• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Identity Crisis...

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by genericman
286z9y0.jpg
ifwjt2.jpg
mja90l.jpg

You really don't look bad. Much, much better then the first pic. Grow your hair out or something if you wanna be cool. Jacket looks slightly long though but still seems to fit pretty well.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That jacket looks fine. It looks like it fits, although I am not crazy about the collar. Skinnier jeans might work better. I don't care for the boots but that is just me.

This doesn't look like a catastrophic failure. Why are you saying you can't pull it off? It sounds like you are not comfortable taking this leap right now. If that is the case, you shouldn't rush into it.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Lova and BBlessings recent lookbooks. I think it's a good compromise between classic preppy and interesting modern. Also, do yourself a favor and find a place where you can find some good skinny jeans to try on. See how it feels. I think you'll be surprised.

VolsVolsVols

Reaction score
Your desired look would be completely incongruous with the life of a Greenwich plastic surgeon, so I have no choice but to wholeheartedly recommend against any further pursuit of the Dior Homme image. If you'd like to stand out amongst your surgical cohorts in an edgy fashion, might I suggest getting a "skull and bones" window decal for your Bentley?

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VolsVolsVols
Your desired look would be completely incongruous with the life of a Greenwich plastic surgeon, so I have no choice but to wholeheartedly recommend against any further pursuit of the Dior Homme image. If you'd like to stand out amongst your surgical cohorts in an edgy fashion, might I suggest getting a "skull and bones" window decal for your Bentley?

stfu

genericman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
You really don't look bad. Much, much better then the first pic. Grow your hair out or something if you wanna be cool. Jacket looks slightly long though but still seems to fit pretty well.
Yeah, first pic is my current "Sunday Best". I usually lounge with a casual button down.
Originally Posted by DLester
That jacket looks fine. It looks like it fits, although I am not crazy about the collar. Skinnier jeans might work better. I don't care for the boots but that is just me. This doesn't look like a catastrophic failure. Why are you saying you can't pull it off? It sounds like you are not comfortable taking this leap right now. If that is the case, you shouldn't rush into it.
I think skinnier jeans look better as well. This is a the first time I took a WAYNT photo and I definitely look different than what I've seen in the mirrow. The jeans are baggier than I thought or maybe its the angle.
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Skinny black coated jeans, military inspired beat up black boots, slim but drapey loose crew neck white shirt or RO style tank/tshirt, and you can even keep the leather jacket. Good to go
Yeah, a drapey white shirt would do the trick. In my original post, I asked what people thought about combining the two looks (BoO buttonup and RO Leather). It looks off to me...a bit bipolar.
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Check out Lova and BBlessings recent lookbooks. I think it's a good compromise between classic preppy and interesting modern. Also, do yourself a favor and find a place where you can find some good skinny jeans to try on. See how it feels. I think you'll be surprised.
I'll have to check out some skinnies.
Originally Posted by VolsVolsVols
I'm 26. I have a somewhat life outside the hospital. Typically hitting up the LES for some shows. I do get weird looks in my slims and button-up. Damn hipsters

cristeza

Reaction score
Also, if raw jeans fall in a closet and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what jacket is that?

rooks rike rick or black scissors

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clothing can be an expression or one's present identity, or it can be aspirational (see users on this forum who try to dress "ivy league".) Unfortunately, clothing can never be a strictly formalist, abstract art. Clothing telegraphs cultural semiotics even when you don't want them to, even if you think they shouldn't.

Ain't it a *****? I kinda have a style identity crisis as well, there's no particular aesthetic I identify with or aspire to, so I'm gradually seeking out clothes with that ineffable x-factor that speaks directly to me. It's slow going, certainly. I don't have a whole lot of money to throw around, but honestly I'm not finding that to be too limiting a factor for what I want, generally.

If, as I suspect, you have the soft, cherubic features befitting 26 years of clean living, and have a solid, respectable profession, there's obviously going to be some cognitive dissonance between that and Lower East Side coke-binge blowing-my-parents'-money-out-my-ass fashion. People only don't give a **** when they're not required to.

Howabout, instead of try-hard-to-look-effortless steezy (since nothing is ever truly effortless), you just own your effort? Ironically, that may end up looking far less try-hard. Kinda like Chronaug said, keep it simple and clean, but with uniqe fabrics-- waxed cotton jeans, patent leather sneaks, etc. Black and white-- certainly not all-black or goth ninja. Keep the fit razor-sharp- that's your "edge"- instead of experimental drapey/tight hybrids. You can't go too far wrong with simple well-fitting, well-tended leather jacket, but you can very easily go wrong with overwrought, designery outerwear.

Clothing only looks try-hard the further it gets from being strictly practical. As a guy who has to be to work at a certain time in the morning, and whose free time is similarly budgeted, you can't afford to be futzing around in the mirror all day-- you're all about practicality (remember: this is what you want to telegraph, I'm not saying you don't or shouldn't occasionally futz around in the mirror all day.) But have those practical basics show that you care about how your clothes look, and aren't afraid to spend a little more to give them more impact.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Nothing wrong with dressing a certain way if that's what your life is like. You're going to be a doctor, not an artist. There's no need for you to be edgy, and in fact it seems a little inappropriate.

If he were good at his profession why would it be inappropriate to look edgy or anything other than conservative and dull, looking like any other boring stiff wouldn't do anything to increase confidence in my doctor. It's like suggesting he buy a champagne colored Toyota instead of black BMW so people don't misconstrue him as a belligerent playboy MD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads