• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are some classes everyone should take in college?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I tend to find sociology more interesting than psychology in my experiences, I just learned more "interesting things about people" in my sociology classes while my psychology classes seemed more biology based and scientifically driven.
+1. I'm a little biased because it's my field, but I loved these classes in undergrad. They certainly make you think twice about normal everyday social interactions. Some people seem to love their 101 Sociology classes, while others completely hated them. Worst comes to worst, you'll at least learn how to bullshit your way through a paper.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I've never taken anything like that. I was just makin a cheap joke at the OP's expense
blush.gif

Well, he should probably concentrate on "What to do in a rubber room 101."

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Well, he should probably concentrate on "What to do in a rubber room 101."

After teh Aperipocalypse, it's going to be the rest of us in the teh rubber roomz.
frown.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
After teh Aperipocalypse, it's going to be the rest of us in the teh rubber roomz.
frown.gif

Will we all go aperipoplectic?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
purity.png

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
Humanities classes... I would have taken more humanities classes, and fewer history/religion classes.
confused.gif
History and religious studies ARE humanities subjects.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Economics. You takes them.

smath

Reaction score
^^ ahah, I love xkcd.

I'd say that, besides the math I've taken, the C++ class and Formal logic have most shaped the way I think and analyze things; they are pretty great classes. You should also take the time to learn another language. And I know it's required, but Comp II is a must.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
History. If you can only take a few, take some on World War II. The perspective you will gain on how impacted so many aspects of your life are from previous events, especially the Wars, can be very eye opening.

Remember, a liberal arts college is not a trade school. Use your time there to broaden your mind, rather than focusing solely on your major.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
If you're not on a science related field, what possible use could you have for physics in everyday life???

If you plan to own your own small business, the most basic accounting course could prove useful.Doing some of the super-easy book-keeping yourself can save you big bucks on your bill from your accountant at the end of the year.

That, and perhaps the most basic finance class since this teaches you how interest works. Everyone pays it, but astounding numbers of people don't fully comprehend how long they'll be paying it or how much they'll be paying.

I feel basic knowledge on gravity and electricity can be extremely useful in daily life. Gravity is actually very counterintuitive, and I can guarantee that a large majority of folks don't have a clue about how some things in nature really work.

I agree with basic finance and economics class. The idea of a sunk cost is still a mystery to a large percentage of adults.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smath
^^ ahah, I love xkcd.

I'd say that, besides the math I've taken, the C++ class and Formal logic have most shaped the way I think and analyze things; they are pretty great classes. You should also take the time to learn another language. And I know it's required, but Comp II is a must.

I agree about formal logic, though I think it can be both eye opening and limiting at the same time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads