• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

pokey07

Reaction score
white jeans look pretty good. I doubt I could pull it off though.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
men.style.com says the new ones should launch in august with the signature blue rivet. i think i might wait to try these ones.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I HIGHLY doubt those white jeans are really raw. All of the Gap selvage stuff online says it's raw and they treat the word selvage to mean raw in several locations which as we all know the two words are not interchangable.

I am skeptical given the fact a pair of very highly destroyed VERY washed out selvage jeans are also called raw on gap.com

I am by no means an expert but unless they were garment dyed white and then unwashed, I don't see how white jeans could be "raw" since most white jeans are bleached. Additionally since they are white, you aren't going to see the dye movement and resulting fades that is a large part of the appeal of raw indigo denim.

Kill_switch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
I HIGHLY doubt those white jeans are really raw. All of the Gap selvage stuff online says it's raw and they treat the word selvage to mean raw in several locations which as we all know the two words are not interchangable.

I am skeptical given the fact a pair of very highly destroyed VERY washed out selvage jeans are also called raw on gap.com

I am by no means an expert but unless they were garment dyed white and then unwashed, I don't see how white jeans could be "raw" since most white jeans are bleached. Additionally since they are white, you aren't going to see the dye movement and resulting fades that is a large part of the appeal of raw indigo denim.

i think it might be considering the text mentioning how it conforms to your body and giving waiting-to-wash directions. true, like white raws you wont see fades but you'll feel comfortable, its similar to white somets.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill_switch
i think it might be considering the text mentioning how it conforms to your body and giving waiting-to-wash directions. true, like white raws you wont see fades but you'll feel comfortable, its similar to white somets.

But if you read that sentence, they say "selvage" jeans conform to your body, which isn't true. That is my exact point as to how they use selvage to mean raw.

The misuse of the word selvage just makes me wonder.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
They do say raw denim even for the white jeans

Our Japanese "selvage" jeans are made from a unique kind of raw untouched denim, designed to form to your body. Don't miss special instructions below.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
They do say raw denim even for the white jeans Our Japanese "selvage" jeans are made from a unique kind of raw untouched denim, designed to form to your body. Don't miss special instructions below.
Again, they have misused the word raw several times. Don't believe everything you read. I am not saying they aren't raw, I'm just asking for some common sense and skepticism. Read the "special instructions" they define selvage as "conforming to your body" which is idiotic and shows they use Raw and Selvage as interchangable.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
I'm not sure about them being raw or not, but my white GAP's shrunk over 2" in the inseam, which at least points to them not being sanforized.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
How much would a pair of 34x30s or 34x32s shrink? I'm usually a 32x30, and a year ago I got a pair of 33x30 Gap raws and they've shrunk to the point where they're kinda too tight for me, although still wearable. I remember trying on a pair of 34s and thinking they were way too big, but I didn't think about how they might fit if I shrunk them.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
How much would a pair of 34x30s or 34x32s shrink? I'm usually a 32x30, and a year ago I got a pair of 33x30 Gap raws and they've shrunk to the point where they're kinda too tight for me, although still wearable. I remember trying on a pair of 34s and thinking they were way too big, but I didn't think about how they might fit if I shrunk them.
They stretch more than they shrink in the waist, so I'd recommend getting a pair the fits tight in the waist OTR. Mine were very tight OTR, but are a tad wide after shrink/stretch. Your mileage may vary though.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
I'm not sure about them being raw or not, but my white GAP's shrunk over 2" in the inseam, which at least points to them not being sanforized.
sanforized jeans do shrink.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
sanforized jeans do shrink.
If you read closely, you may discover that I wrote "points to them not being sanforized" and not "therefore they are not sanforized", as I don't claim to know everthing about how much all types of sanforized denim shrinks. I have, however, never encountered any that shrunk 2" in the inseam.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
chicago update...

michigan ave still has these at full price (and it still looks like they havn't sold a pair or even rearranged them since the last time I looked).

I did find a pair or two of skinny's that were marked down to 29 but in the dark rinse...tried to see if I could get the rigid ones for the same price but the dark rinse is from holiday season (it had a zip fly) so no go.

I still don't know how other people were getting these for $40 when I am stuck with them at $88+highest sales tax in the country

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
chicago update...

michigan ave still has these at full price (and it still looks like they havn't sold a pair or even rearranged them since the last time I looked).

I did find a pair or two of skinny's that were marked down to 29 but in the dark rinse...tried to see if I could get the rigid ones for the same price but the dark rinse is from holiday season (it had a zip fly) so no go.

I still don't know how other people were getting these for $40 when I am stuck with them at $88+highest sales tax in the country

I got them for 40 because my gf works pt for gap inc.

and the dark rinse holiday 08 skinnys have button flys so I am not sure what pair you were looking at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads