• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do young women prefer casual looks over dress looks?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Most women 28 and above, tend not to favor the too casual look.
Yes and no. It also depends on how mature, educated and/or classy they themselves are. I have seen that these qualities don't necessarily come with age.

Originally Posted by upnorth
The most important rule of all is still dressing to complement your female partner.
Good point.

quinlan

Reaction score
This one is easy.

It depends on 3 things.

#1 Target crowd. Its been said in this thread. If you want the average (albeit attractiave) 'popular girl' from HS then 9 times out of 10 go with the casual look(cargo shorts polo and whatever Nike made this month). If your kind of girl is more trendy dress trendy, if your kind of girl is a business major with an eye on making as much money as possible, fun be forgotten... wear a suit every day.

#2 where are you? Personally I dont want to sit through class everyday wearing a jacket and tie. That being said I wouldn't want to go to a formal in chinos. If you're wearing casual like you laid out thats fine just try to do it a little better than everyone else.

#3 why do you care? You see women aren't going to notice a $$$$$ suit more than they would notice a $$$ suit. That and if you wear it everyday at any school you're wierd, point blank. So whats going to impress them isn't a nice suit, its going to be something small with what you're wearing that they notice. Like your shoes are always clean, you're always wearing a nice belt, your hair is always done, your nails are nice you always wear a nice watch little things they will like a suit, eh.(Oh ps if you go the cargo shorts route dont wear boat shoes or loafers if you're trying to 'fit in' go to a sporting goods store and find a pair of running shoes that are less ugly than the others.)

My advice to you is this wear what you would normally wear if you're trying to impress girls or not. Eventually you're going to want to wear what you want anyway why not start now? And if a chick cant get with you because you like to wear suits screw her. She'll grow up. But do what you do and do it better than everyone else. Dont worry about what they are "attracted to" screw that. Make them like you, dont give them a choice. Be confident, strong and compassionate. Be funny, never let her know exactly what you're going to do or say next. Most importantly treat them like they are your best friend, like you would want your best friend to treat you. Have fun, be serious, be nice, joke, and be there. If you dont treat her right she'll realize it evenutally. Be it now or in 20 years, she'll wake up and realize that she wasted her life on you.

But just be you. Do the things you want to do and if there's a girl that can hang with you through through that she's worth your time. If you're just looking to get laid... buy your entire wardrobe at AE, treat women like crap, watch ESPN every chance you get, and get so drunk you wet the bed at least 3 times a week. Those guys tend to have a bunch of child support money going to at least 3 different women... me, personally, I play for keeps. Whatever you decide.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! But why ESPN?
smile.gif

quinlan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Nice! But why ESPN?
smile.gif

Eh its just a stereotype, the average AE and dirty baseball cap wearing 20 something is into sports way more than they should be. Dont get me wrong I love basketball and football. I played the latter into my early 20's, its just at some point you've got to grow up and it just seems like those d-bags are so immature and they focus everything in their lives around people that were better than them on the field. So if you're looking to get laid it seems that knowing every stat from last nights game is very vital.
confused.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quinlan
Eh its just a stereotype, the average AE and dirty baseball cap wearing 20 something is into sports way more than they should be. Dont get me wrong I love basketball and football. I played the latter into my early 20's, its just at some point you've got to grow up and it just seems like those d-bags are so immature and they focus everything in their lives around people that were better than them on the field. So if you're looking to get laid it seems that knowing every stat from last nights game is very vital.
confused.gif

Totally agree about guys not growing up. Many don't even can't understand why some guys would want to grow up! There is a certain age after which one should stop being a frat boy and start being a man! College-age behavior should end at 30, and ideally, meany years before that.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quinlan
confused.gif

I agree with this. I love playing sports, baseball, softball, tennis, soccer, etc. However sitting in front of a TV or computer screen looking at highlights, stats, and the injury reports is beyond silly and juvenile, unless it's your job to do so.

I have some friends who were like that in college and now they're toning it back a good bit and realizing that watching sports likely will not make them more money or get the laid (some rare exceptions) and they're now focusing more on what they want in life, not what they wished they could be in middle school...

quinlan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I agree with this. I love playing sports, baseball, softball, tennis, soccer, etc. However sitting in front of a TV or computer screen looking at highlights, stats, and the injury reports is beyond silly and juvenile, unless it's your job to do so.

I have some friends who were like that in college and now they're toning it back a good bit and realizing that watching sports likely will not make them more money or get the laid (some rare exceptions) and they're now focusing more on what they want in life, not what they wished they could be in middle school...

Haha I suppose though that the same could be said of every one of us who belong to this forum. I sit around a read (learning, I'm a noob) for hours about clothing. My dress however doesn't consume my life. I've spent the past... 23 or so years of my life dressing poorly and I realized that I felt more mature than the majority of my peers. And then i began to question why I was wearing the same shirts and pants that I did in high school. Hence why I'm here. This is an interest that we share and I think that its the same with sports you can have a healthy interest, many call it a hobby
tounge.gif
, but theres a limit where priorities become skewed.

The majority of those that have skewed sports into an obsession I feel dress as I have stated.

I enjoy this fourm. haha

ovidiu

Reaction score
Just dug up this thread and thought i'd share my view.
To answer the original poster:
I think it depends on the woman's age. Those under 18 prefer more casual look whereas, after they pass 20 something, some of them seem to be attracted by older men. Older doesn't necessarily men formal though.
I think women associate formal wear with wealth so don't be surprised if, even though you picked up this chick while wearing a suit, you find out she was cheating on you with some idiot with no sense of style. Personality matters as well.

What I also found is that the haircut as well as wearing interesting items and accessories make a great impact.

oroy38

Reaction score
Wear what you're comfortable in. Regardless of what you look like, what you wear, the deciding factor is your personality, extremes set aside. You could wear the nicest clothes or have the greatest personal style, but if your personality doesn't fit her desires, then whatever you might have with her just won't last.

The key is using clothes to help convey what kind of person you are. Whether that means you're a jeans/t-shirt guy or Pavarotti in the ever-present tailcoat, wear something that shows you. If a girl is attracted to your personality, she'll be willing overlook a lot of things.

Cognacad

Reaction score
haha this is an eternal question. I have done experiments and go to the bars/clubs/pubs wearing different clothes to see what was most successful. It appears nice casual is the best. But mixing things up with the same people keeps things interesting!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather a silly question really as there is no answer.

Some will like one thing, some another, others will vary depending upon the occasion. Some may like the person under the clothes, wonder of wonders!

Cognacad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Rather a silly question really as there is no answer.

Some will like one thing, some another, others will vary depending upon the occasion. Some may like the person under the clothes, wonder of wonders!

Yes but there is always an average.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
Wear what you're comfortable in. Regardless of what you look like, what you wear, the deciding factor is your personality, extremes set aside. You could wear the nicest clothes or have the greatest personal style, but if your personality doesn't fit her desires, then whatever you might have with her just won't last.

The key is using clothes to help convey what kind of person you are. Whether that means you're a jeans/t-shirt guy or Pavarotti in the ever-present tailcoat, wear something that shows you. If a girl is attracted to your personality, she'll be willing overlook a lot of things.

Definitely. Your clothes and style should be a reflection of yourself.

gboyle138

Reaction score
I'm 25, in grad school, I co-own/manage and am lead bartender at my place. So I'm around a very diverse crowd of women. I always wear a suit when I'm out. Girls like it.

CTD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gboyle138
I'm 25, in grad school, I co-own/manage and am lead bartender at my place. So I'm around a very diverse crowd of women. I always wear a suit when I'm out. Girls like it.

Blazer and trousers is different than a full-on suit (jacket, shirt, tie, lace-ups). Where in Seattle do you not feel like an outcast dressed in a full suit at 25?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads