• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JoS. A. Bank - Quality/Contruction/Pricing Answers

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Really? That sounds nifty

I'm wondering if your "nifty" is dripping wit sarcasm or an actual compliment. haha

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcmillin
I'm wondering if your "nifty" is dripping wit sarcasm or an actual compliment. haha

No I mean...tell me more

seems like it would be awfuly convenient to be able to drop a suit off for steaming/pressing at any time. Do other retailers do this (BB?)

pandemic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandemic
I have a two in. drop (42" chest) will I fit into one of your suits?

Ok I admit i was just trolling, but seriously whats up with you guys and not selling any slim fitting (athletic cut) suits

mcmillin

Reaction score
Speaking of letting customers know about something better coming up - right now were are BOGO on Suits, Sportcoats, and Blazers and taking an additional $100 off any purchase of $499 or more. Starting next Wednesday, though, we are changing it up a bit. When you buy a suit at regular price you will get another suit of equal or lesser price for free AND a sportcoat or blazer (equal or lesser price) for free. We are extending the $100 off $499 promotion, too.

Example:
1st Signature Suit (Ticket $795) $795
2nd Signature Suit (Ticket $795) $0
Signature Sportcoat/Blazer (Ticket $595) $0
Ticket Total $2185
Purchase Total $795
$100 off $499 - New Total $695

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
No I mean...tell me more

seems like it would be awfuly convenient to be able to drop a suit off for steaming/pressing at any time. Do other retailers do this (BB?)

I don't know of any other retailers that do this. It's a free service that we offer to all of our Corporate Card holders.

mcmillin

Reaction score
I have a two in. drop (42" chest) will I fit into one of your suits?

Our 42 suits will have a 6" drop, but we have 3 lines of Suit Separates (Business Express, Traveler, and Signature) that would work...you can pair your jacket with any size pant to get the fit you need.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of letting customers know about something better coming up - right now were are BOGO on Suits, Sportcoats, and Blazers and taking an additional $100 off any purchase of $499 or more. Starting next Wednesday, though, we are changing it up a bit. When you buy a suit at regular price you will get another suit of equal or lesser price for free AND a sportcoat or blazer (equal or lesser price) for free. We are extending the $100 off $499 promotion, too.

Example:
Ticket Total $2185
Purchase Total $795

Is this "in stock" only? If I wanted a Exec Platinum (which stores never seem to carry) could I order all these from that line?

mcmillin

Reaction score
Ok I admit i was just trolling, but seriously whats up with you guys and not selling any slim fitting (athletic cut) suits

We tend to stay very traditional in our cuts. And, really, we don't have much of a demand for them, honestly. My store is very near a Big Ten university and we do have some athletic guys come in that often don't fit a traditional nested suit. I usually show them the Joseph line (slimmer cut, higher arms, higher button stance, side vents) or get them in suit separates with some good jacket tailoring.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score

Example:
Ticket Total $2185
Purchase Total $795

This is a pretty good deal. I remember a few months ago, you had the buy 1 suit and get 2 free. When I stopped by a store on the weekend, the store was packed with customers and very few SA available. I simply checked to see if they had any suits in my size, which typically they don't and they didn't. But it seems like you were definitely moving some inventory.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Is this "in stock" only? If I wanted a Exec Platinum (which stores never seem to carry) could I order all these from that line?

The Signature Platinum line is available only in very select stores. (I was with the company for 6 months before I ever even saw one.) Your local store manager should be able to source some, though, and the same deal would apply. Anything that is ordered during a sale/promotion is honored at the same price as if they were available in-store.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
This is a pretty good deal. I remember a few months ago, you had the buy 1 suit and get 2 free. When I stopped by a store on the weekend, the store was packed with customers and very few SA available. I simply checked to see if they had any suits in my size, which typically they don't and they didn't. But it seems like you were definitely moving some inventory.

We do have a smaller inventory in "fringe" sizes (shorts, extra-longs, above a 48). Any fabric and style that you see in the store, though, can be ordered for you and should arrive in the store within 2 business days if it is available from distribution. May I ask what size you are?

southbound35

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments! As a customer, I can understand the frustration of the 2-for or 3-for pricing. He was right in saying that he couldn't manipulate the price of your 4th pair...when we have deal pricing (2/3 for) in the system, it only groups items by that multiple, but i do understand your point. (I know when I am at the grocery store if an item is 2/$5, one item is $2.50...unfortunately our pricing system just doesn't work the same.) That being said, I would certainly hope that if you voiced your concerns to the store manager, they would do anything they could to alleviate your frustration.

About your pricing comment: I guess I can see that...my clients tend to shop when they shop without paying a lot of attention to prices. They know they are going to get a good price and I will always let them know (if I do) about something better coming up.

*nit-picky point* The "buy a suit, get a shirt and tie" promotion is actually from S&K, I think. haha

Thanks for your reply.

As I looked around yesterday, I saw for the first time and was impressed by the Trio idea (Jacket with matching pants to be worn as a suit, second pair of coordinating pants for a sportcoat/dress pant look). With most on this board being into higher-end clothing, I doubt many here would go that route. But, I think for the guy who wears a suit to weddings and funerals only and might have one occasion every other year for a sportcoat, this would be a great option.

oaw01

Reaction score
How much do you charge for alterations? I might bite if I can make the suit slim fitting like an RLBL.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Example:
Ticket Total $2185
Purchase Total $795

A few months ago, I bought my stepson a Signature suit for $238 (+tax and alterations charges). He seems very happy with it, and at that price I think we got more than fair value. Since JAB is constantly having heavy duty discounts, sales and deals of the sort described above, I can't help thinking that a fellow who just naively walks in and pays full retail (say $795 for a Signature suit) is something of a chump. I know that if I had just paid about $800 for a Signature suit and then a week later saw a deal like that offered, I would feel both mortified and angry. How do you deal with customers like that? Mind you, I'm not knocking JAB. I think shrewdly used, JAB can be a good resource and provide excellent value. I have found the sales staff at my local JAB to be extremely friendly and helpful.

On another note, could you tell us a little more about the Signature Platinum? Does it differ from the Signature Gold only in utilizing fabrics with a higher super number or are there any differences in construction, as well.

mcmillin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
Thanks for your reply.

As I looked around yesterday, I saw for the first time and was impressed by the Trio idea (Jacket with matching pants to be worn as a suit, second pair of coordinating pants for a sportcoat/dress pant look). With most on this board being into higher-end clothing, I doubt many here would go that route. But, I think for the guy who wears a suit to weddings and funerals only and might have one occasion every other year for a sportcoat, this would be a great option.

In theory, it's great. We sell it a lot for interviews when college students come in and for the guy that says, "My wife told me to buy a suit. This one has two pants. Perfect."

It is the lowest quality suit that we sell, though, so I don't recommend it very often outside of those cases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads