• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do young women prefer casual looks over dress looks?

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by icanfly012
I dress a 1.5. People have told me that I am hard to approach when I "dress up".
I generally try to do the same. my gf told me today that i appear somewhat arrogant and pretentious when i "dress up" (shirt under a v neck sweater with fitting dark blue jeans). she would prefer it if i were to occasionally dress like the normal guy i.e. t-shirt and jeans etc.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
I generally try to do the same. my gf told me today that i appear somewhat arrogant and pretentious when i "dress up" (shirt under a v neck sweater with fitting dark blue jeans).
she would prefer it if i were to occasionally dress like the normal guy i.e. t-shirt and jeans etc.

I personally don't think a shirt under a v-neck sweater with fitting dark blue jeans is "dressing up" at all, esp. without a blazer and/or tie. It also depends on the occasion (and what mood she is in...
smile.gif
).

Are you sure your gf is not telling you to dress down because other women find the shirt under a v-neck sweater with fitting dark blue jeans attractive? Many women don't like their bfs to dress in a way that attracts the attention of other women (competition)...
smile.gif

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not the clothes. It's the confidence and personality you convey while wearing them. This explains why Cary Grant could look good in a towel, no?

Wear what floats your boat, within the reasonable range of situation-appropriate possibilities.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Snob
omg. you sure do know your women.
this is pretty much hitting the nail on the head.
where do i find "the perfect bad-ass rugged, sophisticated rural urban man who makes them feel special and cherished"???? swoon.

cheers.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Women are full of contradictions and paradoxs...They want a dangerous rebel who is responsible, reliable, loving and affectionate...
The same will apply to clothing..
They do love a man who takes care of himself ,wears lovely clothes but in the same time knows how to be casual...
They also resent very elegant men because they attract more attention than them..

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Women are full of contradictions and paradoxs...They want a dangerous rebel who is responsible, reliable, loving and affectionate...
The same will apply to clothing..
They do love a man who takes care of himself ,wears lovely clothes but in the same time knows how to be casual...
They also resent very elegant men because they attract more attention than them..

+1 You can't really generalise "what women like" but if you are talking about high school girls, as most of this thread seems to be then the best look to get the womenz is probably the same as the other guys but just a little better/smarter. Strong the conformity is with teenagers.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
1. Since when is the typical undergrad 25?
2. If you have to ask this question you stand no chance of success as it is.
3. I just need the express the laughs I am getting from picturing some uptight tool showing up to class in dress pants, a dress shirt, a tie with no sport coat and a briefcase for his books.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women are full of contradictions and paradoxs..
That's what makes them so very interesting. Women are like padlocks. If you don't have the right key, you cannot get through. But if you do have the right key, they will open up to you very fast.

Only insecure women who want to be the center of attention resent men who attract more attention than they do. I know classy, educated, mature women who love to be in the company of elegant men because they see the men as complementing them.

I don't know if this is a coincidence, but those in the latter category I have met lately are all from New York. Bible Belt to New York: Give me your classy, educated, mature, liberal, open-minded women who are not afraid to speak their minds even if they are politically incorrect and who like culture, the arts, etc over kegs and kegs of beer...
smile.gif

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
It really depends on the girl. There are girls who like gentlemen and there are girls who like douchebags.

Not judging your taste, but you gotta know how to dress if you want a specific girl.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Just because you're rich does not mean you know how to dress. All it means is you can buy a better label.

we all know the above is true (Mr. Bown says hello), but doesn't the poster who said there's a correlation between having money and looking well-dressed also have a point? if you're buying $15 dress shirts at target, you're probably not willing to spend more than the shirt's worth in tailoring. secondly, more expensive labels are often cut more flatteringly. i'm not really sure the difference in quality between that dress shirt from target, one from BR, and one from theory, marc jacobs, DKNY, or some other lower-tier lux brand. but a person who is going to fit in the designer labels already has an advantage in body type. on top of that, the designer shirt will fit nicely, the one from BR could fit even if he gained another 20 lbs, and one from target he could parachute with.

of course that's all slowly changing... and why brands like h&m and zara have become so popular. the sears/kohls/mervyns crowd on the same budget actually looks pretty good in those clothes.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cas Ruffin
There are girls who like gentlemen and there are girls who like douchebags.

I think the guy wearing a tie to class and carrying his books in a briefcase in undergrad falls firmly in the "douchebag" camp.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Briefcase? I'm going to bet that depends on the school. It was pretty common when I was a kid. Long ago. Last time I was on campus you'd still see quite a few. Guys,girls in all parts of the school.

Tie? Depends on the person and how it's worn etc. Think of it this way. You can take two guys and put them into biker gear. One looks like a hell's angels member the other could look like a dentist.

taikuodo

Reaction score
You ******** with the naked guy, not his clothes. Nuff said.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think really, variety is the key. If you have been dressing in T-Shirt and Jeans all this while and out of the blue, you start to don a suit, women will take notice. The reverse is also true.

Most women 28 and above, tend not to favor the too casual look. So it also depends on your age group you hang out with. The most important rule of all is still dressing to complement your female partner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads