• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering suit sleeve length

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor can't let out suit sleeves without sewing the sleeve shut all around (without the split at the cuff). Needless to say, this will ruin working buttonholes and look weird for my other suits/sportcoats.

She says it can't be done any other way. Is she right? I have long arms and find that my shirt cuffs stick out far too much for my liking.

Also, anyone know a tailor in downtown Minneapolis? I don't have a car. I have a whole bunch of suits/sportcoats that need alterations.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Can't be done any other way? That's bullshit. I have my sleeves lengthened at least an inch on a regular basis and would never allow someone to alter my jacket in that manner.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have working cuffs then the sleeve has to be taken up at the shoulder, which is a more serious operation, if she can't do that you will just have to take them somewhere else if you want to keep the working cuffs.

satorstyle

Reaction score
If the button holes have not been cut the sleeves can be lengthened with no problems. If the sleeves are already finished the material my be to short to use so the tailor will add material and refinish the sleeve.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify: I need them lengthened. She says she can't do it (or it can't be done) without sewing the cuff shut, so there is no overlap of fabric. I don't really believe her.

king_pen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Just to clarify: I need them lengthened. She says she can't do it (or it can't be done) without sewing the cuff shut, so there is no overlap of fabric. I don't really believe her.

are there functioning buttons? if so there isn't a whole lot that can be done. if not, she's just not willing to take the extra time to re-taper the placket. take it somewhere else

rfawcett

Reaction score
What is the make of the suit? Sometimes it's best to take it to the store you bought it from or sells exclusively the same brand. I bought a Hugo Boss that was tight in the seatpant and Nordstroms didn't want to touch it. I took it to the HB store in Fashion Valley, San Diego and they did the alterations perfectly.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by king_pen
are there functioning buttons? if so there isn't a whole lot that can be done. if not, she's just not willing to take the extra time to re-taper the placket. take it somewhere else
Thanks, those were the terms I was looking for. She probably doesn't know how to re-taper the placket. Is it hard? Do most tailors know how? What would be a reasonable cost to most tailors?

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
Go to Stephen Dean in Minneapolis. He's located in the Kenwood neighborhood which would be an easy taxi fare from downtown. He's by far the best tailor I've worked with here in Minneapolis. I'm sure he can help you out. PM me if you'd like more info on him.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
If you have working cuffs then the sleeve has to be taken up at the shoulder, which is a more serious operation, if she can't do that you will just have to take them somewhere else if you want to keep the working cuffs.

he wants the sleeves longer not shorter.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there should be at least 2" of cloth to use for lengthening unless there was a previous alteration.
it is possible that the button holes were sewn in through the cloth turned up at the bottom. that would complicate things, but it still might work.
if the sleeves had been lengthened before then there may not been enough left to lengthen.
although some length could be gained by facing the bottom of the sleeve.
talk to your tailor.

Enfo

Reaction score
The fabric is folded inside on the cuff, but if you have surgen cuffs, the button holes are punched through the reverse side as well.

generally, functional cuffs are seen on MTM or Bespoke suits and not RTW for that reason.

king_pen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Thanks, those were the terms I was looking for. She probably doesn't know how to re-taper the placket. Is it hard? Do most tailors know how?

What would be a reasonable cost to most tailors?

they should all know how. lengthening the sleeve isn't that hard. cost-wise it should be anywhere from $15-25

Sebastian

Reaction score
I never heard of a problem like that.

I had my tailor do this with three jackets quite recently and he never had to sew the cuffs shut. I paid around 20€ for the job for each jacket. So everything up to 35$ sounds reasonable to me.

My honest advise: Change your tailor! This is a basic alteration and is not hard to do at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads