• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
^please... unless you have something constructive to say GTFO of my thread.^
Sounds like you've got your mind made up on wasting your life. I find it interesting you're set on marriage yet seem so immature/directionless. There aren't any jobs or fields out there that do not require a combination of experience/education/hardwork (and hardwork is not target level of hardwork, it is really hardwork ie: small business). FWIW, as you are under the middle-class bracket, you're not someone to which leisure time (play time) is conductive for success. You need to work hard first and play later. Working and playing at the same won't work for you. If you don't have the money, qualifications or experience that you need for a solid job at this point in time then you shouldn't be going on a vacation. You should be preparing yourself for the future. I know my cousins cannot afford the university tuition they incur but the American government generously provides for them (low income family aid or something). Something like $40k per year? Now the company one of my cousins (in EE) is paying for his masters. Unlike Canada, the States provides many more education opportunities to those that put in the effort.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robbie,

I read your story, and instantly I think of those ITT Tech commercials. The stories of their graduates all seem to be strikingly similar to yours.

Perhaps that's an option for you, get a diploma in something technical like drafting or computer repair. It will be much faster than college, only focused on the directly relevant stuff, and take you into a higher paying career.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Why? You can't do **** without money. That makes it pretty important, doesn't it? Think of all the day to day things in your life that are possible with money. You probably have a family that you support and a house that you live in. These things are possible because you have some amount of money. Notice I am not specifying a quantity. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=104 Is it really that egregious? I'm glad so many of you on this forum devoted to expensive high-end clothing are actually ascetic monks. I'm clearly in the wrong here, so I hereby retract all my previous statements and agree with others in this thread with the following: Robbie, it's really great that you are 23, have no idea what you want to do with your life, and work at Target (a job someone who hasn't even finished high school could do!) Congratulations, this is really quite OK and you are a success! Perhaps you should take a meandering roadtrip across the United States to celebrate! Maybe spend some time to "find yourself!" Don't do anything that you don't absolutely want to do because as twenty year olds we are all entitled to do exactly what we want! Money isn't important. Great advice and support in this thread all around!
Your are a waste of fresh air and an epic failure as a human being. There is no way your job, ideas and interests are anything but boring trash. You are the definition of stupidity. You'll transmit your second rate values and limited outlook on life to your children, unleashing a new generation of morons into the world. Please kill yourself now, the only use the world has for you is as fertilizer. Did I mention I hate you? I hate you.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Your are a waste of fresh air and an epic failure as a human being. There is no way your job, ideas and interests are anything but boring trash. You are the definition of stupidity. You'll transmit your second rate values and limited outlook on life to your children, unleashing a new generation of morons into the world. Please kill yourself now, the only use the world has for you is as fertilizer. Did I mention I hate you? I hate you.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

slow clap

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always love the fresh perspective fuuma puts on things.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of money, faith, and love, money is the least important and easiest to figure out. You've got the second and third well in hand, so I'd say you're ahead of the curve.
Bollocks to the haters and mouth-breathing degenerates.

PS Give journalism a thought.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh, to be young, naive, and stupid again....

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
PS Give journalism a thought.

why?

Very very very rapidly shrinking industry at the institutional level, crappy pay, and every second kid who thinks he can write wants to enter it. Exploding ciizen media industry of minimal credibility and near-impossible monetisation.

I can think of very few less attractive fields to be entering at the moment.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not enter the ministry? You are not a Catholic, so you can be married and still a minister, right?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Why not enter the ministry? You are not a Catholic, so you can be married and still a minister, right?

yeah, most Protestant denominations prefer (...require) you to be married in order to become an ordained minister IME.

It isn't completely out of the question, I definitely want my beliefs to be a part of my career... but I don't know if full-time ministry is something I am spiritually capable of at this point. I could do it, but I would to create what I feel would be a 'blind leading the blind' situation.

I don't remember if I have mentioned this yet or not. But I am going back to study journalism. I have 3 semesters of Journalism, and 2 of Education and hope that with what I have from that I will be able to finish a degree in journalism with an emphasis in photo-journalism sometime between now and 2012. I have minimal debt to pay off (less than 1k) in order to get my transcripts from the last school I attended. With work how it is now I am not able to make the double and up payments I was making in the past.

Hopefully by September I will be able to enroll and get some more school under my belt.

I think I have gleaned the advice I need, so umm we can all be done with this thread.

robbie

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont get you people who think you should know what you want right away. have you never been in the arts community or even look at the baby boomers. 90% of the people in the arts community dont know what the **** theyll be doing but do little projects live life day to day and just get by doing what they love etc. in the end many of them end up being successful in something and have amazing stories to tell about their crazy life when theyre older. all those flower power hippies and baby boomers were doing **** and living life and now many of them are the yuppies living in upper middle class suburbs etc. if you were 34 and writing this id be worried, but at 23 you have time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads