• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bonsai

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I have seen that before. It is truly beautiful in every way.

If you own something like that, and you forget to water it, and it dies, what do you do?

Enjoy a winter view. Forever.

Certre08winner.jpg

Originally Posted by Huntsman
Truly incredible, lefty. Bonsai has been for me one of those things that always makes me pause in the moment to apprehend it.

May I ask how is it that the leaves become miniaturized to match the trees? I've never understood that.

~ H

I am an utter novice, but while there is some miniaturization that happens through the severe pruning and wiring of roots/branches/trunk a Bonzai tree endures before being potted, in many cases they are simply trees with smaller leaves. Conifers will also have their needles shortened prior to a show.

Here's a stunner:

bonsai.jpg

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Huntsman, I looked into it further. Here's the opening paragraph from an article on leaf size by well-known grower:

Reducing the size of leaves and the distance between them (the internodes) is the primary focus of the final training of bonsai. This comes after years of developing the trunk, the nebari, and the branches. I have been studying this phenomenon for many years. This is what I have concluded thus far:

The size of leaves, the length of internodes, and the thickness of twigs are related to the:

* Balance of the canopy to the root mass,
* Age and density of the roots,
* Level of fertility,
* Presence or absence of hormones,
* Level of light.

Of these five factors the first and second have the greatest importance for bonsai, but the other three also play a role.

Article

Be still my heart:

rebs0214.jpg

lefty

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Japanese Imperial Palace supposedly has a legendary bonsai garden. National Geographic had a few shots of some trees that were giants in an old issue.

Weyerhaeuser in Federal Way, WA also has an impressive collection. They recently closed the display to the public though, to cut back on costs.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
I highly doubt it, a couple of examples are probably second generation property, or more...

Some of the examples in this thread are worth several hundred thousand dollars.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some type of Japanese Maple I imagine. There are many that tend to small leaves and brilliant red colour.

Another:

c_pall_maple_001.jpg

Nice grove:

2337093856_2302c2f0a0.jpg

Not in colour:

2635657596_1b32011c25.jpg

lefty

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They're stunning. Have often thought of taking it up, but have always been afraid I'd very quickly kill one off.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is incredible. What is the price range that Bonsais go for? And is it that difficult to take care of them?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Some of the examples in this thread are worth several hundred thousand dollars.

yeah, and probably took several hundred years to get to that point. I would love to try, but don`t know if I can stick to it for decades to get a decent result.

Casual

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful. My wife and I were unsuccessful at our first try
frown.gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casual
Absolutely beautiful. My wife and I were unsuccessful at our first try
frown.gif

It helps to start with decent stock, but the key is proper watering. Don't let them dry out or the roots will die; don't over water or the roots will rot.

If you're in Brooklyn the botanical gardens has a nice selection in one of their greenhouses.

I'm off this weekend to a state park where for the price of a few hours hard labour moving a stone wall they will allow a few of us to harvest some trees for bonsai.

lefty

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful. I just started out with a small Boxwood tree, I pruned it nicely and all.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous stuff. Looking at it makes me happy. Seems so serene. You look at them and forget about all the chaos in the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics