• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncomfortable Truths

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I will give a chocolate bar, however, to the first person to admit they genuinely think they are ugly and buy nice suits to compensate.

I genuinely think I am unattractive to most people, although I don't think I'd call myself ugly. I don't imagine that people look at me and turn away in disgust (although some might chuckle).

I guess it would be impossible to say for sure whether I am trying to compensate with nice clothes. But I'm pretty convinced on a conscious level that no suit, no matter how well cut and made, will re-shape my face, shrink my head, make me taller, or trim my waist. Hell, I dress the way I do despite the fact I could more easily afford to dress in a far more appealing way to my real-life peers. So, who knows what complex underlies my desire to dress well? All I can say is that I am aware it does not make me more physically attractive to others.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I genuinely think I am unattractive to most people, although I don't think I'd call myself ugly. I don't imagine that people look at me and turn away in disgust (although some might chuckle).

I guess it would be impossible to say for sure whether I am trying to compensate with nice clothes. But I'm pretty convinced on a conscious level that no suit, no matter how well cut and made, will make me more attractive in any substantial way. Hell, I dress the way I do despite the fact I could more easily afford to dress in a way far more appealing to my real-life peers. So, who knows what complex underlies my desire to dress well? But I am aware it does not make me more physically attractive to others, and I dont think that's what I'm aiming for.

Thats a whole lotta words just for a chocolate bar !!!
wow.gif

ChiliPalmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
  • Most handwork in RTW is pointless, except as a way to drive up the price tag.
  • Most handwork in general is pointless, except that it's pretty. If you look really, really closely.
  • No one but clothing fiends notices handwork.
  • Buttons don't button any better if they're fat MOP. But they look nice.
  • My linen shirts from H&K and the like have no practical advantage over the cotton-linen ones I bought from Old Navy. My favorites actually came from Old Navy, though H&K has nicer buttons.
  • The main advantage of "good shoes" is that they're pretty. As such, buying ugly shoes on sale is no bargain.
  • We're largely paying for aesthetics and prestige.
  • Buying at full retail no more guarantees a properly fitting, tasteful wardrobe than buying at a discount guarantees a bargain. You either have taste and a commitment to fit or you don't.

So well said. So very well said.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Real men buy $100 rick owens tube socks.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many people look uncomfortable in their clothes.

I totally agree. There's a handful of posters who always look good, regardless of what they are wearing, because they look comfortable in their clothes. PG is probably at the top of that list. He seems to have such a perfectly edited wardrobe where everything just works together. It never looks like he's trying too hard (well, the perfectly polished shoes are the one exclusion).

Parker, Baron, yfyf, and MaoMao also come to mind. I'm obviously leaving out others. But I think those guys are good examples. None of them wear insanely expensive stuff. For instance, a lot of them use Chan. However, they all have really good taste, use both flashiness and restraint well, and pay attention to fit and styles that work well for them.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I will give a chocolate bar, however, to the first person to admit they genuinely think they are ugly and buy nice suits to compensate.

I genuinely know I am overweight and I got into this whole suit/sportcoat thing because I like the way a tailored jacket conceals my bulk.

Is that close? Do I at least get one of the Twix bars in a pack? (Remember, I'm a porker, so I likes me the chocolate.)

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

I guess it would be impossible to say for sure whether I am trying to compensate with nice clothes. But I'm pretty convinced on a conscious level that no suit, no matter how well cut and made, will make me more attractive in any substantial way. Hell, I dress the way I do despite the fact I could more easily afford to dress in a way far more appealing to my real-life peers. So, who knows what complex underlies my desire to dress well? But I am aware it does not make me more physically attractive to others, and I dont think that's what I'm aiming for.

I am pretty sure you know you are not an ugly guy, you just take strange direction with your wardrobe sometimes and make clothing choices that emphasize your diminutive statue. However on other photographs you look great and relaxed; like those few from Italian vacation.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
much of the bespoke posted on the forums is dull, dowdy or shockingly bad.

Quoted for emphasis!!!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I am pretty sure you know you are not an ugly guy, you just take strange direction with your wardrobe sometimes and make clothing choices that emphasize your diminutive statue. However on other photographs you look great and relaxed; like those few from Italian vacation.

dkzzzzzz, you are too mellow in this thread. It's disconcerting to read your posts where you are so uncombative and rational.

I wouldn't say mafoo looks relaxed in his photos, but the Italian ones with the aviators are pretty badass.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To whomever is reading this post: I am better looking and better dressed than you.

Tough to take, but such is life.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks for grounding us matt.
tounge.gif
....So to sum up this post, no matter how much Polo RL i buy, i'm still a skinny ******. Ahh well, *******, i'm off to buy some shorts.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
To whomever is reading this post: I am better looking and better dressed than you.

Probably furrier too.

sloane3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Since we're talking about uncomfortable truths, you are better dressed but you're only about a 5/10. Would've been 6/10 if you weren't going bald. Sorry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads