• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think you should just get a different cut if you don't like how it looks with a normal waist.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Usually, I'd agree with this, but I think there are certain jeans that are meant to be flexible in terms of fit, whether due to stretch (APCs) or shrink (STFs). I was pretty much in the same situation (started with a 32 that ended up too loose) and took the same advice I gave him (sized down to a 30 which I soaked while wearing), and I'm pretty happy with the results. Sure, they're probably slimmer than 501s are "meant" to look, but I like 'em
smile.gif

allcapitan

Reaction score
So if I do the soak while wearing 'em thing, how long will it take for my jeans to dry while wearing them? Just hanging out wearing sopping wet pants doesn't sound like my idea of fun, frankly.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Maybe a few hours to be completely dry. If you find it uncomfortable, just take them off; all the shrinking happens during the soak, not after (although drying while on your body supposedly helps it "mold" better, if you really care about such things).

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
So if I do the soak while wearing 'em thing, how long will it take for my jeans to dry while wearing them? Just hanging out wearing sopping wet pants doesn't sound like my idea of fun, frankly.
Be a man and tough it out.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
I've tried on a pair of the new fit. I can't say I'm terribly impressed: the rise is a bit too high for my taste, and if you want a fitted pair, you really have to go narrow in the waist. Sure, they'll stretch, but do you want to wait 6 months for that to happen?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hung them for a bit until they weren't dripping anymore. Then I put them on and squatted a bit.

I then proceeded to ride my bike around the block a few times (I'd say a little under a mile of riding...5 minutes) since I figured the moving air might help dry them a bit and setting the creases by biking makes sense since I am on a bike multiple times a day.

Finally I took them off and hung them from two hangers (2 clothespins each) a few inches apart so that the waist/legs hung open. This let them dry in the creepy legs shape and they were stiff enough that they could stand on their own.

no need to completely dry them on your body

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pimpmystyle
I've tried on a pair of the new fit. I can't say I'm terribly impressed: the rise is a bit too high for my taste, and if you want a fitted pair, you really have to go narrow in the waist. Sure, they'll stretch, but do you want to wait 6 months for that to happen?
Dunno what you're talking about... the rise on the 501 has always been high (technically it's mid-rise, but people here aren't used to that, it seems). And 501s aren't supposed to be "fitted," they're the quintessential "anti-fit" jean; if you want fitted, go with the 514 or 511. Also don't know where you pulled that six month figure from; it only takes a few wears for the waist to stretch out, not six months.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I plan to buy some STF 501, both raw and khaki? My questions are about sizing.

1.) Any difference in shrink/stretch as far as raw Vs. Khaki?

2.) Let's say they are in purchased condition. After I hot soak them and wear while wet, will they eventually(Say a month's time) stretch out to equal, or greater the length of the store bought sizing?

3.) What's the general rundown on the size up/down for STF 501s?

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
So I plan to buy some STF 501, both raw and khaki? My questions are about sizing. 1.) Any difference in shrink/stretch as far as raw Vs. Khaki? 2.) Let's say they are in purchased condition. After I hot soak them and wear while wet, will they eventually(Say a month's time) stretch out to equal, or greater the length of the store bought sizing? 3.) What's the general rundown on the size up/down for STF 501s?
1) All STFs are raw, I assume you're asking if there's a difference between indigo and khaki. I don't have any experience with the khaki myself, but I assume they're the same, just in different colors. 2) The waist will stretch out a bit, as will other areas put under pressure (mostly in the top block), as is typical with jeans. The leg width and length will basically shrink permanently, though, unless you do something to counteract it (like pulling on it while wet). 3) 0-2 sizes up from your true waist depending on how you want them to fit, 1 to be safe.

sayocean

Reaction score
Here is my May update, Cinco de Mayo edition. Was gonna hold up a few more days after my first wash but figured I'd do another picture heavy update then. Enjoy. 104 Days of total wear.
3506092714_ff65b100a1.jpg
3506081382_a7de3250d6.jpg
3505272155_15753d290e.jpg
3506080276_e9ecdd5e27.jpg
3505270673_3079a98e2f.jpg
3505270519_80415719cc.jpg
3505270369_53c36838e8.jpg
3505270225_bdcbd45f98.jpg
3505270897_6aa8c5816e.jpg

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't even notice till now, but my newest 501 STF don't have the XX stamp.

my others have it. anyone else have STF 501 with no XX?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd love to see a pic of those being worn (so as to see where the fades are really forming)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads