• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
What size/style do you recommend?

I have the 02. It is just about the right size. I was able to fit in a laptop, powerpack, notebooks plus 2 or 3 textbooks in there.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handles, I detest messenger straps.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Tusting

Corsia

Tusting still makes great, classic looking bags out of England.

Any thoughts on the general quality of Corsia's bags?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
RRL ($400 - $200) RRL leather bags are made by Hollywood Trading Company in Los Angeles or are true vintage bags. The quality is incredible, and the look is very Americana. They are extremely expensive.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Tusting still makes great, classic looking bags out of England. Any thoughts on the general quality of Corsia's bags?
My experience with Corsia is pretty limited, but I've been less than impressed with the quality, finish, and hardware. The styles can be pretty neat, but the rest seems cheap (though not pricewise). I'm hoping to find some more this summer in Tokyo, so I can give a better report.
Originally Posted by Teger
RRL ($400 - $200) RRL leather bags are made by Hollywood Trading Company in Los Angeles or are true vintage bags. The quality is incredible, and the look is very Americana. They are extremely expensive.
I agree the quality might be good but I've been less than impressed with some of the styles, which have all those weird patches, RRL plastered everywhere, and can sometimes be quite ugly. Pricing, as you mentioned, is certainly superlative; a canvas messenger for $500-700, or a duffle for $1500.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Rach - I'm considering getting this bag for the summer:

jack-spade-linen-tote.jpg

What're your thoughts and can you recommend any alternatives?

I was thinking about this one for casual, holiday use but it was a bit bigger than expected and the straps are slightly too short to comfortably wear over the shoulder.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I played Taxi to some Japanese Students and took them to the mall yesterday (haha) and, at J.Crew, noticed that they had a couple of simple, no nonsense canvas totes that were quite nice and fairly priced. GAP also has a few. I don't know the pricing of the Jack Spade, but if I wanted a >$100 canvas bag, I'd probably look at them.

If you live near a Club Monaco, too, you might check there. I find they sometimes have some nice, fair priced bags/accessories.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the corsia opinion rach. Yoox has a few I was curious about, but I will probably pass on those now.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Friendly bump hoping for more opinions. Surely there are more brands out there in your closets... come on... do your part.
wink.gif

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Friendly bump hoping for more opinions. Surely there are more brands out there in your closets... come on... do your part.
wink.gif

Just want to say thank you all, especially you, Rach, for putting this together. You have pretty much covered the few bags I have. I guess I can talk about Dries Van Noten, as I am a big fan of his and have been following him for years.

Dries Van Noten (around $600/700 and up)
PROS: New designs each season. Doesn't really follow seasonal trends as far as I can see. Quality and type of leather used over the years are consistently good. Should patina nicely. Interesting use of ethnic patterns occasionally. Good solid hardware - not cheap looking. Nice and sturdy construction. No logos. The only "logo" is his name, which is always small and can be found at the bottom/back of the bags. Very discreet.
CONS: Retail price is usually very high, just like the rest of the DVN stuff. Some bags are now made in India (vs Belgium and Italy like they used to) but from what I have seen, the quality is still good, with leather "imported from Italy." I learned from a documentary that he often travels to India, and continues to learn from and collaborate with local craftsmen, which I think it's a good thing. That said, I hope he continues to apply good quality control whoever he works with in the future.
FINAL VERDICT: He's still one of my favorite designers after all these years. He's kept the quality consistently high. I'd say if you can afford one/see one on sale, grab it, because just like the Margiela bags, you're not likely to see it again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads