• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance Top 10

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I'm looking for a cologne that has a strong tobacco, spicy scent to it. Any help? Thomas, Rach, Dopey, Baron, all the fragrance regulars. Much appreciated.

From what I wear, here is closest to what you want:
Le Labo Vetiver 46 is kind of a smoky incense;
L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu is a sweet spicy;
Chanel Cuir de Russie is a leathery smoke
Fracas dirty tobacco
Sel de Vetiver sour spice, with sweetness

I like all of them. They are each very different from one another. None of them are "easy going" generic or simple fragrances.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Those are all good choices. Kwilk, you might also try Tom Ford for Men, or the "Extreme" version if you've got the cash lying around.

Other "spicey" classics:
Gucci Pour Homme (the original Tom Ford one)
Gucci Pour Homme II (not as spicey, but with some tobacco in it... it's pretty nice and you can find it anywhere)
Comme des Garcons II Man
Escada Pour Homme (this one is found cheaply at places like TJ Maxx or marshalls)
Giorgio Red for Men
Helmut Lang Cuiron (good luck finding it; it's discontinued now but WOW... it's lovely)
Creed Baie de Genievre
Givenchy Gentlemen (no tobacco, but lots of kick and patchouli)

northamptonshoes

Reaction score
My two most used fragrances:
-Terre D'Hermes and Creed Green Irish Tweed.
Although ladies always seem to like Davidoff Cool Water also.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kwilk,

The tobacco notes you'll find in fragrances typically don't smell much like tobacco as you'd find in a cigar. As it goes, I don't really like it when I see it as a note, and suspect you would likewise be disappointed. See if you can get your hands on a sample of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme, since that's got some tobacco in there and is well-liked. Tabarome and Idole might be decent choices as well, though I have sniffed neither. Some choices that wouldn't be a big reach include Chanel Antaeus and Nicole Miller for Men. PM me about the last two.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Kwilk, The tobacco notes you'll find in fragrances typically don't smell much like tobacco as you'd find in a cigar. As it goes, I don't really like it when I see it as a note, and suspect you would likewise be disappointed.
+1. Grandpa's pipe rarely comes out with tobacco as a note. That usually is blended with vanilla and a number of other things to give it the sweetness. Tabarome and Idole are both nice, but given the price and how difficult they are to find, I wouldn't recommend it for Kwilkie. You don't need to spend more than $50, kwilk... take Lish out to dinner or buy her a present instead. My rec would be Tom Ford for Men, Escada Pour Homme, or especially the first GUCCI POUR HOMME. It's not spicy at all, but Gaultier le Male is one of the most famous tobacco/vanilla scents out there. I find it cloying, not to mention having too many associations with every 40+ gay man in Chicago in the late 90's, early 00's, but lots of people really love it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
+1. Grandpa's pipe rarely comes out with tobacco as a note. That usually is blended with vanilla and a number of other things to give it the sweetness.

Tabarome and Idole are both nice, but given the price and how difficult they are to find, I wouldn't recommend it for Kwilkie. You don't need to spend more than $50, kwilk... take Lish out to dinner or buy her a present instead.

Agree with the pipe tobacco - but even then there's an earthiness in tobacco that never comes through in commercial scents; the synthetic substitute feels as though I were playing Beethoven's Moonlight sonata on a kazoo.

And, yeah, no need to break the bank...yet.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I really don't need to get into another expensive hobby w/ my addictive personality, so I appreciate the warnings. I had planned on just having that list on me and going around to some shops to smell the samplers. If I liked it on me, then I might consider buying it. PM comin your way T-bone.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
...Hadn't considered this, but Habit Rouge just popped into my head, and Yatagan followed shortly after.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guerlain Vetiver has a smoky spicy tobacco component. I have the vintage formulation though and I suspect it's much more prominent there. Others to consider are Hermes Bel Ami, which is sweet and smoky spicy, or Michael Kors, which has a tobacco note but does have loads of patchouli too.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Guerlain Vetiver has a smoky spicy tobacco component. I have the vintage formulation though and I suspect it's much more prominent there. Others to consider are Hermes Bel Ami, which is sweet and smoky spicy, or Michael Kors, which has a tobacco note but does have loads of patchouli too.

Oh, I forgot about Michael Kors. Good suggestion!

Also, kwilkie, after you've sniffed/sampled, order online at discounters and save money. I particularly like www.scentiments.com, but there are other good ones out there as well. Don't pay retail!!!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Good thinkin! Thanks Rach.

Sweet, I ask for some advice and get all 4 bigtime SF fragrance-gods to answer. NOICE!!!!!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good thinkin! Thanks Rach.

Sweet, I ask for some advice and get all 4 bigtime SF fragrance-gods to answer. NOICE!!!!!

Counting me as one of the "4 bigtime SF fragrance-gods" is a mistake. I know much, much less than the other three, and count myself as little more than an enthusiastic amateur.

BTW, get a copy of this book. You will really enjoy it and it will change your appreciation of fragrance. Plus it is a great read.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Counting me as one of the "4 bigtime SF fragrance-gods" is a mistake. I know much, much less than the other three, and count myself as little more than an enthusiastic amateur.

BTW, get a copy of this book. You will really enjoy it and it will change your appreciation of fragrance. Plus it is a great read.

Your book recommendations have never steered me wrong, but I certainly hope this one is an easier read.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Your book recommendations have never steered me wrong, but I certainly hope this one is an easier read.

oh, it's a lot of fun to read. No you can't have mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads