• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer
You asking me?

If so, no I bought them through a retailer in London, over $100 cheaper believe it or not.

Who sells OG's on Robertson? That shop next to Lisa Klein Men?

A few places in LA, did you just order them blind without trying them on?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New ones, thoughts? They're not as severe or dark as the others, the arms are actually dark tortoise. I can't tell if they're really cool or really stodgy?
blush.gif

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
A few places in LA, did you just order them blind without trying them on?

No I've tried them on, I've never seen the color that I bought though. I tried them on in the Brown/Cinamon color but bought them in Black/Crimzon. I tried them on at Maison d'Optique in Calabasas.

You have any experience, preference on the Strand? Where else in L.A. has a good OG selection?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
There are quite a few places in la that carry them but not a great selection.

Best shop here is sfh not sure if they brought their og collection down though.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
New ones, thoughts? They're not as severe or dark as the others, the arms are actually dark tortoise. I can't tell if they're really cool or really stodgy?
blush.gif

In terms of fit, those look like the fit well. Good size and shape for you. In terms of style, also nice style. I dont know what brand they are, but aviators are the norm now and you can get them from $5 kioks to banana republic up to Bvlgari. Personally I have a few pairs, it's just one of those things you have to have in your collection of frames.

dropbeats

Reaction score
hey are Revo's still good? i remember they were the **** a long time ago

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropbeats

To be honest with you, I dont carry Revo anymore but you're right, they used to be very good. I have briefly seen their current models and they seem okay, in terms of quality.

BUT I don't think that any manufacture makes it like they used to. Boss used to be made by Carerra, Dunhill and SIlhouette was made in Austria and so on. Now-a-days, its all about who will produce it for cheaper while still keeping the style true to it's roots. But occasionally, companies will go off on a tangent trying to cut costs.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
In terms of fit, those look like the fit well. Good size and shape for you. In terms of style, also nice style. I dont know what brand they are, but aviators are the norm now and you can get them from $5 kioks to banana republic up to Bvlgari. Personally I have a few pairs, it's just one of those things you have to have in your collection of frames.

Thanks! They're Polo. Quality isn't great, but they'll do the job. I'm going to check out Mosley Tribes aviators before settling on these, maybe in silver or gold frames. No more black though
blush.gif

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropbeats

I almost bought a pair of the squared off aviators the other night. They were quite solid feeling, spring hinges, and polarized glass lenses. Post pics if you get some!
smile.gif

__CB__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4ppah
I thought the same thing and emailed spectacles for humans... they're 650 each.

Ahh thanks, yeah about what I expected... doubt I'll be picking them up anytime soon.

CougarRed

Reaction score
For lightweight shades, it's hard to beat Maui Jim. I chose the Ho'okipa with rose lenses and the tortoise shell frames:
1396-888921-p.jpg
1396-888921-1.jpg
1396-888921-4.jpg
These glasses don't slip down my nose. Ever. So light, you forget that you have them on. Excellent lens clarity. Great for golf or any outdoor activity. They have two other frame and lens color choices, and if you are far-sighted, you can get them built for reading. For aviator-style sunglasses with real glass lenses, I have tried a lot of brands (Oliver Peoples, Mosley Tribes, Persol etc), but I prefer the Serengeti flex series. Their old school Driver lens is legendary, and they also have a Driver Polarized lens and another green based lens (555nm) for extremely bright conditions. Here's a pair of Serengeti Augusto Drivers that I own:
sunglassesgiant_2047_236422600
Finally, for the goggles look, I go Prada Sport polarized:
yhst-55746445655445_2050_196660176
The Serengetis and the Prada Sport are wonderful glasses. But the Ho'okipa's are in a league of their own. The difference is no matter how hot it gets, how much you sweat, how much you move around, the Ho'okipas don't slip. I attribute it to a combination of the larger nose pads, the light weight, and the rubber ear grippers. The others are heavier, have traditional nose pads, and no ear grippers, so they are better suited to driving or relatively cool weather/stationary viewing like a poker game or a ball game.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CougarRed
For lightweight shades, it's hard to beat Maui Jim. I chose the Ho'okipa with rose lenses and the tortoise shell frames:
1396-888921-p.jpg
1396-888921-1.jpg
1396-888921-4.jpg
These glasses don't slip down my nose. Ever. So light, you forget that you have them on. Excellent lens clarity. Great for golf or any outdoor activity. They have two other frame and lens color choices, and if you are far-sighted, you can get them built for reading. For aviator-style sunglasses with real glass lenses, I have tried a lot of brands (Oliver Peoples, Mosley Tribes, Persol etc), but I prefer the Serengeti flex series. Their old school Driver lens is legendary, and they also have a Driver Polarized lens and another green based lens (555nm) for extremely bright conditions. Here's a pair of Serengeti Augusto Drivers that I own:
sunglassesgiant_2047_236422600
Finally, for the goggles look, I go Prada Sport polarized:
yhst-55746445655445_2050_196660176
The Serengetis and the Prada Sport are wonderful glasses. But the Ho'okipa's are in a league of their own. The difference is no matter how hot it gets, how much you sweat, how much you move around, the Ho'okipas don't slip. I attribute it to a combination of the larger nose pads, the light weight, and the rubber ear grippers. The others are heavier, have traditional nose pads, and no ear grippers, so they are better suited to driving or relatively cool weather/stationary viewing like a poker game or a ball game.

Those Maui Jims are the "cheaper" of their line. I mean, the least expensive. Probably because they are easily fabricated. But great lenses none the less. The newer Prada sports are awsome. I just saw the new ones for this season and they are HOT! a lot of flat/matte blacks. They look awsome. Definitely worth taking a look at. And their Sport line is less expensive (relatively speaking). Excellent choices and a good selection of styles.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on those Maui Jims above, and they were freakin incredible. If the style had been a little different, I would have picked them up. Instead I got Oakley Ice Picks for golfing, which are the same idea.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
All those are terrible and please don't bring up prada again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads