• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tdangio
Believe me, I know (did I not say I know it was young to drink?).

You said you knew it, but I don't get the chance to use that word too often, so had to reply.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
drinking some 2004 Chianti (one of the town designated wines) with some pizza from the joint a few blocks down.

And watching some James Bond. It's a rainy friday in New York.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Did a little shopping today. Nothing jaw dropping, and only one thing really different or special.

DSC01061.jpg

Figured I'd try a Bourbon this weekend. I haven't tasted it, but the nose is wonderful. Smoke, molasses and vanilla. Will taste this weekend.

DSC01062.jpg

Now, the clear bottle is the something special. It's sotol. This is a drink made from a flowering plant indigenous to the Chihuahua region in Mexico. Sotol is the plant's Spanish name, and it's also called "the desert spoon," due to the base of it being hard and like a spoon. It is made like artisnal mezcal, and is a light, tasty drink, very similar to good tequila. I purchased the repasodo version.

DSC01063.jpg

My wife spotted a lychee flavored vodka, and wanted it. Please forgive her.

DSC01064.jpg

A few well ranked, but modestly priced ($20 price point), drinking wines.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
looks like somebody is going to be making some Vesper Martinis.

I'm rocking some inexpensive Chilean Cab tonight. I think it'll pair nicely with some NYC street food.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Did a little shopping today. Nothing jaw dropping, and only one thing really different or special. Figured I'd try a Bourbon this weekend. I haven't tasted it, but the nose is wonderful. Smoke, molasses and vanilla. Will taste this weekend.
DSC01062.jpg
Now, the clear bottle is the something special. It's sotol. This is a drink made from a flowering plant indigenous to the Chihuahua region in Mexico. Sotol is the plant's Spanish name, and it's also called "the desert spoon," due to the base of it being hard and like a spoon. It is made like artisnal mezcal, and is a light, tasty drink, very similar to good tequila. I purchased the repasodo version.
DSC01063.jpg
My wife spotted a lychee flavored vodka, and wanted it. Please forgive her. \\

Pio! Seriously, man, I'm so excited for you. You got some awesome stuff right there. Sotol FTW! An incredible bartender by the name of Bobby at this freaking hole-in-the-wall-that-really-wasn't-because-it-had-awesome-bartenders-and-a-very-serious-bar BBQ dive in Houston by the the name of Beaver's introduced me to it. Spirit of Daisywheel something-or-other. It's awesome. And White Lillet! Look up my recipe for the Savoy Corpse Reviver #2 here. Since the fee verte dances around your bar you can make one for real. And if some Luxardo Maraschino was about, you could make my signature cocktail..... ~ H

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these bottles for a b-day gift. Don't know too much about them right now...researching as we speak...anyone here have any experince with either of them?

jermann-geyser.jpg

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Recently bought Dogfish's Immort Ale. A really decent barley wine brew. Around 11% ABV, as I recall, and one of the best in this style I've ever tasted, especially in domestics. A bit pricey though at $14 a four-pack.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bought a bottle of Remy Martin XO to give to my father for his 50th Wedding Anniversary this weekend.
remy_xo.jpg

While I was there I picked up 4 more half-bottles of the '03 Chateau Guiraud on sale and another bottle of the Cambria Pinot (already gone through the two bottles we bought last week).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice Mark!

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luis Canas Reserva 2002
luis-canas_reserva_2002.jpg

Don Rodolfo Tannat 2007
rodolfo_tannat.jpg

skidsm

Reaction score
Friday evening after work picked up bottles of

Laphroig 10
Balvenie Doublewood (for a gentle single-malt, I really like this -- almost like a bourbon with the cask finish it has)
white Lillet

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fleur_pinot-noir.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
The Fleur is a soild value Pinot Noir, last time I had it I was rather surprised for an inexpensive Cali Pinot

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
The Fleur is a soild value Pinot Noir, last time I had it I was rather surprised for an inexpensive Cali Pinot

Cool! I'm glad to hear that. I haven't popped it yet but look forward to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads