• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cts-v

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
It's not the lacking other vehicles, it's the ease of use. To both my wife and I, being able to make a 20 minute stop in the morning, and 20 minute stop on the way home from work, to deal with a service appointment is highly valuable. That comp service loaner just sends you on your way, without a break in your day.

YMMV. This is what makes the world go round
smile.gif

I agree with you completely. Unfortunately, the level of service in this neck of the woods is not the same as other places. I deal with three different service departments and the best, in terms of loaner vehicles, is Infiniti. I never have to even ask for one. Their German counterparts, unfortunately, aren't as generous. Ironically, the Infiniti rarely needs a service visit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
I love the CTS-V and all, but would you guys choose this over the C63??
confused.gif

Maybe. I'm not a fan of the C63.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

Yes, because the CTS-V has more HP and torque, far better handling, and comes with a manual gearbox.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
More impressive is 7:59 on the Nurburgring. Beats a lot of other great cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordsch...test_lap_times

How often do you lap the nurburg ring on your way to work? Ringtimes are way over estimated because 9/10 of the drivers that would buy an AMG, M-series or V series are in no way capable of even coming close to those times.

Personally I'd take a BMW 550i over an M5 any day. It's simply a much smoother ride and in daily traffic makes just a lot more sense. Probably the best of the series is 535d, but i'm not big on diesel.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Yes, because the CTS-V has more HP and torque, far better handling, and comes with a manual gearbox.
Yes.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
Personally I'd take a BMW 550i over an M5 any day. It's simply a much smoother ride and in daily traffic makes just a lot more sense.
I tend to agree, though the power and sound of the V10 in the M5 is addicting.

dave

Reaction score
confused.gif

definitely. it's closer in terms of size, to the E than the C-class and outperforms them both. plus it's better looking.
tounge.gif

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I tend to agree, though the power and sound of the V10 in the M5 is addicting.

+1 but the M5 is ridiculous. I saw one speed past me and take a turn like nothing. The cars body shifted so beautifully, and from that moment on, I vowed to one day become an M5 owner.

Performance-wise, I've heard the M5 is comparable to the M3. I have not looked into it at all. Can anyone chime in?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
How often do you lap the nurburg ring on your way to work? Ringtimes are way over estimated because 9/10 of the drivers that would buy an AMG, M-series or V series are in no way capable of even coming close to those times.

Personally I'd take a BMW 550i over an M5 any day. It's simply a much smoother ride and in daily traffic makes just a lot more sense. Probably the best of the series is 535d, but i'm not big on diesel.

Dumbest post I've read in awhile.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M5 is heavier, but faster in a straight line than an M3. Being heavier and having more power, it's harder on its tires, suspension, and brakes. On a track day, an M5 will stress its components more, and will probably end its day sooner than an M3, either due to overheated tires or brakes.

That said, the real differences between these two cars are far beyond 99 percent of the driving population, and the driver will be the limiting factor.

--Andre

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
M5 is heavier, but faster in a straight line than an M3. Being heavier and having more power, it's harder on its tires, suspension, and brakes. On a track day, an M5 will stress its components more, and will probably end its day sooner than an M3, either due to overheated tires or brakes.

That said, the real differences between these two cars are far beyond 99 percent of the driving population, and the driver will be the limiting factor.

--Andre

thank you for the astute analysis.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Dumbest post I've read in awhile.

Why is that? Because the M5 is cooler than a 550i? I agree, but in normal traffic both the 550i and the M5 are overkill. Most of the time you're in a traffic jam anyway and if you speed you get a ticket. I don't know how it is in the states, but in the Netherlands the chance of being caught speeding is extremely high.

The M5 only has a 30nm torque advantage over the 550i and a 60nm disadvantage when compare to the diesel. In terms of horsepower the M5 is a beast but the other two have more than enough anyway for daily commuter traffic, and how often do you take your M5 to a trackday?

I'd rather get a 535 or 550 for daily use and a Donkervoort for fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads