• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Versatile Shoe Color - Burgundy vs. Brown?

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Reading several thread about shoe color versatility. Some say brown others say burgundy. I would like to poll to see who says what.

Versatile would be matching with pretty much anything, from jeans to dress pants. Casual, Business Casual, Business Dress etc...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In general, I think burgundy is more versatile, but that's largely because there are lighter, tanner shades of brown that can be difficult to harmonize with a darker outfit. I hate it when someone's shoes are the brightest component of his outfit. On the other hand, I don't mind when shoes are darker than everything else.

Now, if the choice were between burgandy and dark brown, I think it would be more of a toss-up.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
In general, I think burgundy is more versatile, but that's largely because there are lighter, tanner shades of brown that can be difficult to harmonize with a darker outfit. I hate it when someone's shoes are the brightest component of his outfit. On the other hand, I don't mind when shoes are darker than everything else.

Now, if the choice were between burgandy and dark brown, I think it would be more of a toss-up.

+1 on this note.

Caveat...I strongly prefer almost any color brown for casual wear (Jeans , Khakis). It might just be me but Burgundy has more of a formal feel to it that lends itself to versatilty in the work place.

In other words...all browns not created equal. Dark brown very versatile. I don't like Burgundy as much the more casual you get.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown, hands down. The only advantage, if that that cordovan colored shoes would have over brown is that it can be worn with black, but who wears black?
devil.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally think brown, but that might be that I like brown shoes better.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Brown, hands down. The only advantage, if that that cordovan colored shoes would have over brown is that it can be worn with black, but who wears black?
devil.gif

My point of view is that burgundy shoes looks just as good as mid to dark brown shoes with grey pants. On the other hand, burgundy gets the edge when matched with blue suits.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My point of view is that burgundy shoes looks just as good as mid to dark brown shoes with grey pants. On the other hand, burgundy gets the edge when matched with blue suits.

+1

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't agree.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I don't agree.

The problem with darker shades of brown is that they can sometimes have a greyish cast to them. Blue cloth almost always has some greyishness in it. The combination clashes in a subtle but tangible way. My ideal brown shoes to match with blue would be a warm, dark brown.

Burgundy shoes don't have this problem.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Warm mid-brown. There's a certain, elusive shade, often seen on old longwings, that would be my choice for the One Shoe wardobe. Add a little patina, for color contrast, and I could wear it almost every day.

I don't like burgundy. I tell myself I ought to, but I don't. I have a pair of shell bluchers in burgundy that sits unworn because of my inability to reconcile myself to this.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I admit, I love the look of warm, almost fiery, chestnut brown leather. Color #8 is boring in comparison, but it's still a nice color, and I personally find it far more wearable.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I don't like burgundy. I tell myself I ought to, but I don't. I have a pair of shell bluchers in burgundy that sits unworn because of my inability to reconcile myself to this.

I like burgundy only in shell; calf never.

I do think brown is more versatile, and I prefer it with navy.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I like burgundy only in shell; calf never.

Ok, maybe that's right

Originally Posted by Manton
I do think brown is more versatile, and I prefer it with navy.

But isn't there a Rule somewhere that says you're wrong about this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads