• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Omegas

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old pic, but here's my vintage Sega. Big thanks to a couple of SF members who gave me great advices during the process
worship.gif

f3w3g8.jpg

dport86

Reaction score
I agree with what the wise posters have said about OMega here, but the upside of parts availability is being able to replace many worn out parts on a vintage Omega found in the wild or worn for several years. I have many great vintage watches bought at moderate prices sitting in my watchmaker's bins waiting for parts. And I have other watches I've had to buy donor watches for to get one part.

There is an upside to the collector/value uptick as well: a more liquid market makes resale easier. IN hard times, it used to be Rolex that was always easy to sell. Now it's Rolex and Omega and specific classic models from other lines. There are great undervalued watches out there, and posters have included many. Just be aware that if you ever want to sell some of these sleepers, it may not be as easy. If OTOH you don't care about resale because you plan to wear them forever, just be sure you can get parts.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Old pic, but here's my vintage Sega. Big thanks to a couple of SF members who gave me great advices during the process
worship.gif

f3w3g8.jpg

Sweet! What's the vintage on that one?

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One model to look for is the Seamaster Deville. I have one -- it's a stout, sturdy timepiece that can often be had for around $300-$400 on eBay.

Here is the model I have:
Picture_2452.jpg

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Sweet! What's the vintage on that one?

1950's. Cal. 332 movement.

I know because you told me how to track down the info.
lookaround.gif

ACDoyle

Reaction score
You should check out goodwatch.com, prices are very reasonable and good customer service

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
1950's. Cal. 332 movement.

I know because you told me how to track down the info.
lookaround.gif

I'm awesome!
rotflmao.gif

Here's a couple I've posted before.
1960's Connie Piepan in 18k pink gold (wearing it today, but couldn't get anything but crappy pics from my iPhone, so this is a file photo):
WAYWN134.jpg

1946 Vintage bumper automatic in 18k yellow gold (file photo):
WAYWN012.jpg

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice watches everyone. I especially like The Constallation and the first Seamaster.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
Very nice watches everyone. I especially like The Constallation and the first Seamaster.

Doesn't help you with your issue though does it. My recommendation for buying a vintage Omega is to go back to 2001 and buy one before the prices went out of sight. That's what I did and it worked out pretty well for me. Short of that I'd probably agree that bargains are likely going to be in other brands.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I'm awesome!
rotflmao.gif

Here's a couple I've posted before.
1960's Connie Piepan in 18k pink gold (wearing it today, but couldn't get anything but crappy pics from my iPhone, so this is a file photo):
WAYWN134.jpg

1946 Vintage bumper automatic in 18k yellow gold (file photo):
WAYWN012.jpg

Awesome Mark, what do these go for?

Brian

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Awesome Mark, what do these go for?

Brian

Hard to say anymore. I don't really keep up with current prices. Depending on how much risk you're willing to take, but on the Connie... I'm guessing that with all original parts (crown, dial & logo'd crystal) in good shape you were probably looking at $2k on Ebay a few months ago...might be less now with the economy and gold prices down a bit. From a dealer who's willing to validate the authenticity and condition, maybe $3k retail. I paid a lot less than that.

Here's a somewhat similar one on Ebay (with a gold dial, which mine doesn't have) for about $2500 BIN.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Omega-18K-Gold-O...ayphotohosting

For the bumper, I really have no idea. This is a pretty early model (1946); within a year or two of the first automatics Omega ever made. That said, the dial is certainly redone and nothing particularly special and the crown has been replaced. I don't think that the crystal is original either. But the movement's in good shape, the redial isn't that bad a job. Guessing...$900 or so on Ebay and $1500 or so from a dealer.

These are really WAGs though. I don't buy and sell watches much so I could be pretty far off.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Awesome, not in the market at the moment, but later down the line i'd like to pick up something like this. Pretty sweet deal for an 18k case/automatic movement.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Awesome, not in the market at the moment, but later down the line i'd like to pick up something like this. Pretty sweet deal for an 18k case/automatic movement.

Keep in mind that after I bought both of these I gave them to my watchmaker for servicing. Because of age he had the bumper for well over a year looking for parts and the service cost me around $300. The Connie didn't take as long (a few months) and was about the same price.

My guy is very good (one of the only Omega authorized service guys in the South), but slow and not cheap.

Point is, that if you buy a vintage watch you need to budget a good service into the cost unless you're buying from a reputable dealer that you know has already fully serviced it. If you go to a Torneau or someone similar, you will pay a lot more, but you should be able to rely on the fact that (a) it is authentic, and (b) it has been serviced.

I've never bought from one of those guys, but I probably would have come out ahead if I had because I've made some really bad purchases in the past.

Protip: If you get into buying vintage watches avoid "great deals" on a fixer upper. The odds of you actually coming out ahead after paying for the repairs are nearly zero. There will always be more wrong with the watch than you or the seller know about. Trust me, I know. Anyone want to buy an 18k gold ladies Audemars Piguet that just needs a winding stem? I have one I can sell you.
rolleyes.gif

dport86

Reaction score
if you're patient and willing to look, and develop relationships with the kinds of dealer/pickers who feed the retail guys, you can sometimes get great deals. Probably more so in a down market. I recently purchased a gold shell/ss first generation bumper Constellation with original dial for $200 (unrestored in an antique shop). Lots of wear on the medallion on the back but a great deal nonetheless. I bought a 14k 1964 Seamaster (no date) similar to the date one above for only $400 with box and papers from a dealer at a watch show. It needs restoration but still a great deal. One other great thing about Omegas is that they were designed to be robust and easy to service. WAtchmakers love working on them and when restored and well-regulated they can keep great time. Rolex and some older 60's/70's Seikos are perhaps the only mass production watches with a greater reputation for rugged reliability.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads