• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Not really.

They were grossly underpriced to begin with. Awhile back they were 136 for handmade in the USA moccasins, you can barely get vietnamese nikes for that much and always struck me as odd because they can't do the volume to make money at that price. Then they went up to 186 (half of what apc boat shoes are) and they were still a steal so I don't really have a problem subsidizing a small operation even if the shoes are 220 or even slightly more to make sure they'll be around for a long time.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe im a bit jaded because my first pair had problems, but at this point it seems as if they are rushing them out the door to capitalize on their current popularity. to jack up the price, while letting the QC slide, in the midst of a weak economy, seems like a pretty dubious business model which doesn't really say longevity to me.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or they're having trouble (both quality and money wise) adjusting to the increased demand.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
absolutely. but i feel like they should sort things out before charging a premium for a possibly less than premium product. Im in the process of resolving my issues with the company so im not going to say anything disparaging, but i will say that had i paid the current 218 asking price for the pair i'm having problems with i'd be pissed.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Not really.

They were grossly underpriced to begin with. Awhile back they were 136 for handmade in the USA moccasins, you can barely get vietnamese nikes for that much and always struck me as odd because they can't do the volume to make money at that price. Then they went up to 186 (half of what apc boat shoes are) and they were still a steal so I don't really have a problem subsidizing a small operation even if the shoes are 220 or even slightly more to make sure they'll be around for a long time.

I 110% agree. I think though that many people have problems becuase it was only last summer that they were going for $136, a few weeks ago were $186, now upwards of $220. A roughly 70% increase in less than one year in the midst of a **** economy is what is getting people. But Jet you are right, they are of up most quality and were cheap considering their quality, so why not jack'em up...?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I just picked up the Canoe Mocs for $145 soooo I'm pretty happy.

b-ill

Reaction score
I signed up for the O'Connell's newsletter but never received the $50 off...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Get'em from oconnells while you guys still can for the price.

The $218 quoddys look exactly the same to me as when they were $136 a couple years ago when I first handled them.

who8mahrice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by b-ill
I signed up for the O'Connell's newsletter but never received the $50 off...

When you checkout, just put 50YR in the comment/promo code box. You won't be able to update the price to make it sure it works. However, when you place your order, there'll be a message saying you entered in 50YR, which is good for $50 off a $100 purchase. I also messaged them to ask to confirm the code works. Credit card was charged $50 less too, so I know it works.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my pair. I will admit to not having read the entire thread, and I know at least one member has mentioned quality issues, so I apologize if this has been discussed. Are these pics representative of the type of quality I can expect? I'm trying to decide whether to exchange or return, and would prefer not to go through the hassle of an exchange if I can expect more of the same: Crooked stitching on the lower right heel:
IMG_6635.JPG
The left shoe almost looks as though it's got the upper from a right shoe attached:
IMG_6641.JPG

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dcg: pics don't seem to be showing

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Are these pics representative of the type of quality I can expect?
Yep! IMO though, those things are part of the charm of buying handsewn mocs.

If you want perfect looking ones, get ones made on machines like Sperry, Ralph Lauren, Alden, etc.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
dcg: pics don't seem to be showing

Hmm...showing for me, anyone else having issues?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads