• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

GeoPa58

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GeoPa58
A 15-miler last weekend (@7:08), and a 10-miler today (@7:01). Seems like I should be able to run a 3:17 (@7:30) at Boston in a week but, given the crowded field, that seems unlikely (and it would be a PR by almost 4 minutes). I hope to have a good time for me, though, say 2:20 to 2:25.

Make that 3:20 to 3:25. 2:20: I wish!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing some of those Kenyans run 2:30 and under is crazy. 5:xx miles for 26 miles...

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
12 in 1:48. Took along a Hammer bar and chomped on a quater of it every 3 miles. I think I like the bar better than the GU usually take.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 miles, trying to improve on speed, wondeful weather in nyc today though.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Jogging hurts my newly-sprouted genetically-modified breasts.
I prefer doing 100 Eye-Brow Lifts in lieu.
It's the thought that counts.
smile.gif

jwied82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Seeing some of those Kenyans run 2:30 and under is crazy. 5:xx miles for 26 miles...

what's really crazy is that the world-class elites run 4:XX /mi for a marathon.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Pics or it didn't happen.

ok...but only because you asked for it....
..I can't believe I am doing this.
I'll leave the pic posted for 1 hour only...lol

ok...2 hours later...show's over.

GeoPa58

Reaction score
26.2 miles in Boston, under near-perfect conditions (mid-40's, wind not a factor).

PR'd by more than 8 minutes. 3:12 and change. I'm thrilled, don't expect to run one like that again.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 miles in 15 minutes.

eric77

Reaction score
26.2 miles in Boston, under near-perfect conditions (mid-40's, wind not a factor).

PR'd by more than 8 minutes. 3:12 and change. I'm thrilled, don't expect to run one like that again.

Congrats man! I really want to try and run it next year, but I don't know if I'll be able to since its the middle of baseball season. I figure I'll need to get in good enough shape that I can run the marathon and not be sore 5 days later. Seems like a bit of a stretch haha

I hurt my achilles recently and haven't run in a week now, but was doing 8-10 mile runs at 7:30 pretty easily. I might try training this summer and see how things go.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome job Geo! I'm 10 days out from my first marathon and my new realistic goal is to come in under 4:15.

What is the general consensus on using a pace group during the race?

unexpected

Reaction score
quevola, use the pace group if you want, under two conditions:

1) Don't put 100% faith in the pacer to get you across in under 4:15. He may get you in at 4:18. Pacers are affected by the marathon too- in my marathon, there was a pacer who fell sick, and had to drop out halfway through- naturally, he was slowing down as he was about to drop out, and he slowed the whole group down. People were pissed- this was for a 3:10 Boston qualifying pace group.

2) Running with a pace group is like running with a herd of cattle. I hate that. I like my open spaces. Stay 15 seconds behind or 15 seconds ahead of the pacer.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unexpected
quevola, use the pace group if you want, under two conditions:

1) Don't put 100% faith in the pacer to get you across in under 4:15. He may get you in at 4:18. Pacers are affected by the marathon too- in my marathon, there was a pacer who fell sick, and had to drop out halfway through- naturally, he was slowing down as he was about to drop out, and he slowed the whole group down. People were pissed- this was for a 3:10 Boston qualifying pace group.

2) Running with a pace group is like running with a herd of cattle. I hate that. I like my open spaces. Stay 15 seconds behind or 15 seconds ahead of the pacer.

Thanks unexpected - great point about herd running. I do get a bit claustrophobic when running too close to other people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads