet-happy society.

I think I'd prefer to skip the main (reasonable and salient) point and get back to where you get dog-piled for douchebaggery.
laugh.gif

Actually, I agree with the premise that too many choices makes you want - or think you can reasonably have - more than you can deal with.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I think I'd prefer to skip the main (reasonable and salient) point and get back to where you get dog-piled for douchebaggery.
laugh.gif

Actually, I agree with the premise that too many choices makes you want - or think you can reasonably have - more than you can deal with.

Mommy goose, even if all the other kids make fun of me at school, you'll always be here to love me, right? Right?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Mommy goose, even if all the other kids make fun of me at school, you'll always be here to love me, right? Right?

Only til I kill him for his body parts.
MMMMMMMM Artisanal Thomas foie gras.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is, even if you &quot;follow your heart&quot; and do something you're passionate about, it becomes a job, just like any other job. Maybe you like it slightly better than a &quot;regular&quot; job, but a job is a job. At some point, that initial passion you had may dissipate as well. Talking from experience.

Deluks917

Reaction score
60k doing something you like is hard to come by you realize.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I think there's a strong possibility that following your heart and doing your "passion" for a living would do nothing but merely ruin that passion/hobby for you. It takes it from something that you do b/c you enjoy it to something you do b/c you have to do it to survive.
Just a thought.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
I almost don't want to say, but in the hopes that it will help someone else I'll humor you.

My passion is music, and I was never really a musician. Therefore I realized early on that dreams of being a rockstar were probably just that, dreams, but there were other ways that I could still work in the business & work WITH musicians.

My first career was in graphic design and I thought that I could maybe design album artwork, or do websites for bands. I kind of "tasted" that on a small scale, but then I got the opportunity to go work for a band on tour. I saw an opportunity to get into music from a totally different angle, and so I quit my secure, full-time salaried design job and went to go work for a band for almost no money. That job quickly turned into a bigger job with a bigger band, and I started making some decent money. That happened a few times and in two years I was tour managing bands and making a lot of money.

Fast forward to now, less than three years after I have started on this quest, and I have achieved my initial goal: I just accepted a position working at a management company as the day-to-day manager for a large, successful, multi-platinum (lol) rock band. I did it in under 3 years and I'm under 30. I'm also a college-dropout from the suburbs of Detroit, a loooooong way from LA where I live now.

I try not to gloat or anything because this could easily mean nothing to someone else, but I am personally satisfied and fulfilled. There have always been people that told me that I was dreaming, I shouldn't have dropped out, I would never get there on the path that I was on, etc. At the very least I can say I knew what I was doing, and anyone else who thinks they're stuck, that they can't get somewhere in just a few years doesn't know what they're talking about. It's possible, sometimes it just takes creative thinking.

If you think something isn't possible, you wont try to do it. So its much better to think that anything is possible, even if it isn't.

Very cool story - I'm proud of you. It's great that you followed your dreams and took a chance to make it happen. All that I will say in others' defense (for not doing the same) is - it's a lot harder to throw away the path you're currently on if you are making a boatload of money in it. The fear of never being able to get it back is a lot higher.

Regardless, what you did took balls and I'd say that makes you a more mature person than 98% of the population.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads