• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dislike of Double-Breasted Suits

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it is just me, but I really can't stand double-breasted suits. I think they look ridiculous on 9 out of 10 people who wear them. A few older, stately gentlemen can pull them off, but otherwise, bleh. I find that they look particularly bad on younger individuals.

Am I alone in this?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not for everyone. But I like them. You need to be tall and fairly slim to pull it off.

They're very popular in Europe. I went to funeral once in Torino and nearly every man had a DB suit on.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love double-breasted suits. It's just tricky to get the proportions right, but I don't see why they're necessarily more appropriate for tall, skinny people.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like double breasted suits too. I Think they give a very manly figure.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love double breasted suits. I think it only works well if you are tall and thin. I am 6'2 with a 34 inch chest and a slim fitting double breasted jacket looks much better then single breasted one me.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could care less how they look on other people. I just don't think they look right on me. OTOH I seem to collect DB coats
eh.gif

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every great once in a while I see a younger person pulling off the DB. But, it is quite rare.

meauounji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I love double-breasted suits. It's just tricky to get the proportions right, but I don't see why they're necessarily more appropriate for tall, skinny people.

I think it's more appropriate on tall & skinny because the common conception with DB is that they generally makes you look wider. I certainly think that if you're heavy-set, you should hit the gym a few months before donning the DB.

Oh yeah, and a properly fitted DB on a slim person looks phenomenal, I think.

B2C2V

Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
Every great once in a while I see a younger person pulling off the DB. But, it is quite rare.

To a certain extent this has something to do the fact that small % of population dress in DB nowadays.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

You're probably correct about that if you get the proportions right.

Have you ever seen a very short, very wide guy in a DB? It has the effect of making them look shorter and wider.

Reasons to Pass on a Double Breasted Jacket
With an extra layer of fabric across the front and two rows of buttons, the double-breasted jacket is enough to drown a smaller man's frame. Those of narrow torso and shoulders will find it covers almost their entire chest, barely allowing the shirt and tie a glimpse of daylight. Neither is it friendly to short men, as its bulk can diminish height. The double-breasted suit is also more formal than the single-breasted, and is therefore less versatile. It is anachronistic over anything other than a conservative dress shirt and neck tie. It looks ridiculous unbuttoned, and must therefore always stay closed, and this combined with its double-ply front can make it uncomfortable in the heat. Finally, double-breasted suits have waned in popularity over the past half-century, and it is therefore quite difficult to find one that fits correctly.

http://www.atailoredsuit.com/mens-do...acket-(a).html

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meauounji
I think it's more appropriate on tall & skinny because the common conception with DB is that they generally makes you look wider. I certainly think that if you're heavy-set, you should hit the gym a few months before donning the DB.

Like I said, they can be tricky to fit right. But fundamentally, I don't see why they are necessarily widening. Even though a DB jacket creates a smaller, shorter 'V' opening for your shirt and tie, the stacked, parallel button configuration can make a torso look more column-like by emphasizing vertical length. Also, because the button configuration typically has the buttons in the top row set further apart than in the rows beneath it, a DB jacket can also make your chest-to-waist ratio appear higher and more flattering.

B2C2V

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meauounji

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads