• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch for my dads 50th US$15000~US$20000 budget

danielvh

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My dad wants to get himself a watch for his 50th and has asked me to help him choose it. He's allocated a budget of somewhere between US$15000 and US$20000 and unfortunately (as I don't really like the brand) is pretty set on a Rolex - he grew up in rural South Africa and it was THE status symbol so he's wanted one all his life and I guess that's stuck. (Personally, I'd get a Jaeger I think)

So, given that budget, which Rolex would you get (old or new)? Preference for a fairly simple design (no jewels or complicated features. No chronograph. Also, probably leather strap as opposed to metal.

Cheers,

Daniel

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal preference would be for a metal bracelet, but that's just me. I'd go with something like a classic Submariner or GMT. Doesn't get much more classic than those.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
why not Patek Phillipe...

"you never own a patek phillipe. you merely look after it for the next generation"..is their marketing quote.

so you'll get it sometime!!

they only have leather strap i think, and dead centre in your price range

they're classic and elegant (also you can describe them as plain)

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he wants a Rolex he should get a Rolex. I dont like them but he does and that is all that matters. Datejust Presidential.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
why not Patek Phillipe...

"you never own a patek phillipe. you merely look after it for the next generation"..is their marketing quote.

so you'll get it sometime!!

they only have leather strap i think, and dead centre in your price range

they're classic and elegant (also you can describe them as plain)

Patek Phillipe is an excellent suggestion. It would depend if your father would be willing to compromise on his Rolex dream, though.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for patek. I was given a calatrava by my grandfather, truly a classic watch.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
If he wants a Rolex he should get a Rolex.

Exactly. And budget allowing, he should get the one he's pictured all his life.

videocrew

Reaction score
If he wants a Rolex he should get a Rolex.
+2. If this is his dream, nothing else should even be considered. I love the Daytona on a leather strap, but the Explorer 2 would be cool as well.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he wants a Rolex he should get a Rolex. I dont like them but he does and that is all that matters. Datejust Presidential.

the "president" is the day-date

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes but it is the gold version rather than the stainless

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Rolex doesn't sell a lot of models on strap although there's nothing to prevent you from removing the bracelet and putting it on a strap.

I think for around $17K list you can get a gold Datejust on strap.
Those are pretty plain and have the classic Rolex look.
product-zoom-rolex-11657.jpg

The Day-Date (commonly and incorrectly called the President) is going to be outside your price range. The President refers to the bracelet style. They're only available in gold or platinum and are all pretty flashy although they might be the other classic Rolex look he's looking for especially if he's thinking of LBJ.

If $15K is really your lower limit, you've eliminated all the plain models.

I personally would go for a Submariner or GMT in steel.
Maybe even a steel Turn-O-Graph on Jubilee bracelet.
For $20K you could buy all three.

Another "classic" Rolex look is the gold/steel Datejust on Jubilee although I personally think it's horrible looking.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I personally would go for a Submariner or GMT in steel.
Maybe even a steel Turn-O-Graph on Jubilee bracelet.
For $20K you could buy all three.

Agreed. If it's Rolex you're definitely after, and a classic look at that, the Submariner or GMT are the way to go I feel.

danielvh

Reaction score
I'm starting to think that the best idea is to get one of the cheaper Rolex watches (I think the Milgauss is my favourite) and then a second dressier watch as well with the change, and get a nice watch case that would hold both of them.

What do you guys think of this idea?

So, I think the Milgauss has a list price of US$5900 leaving about US$10000 or so to spend on another.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads