• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncomfortable Truths

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably have no life if you joined SF in March 2008 and have nearly 6,000 posts.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Wearing expensive workwear makes you a trend whore, not a man's man.
2 inch cuffs look bad on most people.
Bespoke isn't for everyone.
Most people should be buying suits from H&M for interviews, not RLBL.

WRONG!

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
You probably have no life if you joined SF in March 2008 and have nearly 6,000 posts.

RIGHT!

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I liked all of them, but especially this one. Some of the $5-10K suits worn on here are by men so unattractive that I wonder why in the world they bother.

The 95% off one, too, is spot-on and I doubt that most who require sucha discount actually give two ***** about the brand itself. They want it... whatever "it" is... on discount and will often be an absolute pig to get it.

For me, the most "uncomfortable" truth is just to realize that in the grand scheme of things, getting worked up about clothes, accessories, etc. is a really hilariously dumb thing to do. For all this posting, think of the great books we could be reading, places to which we could travel, meals we could eat, friends we could make, or exercises we could do.

I hate to say it, but I totally agree. I am sometimes amazed how the total obsession with clothing seems to be a compensation for other things.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I liked all of them, but especially this one. Some of the $5-10K suits worn on here are by men so unattractive that I wonder why in the world they bother.

The 95% off one, too, is spot-on and I doubt that most who require sucha discount actually give two ***** about the brand itself. They want it... whatever "it" is... on discount and will often be an absolute pig to get it.

I know you're probably being facetious, but I think some of the most stylish men are the ones with weird physiques.

For me, the most "uncomfortable" truth is just to realize that in the grand scheme of things, getting worked up about clothes, accessories, etc. is a really hilariously dumb thing to do. For all this posting, think of the great books we could be reading, places to which we could travel, meals we could eat, friends we could make, or exercises we could do.

You lost me.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's be fair, these men must be attractive to somebody, not just you. Plus, I don't think anyone purchasing a $5K suit is deluding himself into think they somehow become more handsome. You have to deal with what you got in life, and if it's ugly face, well then, not much you can do. Doesn't mean ugly people can't buy nice suits.

I will give a chocolate bar, however, to the first person to admit they genuinely think they are ugly and buy nice suits to compensate.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me, the most "uncomfortable" truth is just to realize that in the grand scheme of things, getting worked up about clothes, accessories, etc. is a really hilariously dumb thing to do. For all this posting, think of the great books we could be reading, places to which we could travel, meals we could eat, friends we could make, or exercises we could do. Instead, we talk to strange men on teh interwebz and buy poofty garments that rarely are "superlative' or great as we pretend they are.

John, that was mean. Ugly people can dress well too.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I know you're probably being facetious, but I think some of the most stylish men are the ones with weird physiques.

You lost me.

A lot of us enjoy sports.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer

burn

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Wearing expensive workwear makes you a trend whore, not a man's man. 2 inch cuffs look bad on most people. Bespoke isn't for everyone. Most people should be buying suits from H&M for interviews, not RLBL.
+1 on this, especially when it's someone who has never worked a blue-collar day in their life.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some of the $5-10K suits worn on here are by men so unattractive that I wonder why in the world they bother.

Ouch. Someone woke up on the wrong side of randallr's bed this morning.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You lost me.

Naw

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You lost me.
I just meant physical things that we could do that would be good for our bodies, as most of us here have rather sedentary office jobs. Play golf, tennis, go for a run, swim, whatever. We work in an office, sit in front of a computer, then come home and... ALAS... sit in front of a computer.
Originally Posted by randallr
John, that was mean. Ugly people can dress well too.
Yeah, but there's a difference in getting a nice suit and spending $10K in the hopes that somehow Signore Caraceni will help you end up looking less like Bruce Vilanch.
Bruce_Vilanch-Bette_Midler_April_2007.jpg
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Let's be fair, these men must be attractive to somebody, not just you. Plus, I don't think anyone purchasing a $5K suit is deluding himself into think they somehow become more handsome. You have to deal with what you got in life, and if it's ugly face, well then, not much you can do. Doesn't mean ugly people can't buy nice suits. I will give a chocolate bar, however, to the first person to admit they genuinely think they are ugly and buy nice suits to compensate.
I'm not talking about everybody having to be gorgeous. No way, no how, though I'd love to be on such a forum. I just think that sometimes there IS compensation when somebody who looks like a bridge troll buys an unbelievably expensive suit and puts his picture for all to see. What is he expecting us to say? "Nice suit, bridge troll?" No, doubtful. I think we all have to be open and honest about our shortcomings. Many do... some, however, do not.

glowell222

Reaction score
A few of my own very comfortable truths-apply to yourself as you will. 1. I love my EG Dovers. LOVE them. Sinfully. They fit wonderfully, and they were worth every dollar I spent. 2. I love my bespoke shirts. LOVE them. Sinfully. They fit wonderfully, and they were worth every Hong Kong dollar and US dollar I spent. 3. I love my bespoke suits. LOVE them. Sinfully. They fit wonderfully, and they were worth every Hong Kong dollar I spent. 4. My home is filled with things I've spent hard earned money to buy, things which I likely wouldn't miss if they were stolen (except the Bunn). I probably wouldn't even notice the loss at all in some cases. However, my wardrobe is something from which I derive pleasure every day. It's the one thing I do for myself, and only for myself. 5. Taste and commitment to fit are largely personal and subjective. 6. I've never even heard of a Knoll sofa. Until now. I feel rather smug about that.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Ouch. Someone woke up on the wrong side of randallr's bed this morning.

He accidentally rolled out of bed and forgot to take his happy pills(as PG would say) that I had set out for him.
marchal.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads