• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TC11201

Reaction score
Gdl203 and I have resolved last night's issues (thankfully, I'm sure others will be saying, but honestly, what good is a NY-focused thread without a NY-style, ahem, "debate"). We've both removed last night's excesses to keep the thread focused on the topic at hand - NY tailors. I don't want to speak for him, but would sum up the crux of the discussion this way (and am happy for him to correct me if I'm misstating his views, particularly of Wilfred):

1. He is a long-time and very happy customer of Wilfred's, as are a number of other well-regarded and knowledgeable posters on this forum. Great work from good, honest people; if there's a downside, the prices can be high. I've never used Wilfred's.

2. I'm a long-time and very happy customer of LNC on Baxter St. IMHO, LNC is a real sleeper - excellent work at excellent prices. I'd recommend them unreservedly for virtually any alterations, including big jobs.

For bespoke, I'd say that you maximize chances of success if you have a very good idea of what you're looking for from a stylistic perspective (at a reasonably detailed level - feel free to PM me for specifics), what you're looking for isn't too experimental (the SAS, for instance, would not be possible for a bunch of reasons, most notably language) and you communicate your thoughts fully. Assuming you do, you should get an excellent garment for an excellent price. I have something in the works from him and will post pics when it is ready so others have some point of comparison. Don't expect too much advanced stylistic guidance or familiarity with many of the sartorial techniques that we like to talk about here (spalla camicia, etc.) - without specifically guiding him, the default style is akin to old school, middle of the fairway English...

3. I'm a sometimes happy customer of Cardelino - the father does very good work at decent prices and is a very nice man to boot. The son is, eh, still learning the craft - he can probably do simpler stuff, but anything requiring more work seems beyond him right now (and don't let him touch anything with a pattern...). Unfortunately, it isn't clear to me whether you can specify dad when you walk in there (at least, not without offending...)

My only new offering is that I've also used the in-house tailors at the trinity of NY high-end dept stores - Barney's, BG and Saks. BG is the only one I'd even contemplate using again, and then, it would need to be for a special reason. Barney's was adequate quality at absurd prices ($300+ for a suit - waist nip, sleeve length, working button-holes on the jacket, waist and seat taken in a little and hemming for the pants), Saks was adequate to poor quality at high prices, but with a really dismissive attitude (seemed like they thought they were doing me a favor for allowing me into their sanctum). BG's prices are high, but the workmanship is good and the customer-friendly attitude what you would expect from a quality institution.

I hope I haven't misquoted gdl2003's views. Now back to regularly scheduled programming...

gherrmann

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Cititailor on 61st and Madison? Thanks in advance.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.... I purchased about 15 pairs of Incotex in the Daffy's bonanza and now i need to start getting them hemmed.

Can anyone suggest a tailor near Grand Central or near NYU? If there are not any good tailors in that area... then I would think anywhere near the 4/5/6 trains would be fine.

I have read about some of the fine tailors in this thread... but do not know of getting some Incotex hemmed requires a top of the line tailor (meaning.. the most expensive).

And finally.... is it better to have the Incotex with or without a cuff? I have mostly the chino lino and similiar casual styles. I dont have any of the wool or more formal styles.

Thanks very much

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never used him but HK Tailor Jack has a good reputation and is right in the NYU area (136 Waverly Pl)

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
Hello Everyone.... I purchased about 15 pairs of Incotex in the Daffy's bonanza and now i need to start getting them hemmed. Can anyone suggest a tailor near Grand Central or near NYU? If there are not any good tailors in that area... then I would think anywhere near the 4/5/6 trains would be fine. I have read about some of the fine tailors in this thread... but do not know of getting some Incotex hemmed requires a top of the line tailor (meaning.. the most expensive). And finally.... is it better to have the Incotex with or without a cuff? I have mostly the chino lino and similiar casual styles. I dont have any of the wool or more formal styles. Thanks very much
There is no point to getting a top of the line tailor for pant hems. None. You can even get that done at the dry cleaners. Well maybe if you want to angle the cuff, but even then a lot of places can do that. Try one with cuffs. If you don't like it, take that and the other pairs to the tailor and get them all without cuffs.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Never used him but HK Tailor Jack has a good reputation and is right in the NYU area (136 Waverly Pl)

Thanks very much to both of you guys (gdl and haganah).

I will try the first pair with cuffs and then evaluate from there.

Have an enjoyable weekend.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HKTJ is not cheap from what I understand so you may want to give him a call to check his rates

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ True. I picked up some stuff for my wife and was surprised on how expensive he was.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics