• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Strand or McAllister?

mfwt

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a new pair of shoes in brown, and I'm stuck between the Strand and the McAllister. What do you guys think?

McAllister:

6235.jpg

Strand:

1635.jpg

sl33p3rs

Reaction score
I'd go with the McAllister
358aee4cc897452c00244351e4d91f69.jpg
more elegant looking.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strand --- I have tons of shoes that look like the McAllister already, but no cap toes with medallion.

mfwt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nexus6
Be agressive, buy 1 pair of each.
wink.gif

I'm way ahead of you, buddy.
smile.gif
I was going to buy two pairs, but I didn't want to get two brogues!

bluemax

Reaction score
I think the McAllister's wings look ridiculous with all that broguing. It's just gaudy, in a bad way. The captoe on the Strand tones down the excessive broguing, and makes it a more elegant choice, in my opinion.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd base my decision on the last. If they are on the same last, I'd get the Strand, since you don't have that many of them. If not, I'd get the McA, I've seen it a few times on the interwebz, in different sizes, and I always thought it was one of the better looking AEs.

David Watts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
I'd base my decision on the last. If they are on the same last, I'd get the Strand, since you don't have that many of them. If not, I'd get the McA, I've seen it a few times on the interwebz, in different sizes, and I always thought it was one of the better looking AEs.

Pretty sure they're both on the 5.

I have two pairs of the McAllisters and love them. Not blobby in the slightest.

I've been thinking of picking up a pair of the Strands in Walnut, but seeing them compared like that, I might just get the McAs instead. That way, I'll have one in each finish.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I tried them both on and liked the Strand much better. I'm a wingtip fan and even went in looking for wingtips, just didn't like the way the McCallisters looked on me.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
It's strange I was in your position only a few weeks ago.

Are you buying them at full retail? ($279)

See if you can find an AE store nearby and try them on for fit. They are nice shoes but for the $20 - 30 difference I prefer the C & J Westfield. The difference, for me, in terms of fit, look, and quality was SIGNIFICANT enough for me to completely forget AE. If you can't wait for shipping or live in an area where that just doesn't work and AE is easily accessible, go for it, but I HIGHLY recommend you check out Pediwear.

Otherwise, go for the strand.

mfwt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
It's strange I was in your position only a few weeks ago.

Are you buying them at full retail? ($279)

See if you can find an AE store nearby and try them on for fit. They are nice shoes but for the $20 - 30 difference I prefer the C & J Westfield. The difference, for me, in terms of fit, look, and quality was SIGNIFICANT enough for me to completely forget AE. If you can't wait for shipping or live in an area where that just doesn't work and AE is easily accessible, go for it, but I HIGHLY recommend you check out Pediwear.

Otherwise, go for the strand.

Yeah, since the sale is going on - I'll probably buy them at retail. Unfortunately, I cannot try any of them on, since Vancouver is a total wasteland for shoes.

I'll check out your suggestion though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads