• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncomfortable Truths

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There are no comfortable brands of thong underwear for men. Don't even bother.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I will give a chocolate bar, however, to the first person to admit they genuinely think they are ugly and buy nice suits to compensate.

I buy ugly clothes to distract from my devastatingly good looks.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
My experiences with Lanvin always took the place around the times when I had brushes with insanity.Ooh! Keep going, please! I'm sure you can accuse me of a Napoleon complex, of being gauche caviar, of being pseudointellectual, vain, pathologically insecure, narcissistic, and probably secretly **** too.

FTR, I used to want a Knoll sofa.
frown.gif

Also, no one actually looks up to Bill. He tries too hard.

PS: thx for teh new sig. kthxbai

you have a Napoleon complex, are gauche caviar, are a pseudointellectual, vain, pathologically insecure, narcissistic, and probably secretly **** too.

I have a Knoll sofa as well. So suck it.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
A few of my own very comfortable truths-apply to yourself as you will.

1. I love my EG Dovers. LOVE them. Sinfully. They fit wonderfully, and they were worth every dollar I spent.

2. I love my bespoke shirts. LOVE them. Sinfully. They fit wonderfully, and they were worth every Hong Kong dollar and US dollar I spent.

3. I love my bespoke suits. LOVE them. Sinfully. They fit wonderfully, and they were worth every Hong Kong dollar I spent.

4. My home is filled with things I've spent hard earned money to buy, things which I likely wouldn't miss if they were stolen (except the Bunn). I probably wouldn't even notice the loss at all in some cases. However, my wardrobe is something from which I derive pleasure every day. It's the one thing I do for myself, and only for myself.

5. Taste and commitment to fit are largely personal and subjective.

6. I've never even heard of a Knoll sofa. Until now. I feel rather snarky about that.

1. Only seasoned veterans should post in threads of this calibre.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
There are no comfortable brands of thong underwear for men. Don't even bother.

Not even RLPL?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Classic style" is usually a codeword for dull and dowdy.

Similarly, much of the bespoke posted on the forums is dull, dowdy or shockingly bad. Not all of it -- there is, without question, a small group of very successful bespoke clients -- but people buy into the romance of bespoke the same way others buy into Tom Ford's glitz and glamour.

Too many people look uncomfortable in their clothes.

glowell222

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I just meant physical things that we could do that would be good for our bodies, as most of us here have rather sedentary office jobs. Play golf, tennis, go for a run, swim, whatever.

We work in an office, sit in front of a computer, then come home and... ALAS... sit in front of a computer.

Yeah, but there's a difference in getting a nice suit and spending $10K in the hopes that somehow Signore Caraceni will help you end up looking less like Bruce Vilanch.

This is a very good point. My best bet to look good is to stay fit. I like to have the attitude that my body is my best accessory, and requires just as much effort as my wardrobe.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
-Everyone who posts on this site probably has a little bit of the taste for the kack, even if they haven't fully embraced it yet. Yes, this means you, too. There's a meetup in your town soon.

-There's something not right in your outfit today, and you hoped nobody would notice. But you know, and now you know I know also, and that's sad.

-You really can't afford most of what's in your closet. It really would have been better put into a savings account or your kid's college fund.

Your kids don't need college fund, fund managers need your kid's college fund.

Let your kids borrow money for college, it will make for good life-lesson to pay it back.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
"Classic style" is usually a codeword for dull and dowdy.

Similarly, much of the bespoke posted on the forums is dull, dowdy or shockingly bad. Not all of it -- there is, without question, a small group of very successful bespoke clients -- but I tend to think people buy into the romance of bespoke the same way others buy into Tom Ford's glitz and glamour.

Too many people look uncomfortable in their clothes.

Doc, shy away from these threads. You are too pure of heart to be caught in the madness.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I just meant physical things that we could do that would be good for our bodies, as most of us here have rather sedentary office jobs. Play golf, tennis, go for a run, swim, whatever.

on that note, designer Rick Owens had a great statement recently in an interview where he said most would be better off spending $ on a gym membership and getting in shape rather than buying expensive clothes. That "being fit" was the new "couture"

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Not even RLPL?

Sadly, not worth the hassle to track those down. It's bespoke or boxers for me now.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Oh, oh, I got one!

There are lots of pictures of guys that look like they're wearing a costume. It's palpable, and immediately noticeable when I see it. Ostentatious Costumism.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads