• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

GeoPa58

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
... my new realistic goal is to come in under 4:15.

What is the general consensus on using a pace group during the race?

I don't have any experience with pace groups, but it could be helpful.

I try to adjust speed to maintain a more-or-less constant level of effort: slower uphill, faster downhill. I know if I try to maintain speed going uphill, especially late in a marathon, I'm toast. I don't know how pace groups work in this regard.

Have a great race!

KimboIsLegit

Reaction score
I did 3 today, slowly building back up to where I was before I hurt my IT band.

Kinda random question, but does anyone else get harassed by cool guys in trucks? Like they'd pull up behind you near the sidewalk/bike lane and then slam the gas while honking the horn, trying to startle you? It's happening almost every day I run now.

jwied82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KimboIsLegit
I did 3 today, slowly building back up to where I was before I hurt my IT band.

Kinda random question, but does anyone else get harassed by cool guys in trucks? Like they'd pull up behind you near the sidewalk/bike lane and then slam the gas while honking the horn, trying to startle you? It's happening almost every day I run now.

I hate when that happens because sometimes it makes me jump a little and throws me off stride.
I once had an SUV full of teenage (i assume) guys slow down and pull up beside me then open a door into my back as they passed. It didnt really hurt much but i was pissed. I yelled and sped up but of course they just drove off.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a valet jump out at me when I was finishing up a run and just sprinting the last half mile out. He could've made me run into a pedestrian or fall, so I flipped him off. He got some mean stares from passersby and since he was on the job he seemed a bit bashful about it.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unexpected
Don't put 100% faith in the pacer to get you across in under 4:15. He may get you in at 4:18. Pacers are affected by the marathon too- in my marathon, there was a pacer who fell sick, and had to drop out halfway through- naturally, he was slowing down as he was about to drop out, and he slowed the whole group down. People were pissed- this was for a 3:10 Boston qualifying pace group.

Ditto - the one time I attempted to follow a pacer, the entire group was shocked when the guy took off at a break-neck pace - a few of us tried to keep up and ran ourselves ragged before we lost him. We passed him 10 miles later, spent and walking, saying he'd planned to do a fast/slow split rather than a steady pace. "Must've gone out too fast." No ****, Sherlock.
mad.gif

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
26.2 in 4:14:48
Didn't reach my goal of under 4, but feel great about my first marathon!
I'll start training for the Long Beach marathon in October - when the pain goes away.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll start training for the Long Beach marathon in October - when the pain goes away.

Flying Pig?

GeoPa58

Reaction score

Congrats, q! Looks like you beat the 4:15 you called in advance. Did you use a pace group? Cheers.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Flying Pig?
Orange County Marathon

Originally Posted by GeoPa58
Congrats, q! Looks like you beat the 4:15 you called in advance. Did you use a pace group? Cheers.
Thanks Geo - I didn't use the pace group after all, but found myself running with the 4:00 group until the left me in the dust at around mile 22.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orange County Marathon

Thanks Geo - I didn't use the pace group after all, but found myself running with the 4:00 group until the left me in the dust at around mile 22.

Ah. Marathon season is here, I suppose.

theguy

Reaction score
I just started running a couple weeks ago.
I always start with about 5-7 minutes of fast paced walking on an incline, then jog for the rest of the time with some fast walking in between(when I get winded).

Started by doing 1.25 miles, and now 2 weeks later im up to 2.75 miles in 37 minutes.
Is that decent for a 24 y/o male with slight asthma?
I take a 2-3 day break in between. Is this necessary for my muscles to rest or can I go 5-7 days a week?
I'm also doing some light lifting 3 days a week.

thanks in advance all

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I did 2.5 miles today, first time running in about 20 days (when I did ~4 mi). I've been dealing with some serious back pain, but it's getting better. Running actually helps it as it loosens me up. There's a 5k I want to run in about 4 weeks, so I've got to get geared up for that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads