• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I pull myself out of this self-induced rut?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Quit Target.

2. Don't get married until you're at the level you want to be financially and career wise.

3. Go try to see if a Temp Agency will take you on at first. See if you have any marketable skills, they can help you with this. Go to different jobs, see what you like and work your ass off to get where you want to go.

4. I'd still get a degree, who cares about the "purpose". Just having a Bachelors will open doors for you, do it as quick, cheap and easily as possible. Get a bum-**** degree in something you find interesting and try to build some good people/networking skills.

brimley

Reaction score
Would working in a medical field be appealing? Look at certification as an x-ray technician, radiation therapist, nuclear medicine tech, etc. Two year technical degree, no college required; decent pay and hours; possibly personally rewarding?

Otherwise, +1 to the trades.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf
Would working in a medical field be appealing? Look at certification as an x-ray technician, radiation therapist, nuclear medicine tech, etc. Two year technical degree, no college required; decent pay and hours; possibly personally rewarding?

Otherwise, +1 to the trades.

that's pretty money. they can clear 6 figures with OT I think for some of the more specialized ones.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
believe me, do something now or you will perpetuate the cycle and your eventual children will be in the same boat. you owe it to yourself to do better.

+1

I'll add to that - don't get married until you can support a family, or have a track to how you want to support a family.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf

+1 respiratory tech is a great job, there will always be jobs, 2 year comunity college, you can work anywhere in the states, but a lot of jobs in arizona and florida.

deacon.516

Reaction score
In a few years you obviously qualify to be the president (if you have a birth certificate). Until then get a federal job as a park ranger or lighthouse attendant.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ.

You are 23 and working at Target because you're too much of a loser to take genuine action in your life. Your post is full of self-justifications and boils down to a list of things you don't want to do because they are "not for you." Wow. Ever think of doing something that you did not enjoy 100% in order to make some money and begin some sort of career? Stop being a lazy sack of **** working a mindless job and get up and do something with your life. You must be incredibly immature to say "I am just not there" at age twenty three. Grow the **** up and decide what you want to do with yourself and do it. Otherwise you will wake up at 45 wondering where your life went. I can't believe you are getting married as directionless as you are.

I apologize for the tone of this post but I feel it is well deserved.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
Whatever you do, don't force anything upon yourself. I'm 23 years old as well, and while I do have a degree, I don't have the slightest clue about what I want from life. I know very well what I don't want, and that's a start, but without knowing what you want and more importantly what you want to do, it makes things difficult and rather painful.
What is up with this generation of twenty-something year old whiners that have no idea what to do with themselves? Everyone still living at home with their parents post college? Still breast feeding? Don't force anything upon yourself? Whatever happened to hard work, discipline, and some understanding of delayed gratification in order to get somewhere?

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Jesus Christ. You are 23 and working at Target because you're too much of a loser to take genuine action in your life. Your post is full of self-justifications. Stop being a lazy sack of **** working a mindless job and get up and do something with your life. You must be incredibly immature to say "I am just not there" at age twenty-three. Grow the **** up and decide what you want to do with yourself and do it. I apologize for the tone of this post but I feel it is well deserved.
Yes, you need to get some more direction but don't worry if you don't have it all "figured out." I'm 24 and just quitting my job of two years and going traveling in Asia for the summer. I've been accepted into a Mandarin language program in Taiwan that starts in September. If I like it there I will stay and learn the language and explore industries to get into while I'm there. I don't like it I'm coming back my hometown to pursue a Chartered Accountancy. Do I know where either of these paths will ultimately take me? Nope. Am I worried? Not really. I'm just going to try and see what comes up. Don't feel you need to have an exact plan of what you're going to do in a month. I know it's hackneyed and cliched but try a lot of stuff out and follow what interests and excites you. Interested in cars? Try an auto mechanic class through a continuing education program at your local high school. ****, if you've always wanted to spin a pot (a la Patrick Swayze in Ghost) take a pottery class. It doesn't matter, the whole fact that you tried something new will change your perspective. You've mentioned that you're a practicing Christian. Have you given any thought to missionary work? Travel and seeing how others live, especially non-Westerners, has always opened my eyes. I can't believe I just referenced Swayze semi-seriously... Good luck! PS> If you decide to go to school - It's a pretty bad excuse to say "I can't afford college" when over half of scholarships for education issued every year in the US go unredeemed.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
Yes, you need to get some more direction but don't worry if you don't have it all "figured out." I'm 24 and just quitting my job of two years and going traveling in Asia for the summer. I've been accepted into a Mandarin language program in Taiwan that starts in September. If I like it there I will stay and learn the language and explore industries to get into while I'm there. I don't like it I'm coming back my hometown to pursue a Chartered Accountancy. Do I know where either of these paths will ultimately take me? Nope. Am I worried? Not really. I'm just going to try and see what comes up.

I just don't understand this stuff. Don't people want to be wealthy? How are you not worried about your future? At least you have a plan unlike the OP.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I just don't understand this stuff. Don't people want to be wealthy? How are you not worried about your future? At least you have a plan unlike the OP.

Not everybody has $$$$ on the mind.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I want to be wealthy. I am often more money driven than I care to admit. However, do I have a goal of being a millionaire by 35? Nope. I've met too many people that are in high paying jobs because they believe it's where they were supposed to go. They are successful in the sense of having good monetary compensation. However, I don't think they're happy. They're tied down by a lifestyle they have grown accustom to. That being said I've met some hyperkinetic bond traders that are stressed out as hell, make a ton of money but love what they do. Good on them, I just know it's not for me.

At my age, experience and situation I am able to take some time and really dig and see what I want to devote most of my waking hours to for the next 40-50 years. And in an area of the world I believe will be an incredibly important in the next 100 years. For now I know I have the luxury of time. This wil close sooner rather than later but why would you not take advantage of the opportunity?

Moreover, I've had the privledge of meeting some very successful people (financially and otherwise). In all of the successful (and happy) people I've gotten to know and admire they've followed what interested them, became passionate about it and worked extremely hard to become really good at what they do. The money usually followed. They never set out knowing what they would accomplish they just kept going.

Alright, enough rambling...

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lot of good advice in this thread. I strongly recommend taking at least a few classes at a community college. It's a good way to get some gen eds taken care of, but beyond that it's a really good way to experiment with different fields without a lot of risk. I've always had an interest in film, but if it wasn't for the fact that my local community college has a video production program, I never would have gone in that direction simply because film school is such a huge investment. Since you're interested in photography, I would think photography classes would be beneficial, not just for the learning, but also for the opportunities to network and to share your work with others.

Now is the time for you to experiment and try new things. Do it.

I apologize for the tone of this post but I feel it is well deserved.

No it is not. You are a dick.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have fun in Taiwan, which program at which school, I lived in Taiwan until 15 years old.

Sorry for hijacking.

As to the OP, the only thing I can tell you is "try" something. You will never figure out anything if you don't try.

Originally Posted by Aaron
Yes, you need to get some more direction but don't worry if you don't have it all "figured out." I'm 24 and just quitting my job of two years and going traveling in Asia for the summer. I've been accepted into a Mandarin language program in Taiwan that starts in September. If I like it there I will stay and learn the language and explore industries to get into while I'm there. I don't like it I'm coming back my hometown to pursue a Chartered Accountancy. Do I know where either of these paths will ultimately take me? Nope. Am I worried? Not really. I'm just going to try and see what comes up.

Don't feel you need to have an exact plan of what you're going to do in a month. I know it's hackneyed and cliched but try a lot of stuff out and follow what interests and excites you. Interested in cars? Try an auto mechanic class through a continuing education program at your local high school. ****, if you've always wanted to spin a pot (a la Patrick Swayze in Ghost) take a pottery class. It doesn't matter, the whole fact that you tried something new will change your perspective.

You've mentioned that you're a practicing Christian. Have you given any thought to missionary work? Travel and seeing how others live, especially non-Westerners, has always opened my eyes.

I can't believe I just referenced Swayze semi-seriously...

Good luck!

PS> If you decide to go to school - It's a pretty bad excuse to say "I can't afford college" when over half of scholarships for education issued every year in the US go unredeemed.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Lot of good advice in this thread. I strongly recommend taking at least a few classes at a community college. It's a good way to get some gen eds taken care of, but beyond that it's a really good way to experiment with different fields without a lot of risk. I've always had an interest in film, but if it wasn't for the fact that my local community college has a video production program, I never would have gone in that direction simply because film school is such a huge investment. Since you're interested in photography, I would think photography classes would be beneficial, not just for the learning, but also for the opportunities to network and to share your work with others.

No it is not. You are a dick.

If the OP follows on the path of his first post, he will try your suggestions and then decide that they "are not for him" because they might involve commitment, work, and perhaps a little discomfort. "Man, I went to a photography class but I didn't really like the chairs they made me sit on, so I went home."

Glad you think I'm a dick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads