• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Saks 5th Ave better than Neiman Marcus?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
Houston Galleria

NM> Saks

I like the NM end of the Galleria. Some nice shops there. NM carries Lobb and Saks doesn't
bounce2.gif

marin

Reaction score
My opinion in terms of quality and breadth of offerings:

NYC: Saks and BG -- different but both excellent
Chicago: NM > Saks but not by much (suburbs NM >> Saks)
SF and LA (Beverly Hills): like NYC, different but both are good

In my mind, Saks has usually been more aggressive on price (not just this past holiday season)

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marin
My opinion in terms of quality and breadth of offerings:

NYC: Saks and BG -- different but both excellent
Chicago: NM > Saks but not by much (suburbs NM >> Saks)
SF and LA (Beverly Hills): like NYC, different but both are good

In my mind, Saks has usually been more aggressive on price (not just this past holiday season)

+1

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bergdorf is so much easier to shop at. Everything is so organized and less crowded. I like quiet organized stores. This is why i hate soho shopping.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I like the NM end of the Galleria. Some nice shops there. NM carries Lobb and Saks doesn't
bounce2.gif

Apparently Kent Poole at NM will get you stuff they don't carry since I saw a guy buy some Lucchese Classic cowboy boots a month ago from him.

Did you go to the Lobb trunk show this past weekend? They had the whole 2009 collection including the 2009 winter collection. Some of the 2009 items are getting ridiculously expensive reaching $1900+ for prestige shoes.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SD: NM > Saks ... but I don't have an Amex so NM usually isn't my place.

If I'm in NYC and specifically in a dept. store it will either be BG or Barneys.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think Neiman is a lot more consistent. at least in my neck of the woods. for example, every one of the NM by me carries Isaia, Brioni, Stefano Ricci, Hermes, and other top-of-the-heap brands. they are really hit-or-miss with shoes though, which is what frustrates me the most because i tend to look at those the most.

Saks doesn't seem to make an effort unless it's on Worth Avenue or in Bal Harbour. Bal Harbour has a very nice Kiton and LV area, and Worth just remodeled their men's store to feature a great Cucinelli display and Edward Green. all the other Saks? bleh...

Jacksdad

Reaction score
I hate the fact that Neimans puts a special label on their clothing; i.e. Borrelli for NM and they charge more for it than the same shirt at Saks. They may have more exclusive stuff, but I will 9 times out of 10 shop Saks because of the price difference.

Dranakin

Reaction score
In SF, I actually like the Saks Men's (separate) store better than the NM Men's floor.

contaygious

Reaction score
I like NM better, but they only takes stupid AM which is the most marsupialed thing ever so I pay in cash.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacksdad
I hate the fact that Neimans puts a special label on their clothing; i.e. Borrelli for NM and they charge more for it than the same shirt at Saks. They may have more exclusive stuff, but I will 9 times out of 10 shop Saks because of the price difference.

Its not the same.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior
^ yeah, it's ridiculous how quiet the store is on a relatively busy day.

well saks does get A LOT more people than BG does, plus bergdorfs is mens only so that cuts out a lot of the rif raf.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer BG to Saks, but IMO BG could be much better. They devote so much space to brands that basically have boutiques within walking distance, so it is really only one stop shopping for people that don't have the time/inclination to go to the boutiques. They should focus on building a house label, or at least move away from the big name brands. Just my $.02 if someone from BG is reading.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience with the DC-area NM and Saks, it is impossible to say which one is "better," as they aim for different demographics and carry different lines. NM caters to the moneyed 30-40 something crowd, with a strong dress clothing collection and a pedestrian sportswear collection. Saks targets upwardly mobile 20-30 year olds, carrying a lot of designer sportswear and nice, but not superlative, dress clothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads