• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windows 7

Gherkins

Reaction score
Did anyone install this Beta already?
I am just giving it a try - without major problems, so far - but haven't found significant improvements over Vista. I have to admit that my test runs just some 20 minutes or so, and that visiting SF is one of my first actions. The new Taskbar seems a bit odd on the first sight, but maybe it will be an improvement on the long run.

In any case XP's Internet Backgammon is back and with it one of my favorite time killers.
tounge.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently this current release cuts three seconds off all of your MP3s... hope you have back-ups.

Gherkins

Reaction score
I installed it on a blank system, no worries.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have it running as a virtual machine and I think off the bat it's a nice improvement over Vista.

I actually have the alpha release (build 7000) from a couple of weeks ago. It installed with no errors and seems to do well on limited hardware (my laptop is a 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo and I've only given the VM 1.5 GB of memory)

I think they did this on purpose, the released builds with a lot of the temperamental features stripped out for now and they will try to gradually add them back into future beta builds. Be prepared for it to suck later.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RC1 available for public download tomorrow, but has been on MSDN and other developers' network since last week.

Anybody try it out yet? I'm getting my new laptop today or tomorrow, was thinking of whether to downlograde to XP or upgrade straight to Windows 7 RC1.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is Windows 7 as good as XP? Or is it a tweak on the garbage that is Vista?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It uses Vista's guts but tries to improve usability and performance. I tried installing a build a few weeks ago and the installer crashed on me. I may try RC1. Does RC1 expire when it's released to retail or sooner?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So for anyone who is both a power user of Office and has experience with Vista, will any iteration of Office be usable at all in the future? Vista removed all functionality practically. I don't really see how the newest Office (Excel, Word) are usable for business purposes with their crap ****** layout and complete change of short cuts. Do they even support macros anymore? I know the Office for Mac does not.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It uses Vista's guts but tries to improve usability and performance. I tried installing a build a few weeks ago and the installer crashed on me. I may try RC1. Does RC1 expire when it's released to retail or sooner?

I read support for RC1 is until June 2010.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It uses Vista's guts but tries to improve usability and performance. I tried installing a build a few weeks ago and the installer crashed on me.

LOL!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
So for anyone who is both a power user of Office and has experience with Vista, will any iteration of Office be usable at all in the future? Vista removed all functionality practically. I don't really see how the newest Office (Excel, Word) are usable for business purposes with their crap ****** layout and complete change of short cuts. Do they even support macros anymore? I know the Office for Mac does not.

What does Office have to do with the OS it runs on? I generally like the ribbon layout. It's not that hard to adapt to the changes, which were made 2 years ago now...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What does Office have to do with the OS it runs on? I generally like the ribbon layout. It's not that hard to adapt to the changes, which were made 2 years ago now...

Apple Word/Excel I think disables VBA and makes you use AppleScript. I doubt that Windows would have this issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads