• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Boat Owners?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
LOL at a lot of the posts. My brothers and I had a 26 foot 1970 Columbia for a while that our dad bought before he passed away. We ended up selling it a couple years ago sadly-- all I can say is that the one thing I learned about boating is that you either need to either be prepared to spend a lot of dough to buy a newer boat and pay someone else to do the maintainence or you need to be very dedicated to doing the work yourself.

Thank a lot to Concordia and Yachtie for sharing. Those are both beautiful crafts and I have a lot of respect for you guys for keeping them in such gorgeous shape-- I can tell it is a labor of love.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
right now i've got a 1974 mastercraft stars and stripes that i'm working on restoring, or upgrading might be more accurate. i use this on a lake for, among other things, water skiing. i would also like to get a 25' sailboat since i live near the ocean, but one thing at a time.
smile.gif

MHH89

Reaction score
My dream is to restore an old 1940's cris-craft.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
My dream is to restore an on 1940's cris-craft.

mine too. i've read a few books on them and there was a really great exhibit on them at the mariner's museum, which thankfully is right down the street from me. i was looking at a chris-craft when i got my boat, but realized i didn't have the time, money, or facility to restore one right now, but i really would like to in the near future. they're absolutely works of art.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Haven't been for a few years but am planning to go this summer ( kids are asking for an overnighter). The wooden boat show there a few years back was a blast.

Saugatuck ( another popular spot on the east side) is too shallow for us.

I spend a good amount of time there in the summer. You should let me know when you are there and we can go out for a beer or something.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
South Haven is really nice, but IMO Grand Haven, just a little ways north, is a nicer place. Maybe not for sailors, I don't know. But it's a great little town on the lake.

They are both nice. I find Grand Haven to have more power boats and be more developed and built-up than South Haven. Something I don't like.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
They are both nice. I find Grand Haven to have more power boats and be more developed and built-up than South Haven. Something I don't like.

You are in MI?

I lived in Holland for years, worked in Saugatauk, which is a Chicago madhouse in the summer (lots of Chicago drugs too).

Tons of great boats in the summer.

Growing up we had a Newport and a Swan 44. Both great boats, the swan was amazing.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Powerboats are for people with small penises. Sailboats are SF-approved.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
I spend a good amount of time there in the summer. You should let me know when you are there and we can go out for a beer or something.
Good Idea, Look for a PM ( thinking July).
Originally Posted by antirabbit
You are in MI? I lived in Holland for years, worked in Saugatauk, which is a Chicago madhouse in the summer (lots of Chicago drugs too). Tons of great boats in the summer. Growing up we had a Newport and a Swan 44. Both great boats, the swan was amazing.
Of course, they're S&S's IIRC. We should get together this summer too.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
My father used to own larger boats. We had a Feadship and Burger before than. I think they were both somewhere around 100'. Right now we have a 50' Meridian which my dad bought as a lake boat but it is kind of a crap boat...it has been for sale for like 2 years now. My favorite boat that my dad has is a Chris Craft Launch 25...I am not sure that it is the best quality but it looks great.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
You are in MI?

I lived in Holland for years, worked in Saugatauk, which is a Chicago madhouse in the summer (lots of Chicago drugs too).

Tons of great boats in the summer.

Growing up we had a Newport and a Swan 44. Both great boats, the swan was amazing.

Yeah, I grew up in Kalamazoo and my parents live there. It is like half an hour from South Haven. My uncle owns a pretty good sized house there on the beach also so I go there for that. He lives in Boston for most of the year so it's pretty much empty.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
My dream is to restore an old 1940's cris-craft.

They are beautiful, but the most beautiful is the Riva Super Aquarama:

20017-riva-2007-aquarama1.jpg

SUPERAQUARAMA2154.jpg

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thread bump. Almost done with spring commissioning ( still have to pull the new wiring loom into the main mast).

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Thread bump. Almost done with spring commissioning ( still have to pull the new wiring loom into the main mast).

Do you do the work yourself or do you have it done? I'm not handy so I have most of mine done. We can float ours year-round, but have to winterize all the waterbearing systems.

Just had the de-winterization done (by the marina). Now just need to pick a weekend to get up there to work out the bugs and make sure she's ready for the season. Have to work all weekend this weekend, then have my parents' 50th anniversary the next weekend. Maybe the weekend after that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads