• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a little help from my friends - John Lobb Suede Lopez

jcriswel

Reaction score
My friends...

I have been presented with the following opportunity:

Neiman Marcus Last Call

John Lobb
Loafers
Style: Lopez
Leather: Suede
Color: Dark Brown (don't know the official color)

Here are the pics:

164992858o.jpg

164992868o.jpg

164992834o.jpg

I never see John Lobb's at this store, but they happen to have this shoe in my size (perfect fit) and the price is $468. The normal retail is $1,040. As those of you who shop at NMLC know, their shoe collection is not always the best: Kenneth Cole, Hugo Boss, Bruno Magli, etc. The John Lobb's are fabulous and I cannot believe they are sitting among the KC, HB, BM, drek.

Now, my circumstances are a bit stretched given the present economy, but I could see my way to find the funds to purchase these. Further, I have a hole in my rotation for a suede loafer. My only hesitation is whether these shoes are worth the stretch.

Could I get some feedback please?

Thanks,

jcriswel

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do you love em? i am a big fan of JL but you have to look past the brand and the % discount sometimes...if it's a model that you absolutely love, then by all means snap it up!

i don't like the Lopez too much but my opinion isn't as important as yours

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
do it
that's what you want to hear, right?

Of course... what fun is there in that? Surely there are some naysayers who will argue on the side of prudence or John Lobb is not worth it at any price. I was hoping for some meat to help me make this decision.

jcriswel

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
i don't like the Lopez too much but my opinion isn't as important as yours
Good feedback... why don't you like the Lopez? Your opinion is important to me because I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, i'm not a loafer fan in general and i think the style is too plain and the toe too rounded, if that makes any sense...

horton

Reaction score
i don't think you should buy things on a stretch. you need to wear things with a certain care free attitude. if you buy things on a strech the shoes might look great, but your worrying about them wont

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the shoes are well worth the price.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
well, i'm not a loafer fan in general and i think the style is too plain and the toe too rounded, if that makes any sense...
I like loafers and the plain style appeals to me. I understand your style sensibilities, but they are different than mine. Thanks for your frank comments though.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
i don't think you should buy things on a stretch. you need to wear things with a certain care free attitude. if you buy things on a strech the shoes might look great, but your worrying about them wont

I understand the psychology of buying on a stretch and having "buyers remorse" thereafter. I believe that once I commit to the purchase, I can put the angst of the decision behind me and enjoy the shoes. That's been my pattern so far. Thanks for your comment though. Your advice on buying on a stretch certainly makes sense for most people.

jcriswel

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are nice, go for it!!!

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arent those on the 8695 last? Or is it the 9795... Little too blobby for me

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would only suggest you buy them if you were specifically looking to buy a suede loafer in the past but never found one thast was quite right.

Otherwise they are just an expensive bargain. "Shoe gaps" will always exist.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads